Azzurri Thread (6 Viewers)

Powis

Dec 9, 2009
It's hard to understand how Italy has gone from having 11 world class players on the pitch to playing dudes like Acerbi and El Sharaawy in their key matches.

All this in 15 years or so. What a downfall

Stephan

Nov 9, 2005
It's hard to understand how Italy has gone from having 11 world class players on the pitch to playing dudes like Acerbi and El Sharaawy in their key matches.

All this in 15 years or so. What a downfall
When did Italy have XI world class players on the pitch last time? Zaccardo started 2006 against Usa and had a shocker. When Materazzi replaced Nesta everyone thought Italy would crash and burn. Even 2021 is depatable (everyone hates Immobile & Bonucci). Italy has had bad tournaments before but tbh i rather not qualify than do a 2010 disaster or 2014 disaster and then blame it all on Balotelli like they did. 2004 wc team every area and crash out on groups.

Acerbi played in CL final 4 months ago. Bastoni is 24 and Scalvini is 20! It makes sense to add experience to that if Scalvini starts. I dont think Acerbi is worse than Bonucci for example and Bonucci played for Italy 10 years.

I have much bigger issues in other areas. I dont think Kean should be even called up. But it shows what issues Italy has in attack. Agree on El Sharawy. That ship has sailed years ago. Cristante is just a body/runner. Midfield lacks quality and creativity. 34 year old Bonaventura is the answer? But it doesnt help if Verratti at 30 f.cks of to qatar or saudi or what ever. And Chiesa is injured every week.

Commentator said smth like England had 8 starters from euro 2021. Italy had 3. That gives England stability and they have more options. Italy has none of that right now.

Maybe it will be good if Italy doesnt qualify. Then Spalletti can start from 0. Right now its all kind of rushed last minute home work before big test with Mancini leftovers.

Italy must qualify for next WC. That should be the main goal now after all what has happened in recent years.

One must also remember though that Italy had last won euros in the 1960s before 21. And it was all doom and gloom also before 21. There will always be ups and downs. I also saw some positives tonight. Nothing changes in one day and there are no friendlies to test new things with a new manager. Mancini should have been sacked 2022 autumn when he failed to qualify for WC. Of course then we dont know who would have managed Italy from then on cause Spalletti was at Napoli. Frankly i dont understand why Ancelotti is going to Brazil.

Last edited:

Stephan

Nov 9, 2005
@Stephan you forgot to mention how stacked Italy appeared on paper and on the pitch in 2002 WC.

Btw, if only Italy had Bonbon backed there. :grin:
2002 i blame the refs though. Byrone Moreno or what ever his name was. Not that Italy would have won the whole thing cause they finished 2nd in the group, maybe they would not have met Korea had they won their group. Trapattoni was already past his prime. 2004 cant just excuse Denmark-Sweden fix. Bulgaria was trashed by both. Italy even was losing 1:0 half time. Sweden beat them 5:0.

- - - Updated - - -

Has it ever happened that a reigning champion cannot defend his title?
We pray hard.
France 1984 won. 1988 failed to qualify.

But it was only 8 team tournament too.

Last edited:

maxi

Aug 31, 2006
Absolutely I just dont get their mindset at all. I mean where did it go wrong after the Romans?
They'd be rolling in their graves if they saw the state of Italy today that's for sure.

I might be getting carried away with your point but I really do think a lot of it comes from the fact that after the fall of the Roman Empire, the Italians had been a fractured people for a very long time, and this period fostered a load of regional differences that are still present today. I think that in part explains this kind of tribalism and jealousy that has corrupted the mindset of Italians and the political system out there. They can't put aside their internal bickering and infighting for the sake of the country as a whole. Always got to bring the other one down.

Fab Fragment

Dec 22, 2018
2002 i blame the refs though. Byrone Moreno or what ever his name was. Not that Italy would have won the whole thing cause they finished 2nd in the group, maybe they would not have met Korea had they won their group. Trapattoni was already past his prime. 2004 cant just excuse Denmark-Sweden fix. Bulgaria was trashed by both. Italy even was losing 1:0 half time. Sweden beat them 5:0.

- - - Updated - - -

France 1984 won. 1988 failed to qualify.

But it was only 8 team tournament too.
Trappatoni was 80% of the problem. He was still stuck in the 70's mindset. Of course that jerk of a referee didn’t help but Italy should never have been in such a situation to begin with.

Badass J Elkann

It's time to go!!
Feb 12, 2006
They'd be rolling in their graves if they saw the state of Italy today that's for sure.

I might be getting carried away with your point but I really do think a lot of it comes from the fact that after the fall of the Roman Empire, the Italians had been a fractured people for a very long time, and this period fostered a load of regional differences that are still present today. I think that in part explains this kind of tribalism and jealousy that has corrupted the mindset of Italians and the political system out there. They can't put aside their internal bickering and infighting for the sake of the country as a whole. Always got to bring the other one down.
It's like embedded in their culture, I could say the same about some other countries too but ive never known any country quite like Italy where they're set up to fail but quick to blame others.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Trappatoni was 80% of the problem. He was still stuck in the 70's mindset. Of course that jerk of a referee didn’t help but Italy should never have been in such a situation to begin with.
They were robbed of goals against Croatia and Mexico as well. They had no less than 5 legitimate goals taken away from them.

Against South Korea there was Tommasi's goal, obviously. But Del Piero was elbowed in the face with impunity and Totti was sent off, when he probably should have gotten a penalty. I don't know if Italy would have won it. But the truth is we will never know how good that team was, because that tournament was corrupted as fuck.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)