Azzurri Thread (39 Viewers)

Bianconero_Aus

Beppe Marotta Is My God
May 26, 2009
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54881728

I was reading this having a chuckle to myself. Scotland have a Euro playoff final coming up so they went back to some players and the manager to discuss the narrow loss to Italy in 2007 that stopped them getting to Euro 2008.

I love how they get so wrapped up in the "disgraceful" awarding of a free-kick but only begrudgingly admit that Ferguson was offside for his equaliser. Not only that, Italy had a perfectly good Di Natale goal given offside at 30' that would have made it 2-0 and killed Scotland.

Has to be said that the Spanish officials had an awful game.

People really do remember what they want to from these moments @Suns
Will never forget that game. Playing in the driving rain, early Italy goal, and then Scotland put Italy under intense pressure until their goal, which was offside by a mile.

I remember watching it with Italian commentators, Fabio Capello was one of them (literally weeks before he took the England NT job) and he was screaming “MA NOOOOO, FUORIGIOCO” :rofl:

Gigiventus

Mar 3, 2017
Who would take Orsolini in a squad of 23?

If you take the "wide forwards" on both sides of Mancini's formation you can take perhaps 5 players from a list of Insigne, Chiesa, Berardi, Bernardeschi, Orsolini, El Sharaawy and Grifo. Zaniolo also largely plays from the right when he is fit.
The problem for Orsolini, and everyone else, is that he is a right winger 100%. And most of these wingers play on the right.

Berardi, Bernardeschi, Zaniolo all play on the right primarily

Insigne, Grifo can play on the left.

Then you have Chiesa, El Shaarawy that can play on both sides.

Orsolini basically can get in if Zaniolo doesn't recover, and Mancini prefers him to El Shaarawy.

Gigiventus

Mar 3, 2017
Yeah it's weird. Mancini has a love affair with Grifo for some reason. He is "that" player that always ends up called by a NT that none can explain.

I don't think he will make the final squad. But between injuries and preferences, he is in the conversation.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
Italy so in control, Poland don't look like they want to or can match the level of intensity. But it's the same lack of cutting edge up front. They just keep going and hopefully will do enough.

Mancini has done well to promote this culture of performance and fighting for places even in these glorified friendlies. As the Sky commentator said, there are 3, maybe 4, guaranteed starters in this line up, but they all put in a high level of intensity and ask questions. The same with the extended squad last week.

Gigiventus

Mar 3, 2017
Total domination of Poland. Excellent half, conceded nothing to them and created good chances. The 1-0 seems short given the performance but its looking good so far. Hope they keep it up in the next half.

The 3 midfielders + Insigne make the game flow so well. Its Sarri's Napoli stuff. Emerson, Florenzi, and Bernardeschi are fitting in nicely too. Would like to Castrovilli take Barella's place in situations like these to penetrate more since Verratti is missing. The only encouraging sub available given the crisis is Berardi, hope he comes on.

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
Italy so in control, Poland don't look like they want to or can match the level of intensity. But it's the same lack of cutting edge up front. They just keep going and hopefully will do enough.

Mancini has done well to promote this culture of performance and fighting for places even in these glorified friendlies. As the Sky commentator said, there are 3, maybe 4, guaranteed starters in this line up, but they all put in a high level of intensity and ask questions. The same with the extended squad last week.
I feel like the team is playing about as good as anyone could expect it to but the lack of quality up front will only get them so far. it's their limit imo.

Does Barella ever have a bad game? Feel like everytime I see him he is good.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 33)

• Alin