Azzurri Thread (51 Viewers)

AFL_ITALIA

MAGISTERIAL
Jun 17, 2011
How did they play? I wasn't able to watch the game.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk
Not a great game. They played like they didn't care at all, which given the circumstances makes sense. Greece defended with everyone behind the ball in their area, so not many chances were created. Verratti was amazing though aside from the two or three times he held the ball for too long. Dribbled around the Greek players the whole time like they were cones.

Mar 31, 2019
Not a great game. They played like they didn't care at all, which given the circumstances makes sense. Greece defended with everyone behind the ball in their area, so not many chances were created. Verratti was amazing though aside from the two or three times he held the ball for too long. Dribbled around the Greek players the whole time like they were cones.
Well I guess at the end of the day, qualifying for an international tournament for the first time in 4 years is all the matters, f*cking Ventura.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
I didn't think that they didn't care, it's just that Greece came with a youthful and determined team who looked to spoil and counter. It's hard to play against that the longer the game goes on, but I always felt one goal would come at least.

Unlike the Ventura days and that Sweden game for example, the team has variation in its play and doesn't just look to get wide and bomb crosses in when this scenario arises.

Bianconero_Aus

Beppe Marotta Is My God
May 26, 2009
I didn't think that they didn't care, it's just that Greece came with a youthful and determined team who looked to spoil and counter. It's hard to play against that the longer the game goes on, but I always felt one goal would come at least.

Unlike the Ventura days and that Sweden game for example, the team has variation in its play and doesn't just look to get wide and bomb crosses in when this scenario arises.
Their coach used to coach in the A-league for many years (Melbourne City). Lol so random to see him managing a game at the Olimpico against Italy...

Gigiventus

Mar 3, 2017
Wouldn't say they played like they didn't care. Greece had the whole team defending and in the first half the team seemed unsure of how to break that down.

Agree with @JuveJay , the goals always felt that they were coming. Never a stressful game. The opposite of that Sweden game with Ventura. The second half the team played much more creatively. Even 2-0 is not a large result, from the looks of it I thought a 3rd goal would come.

The midfield is amazing. Jorginho, Verratti and Barella control the game so well. It's such a wealth of choice to think of the players excluded. Sensi, Pellegrini, Zaniolo and Bernardeschi would have been ideal players to unlock Greece. Yet we still dominated and won. Shout to Spinazzola, owns the left flank. Shame for his fitness, otherwise an immense player.

The only question remains the attack. Stop with Immobile, it doesn't work. Just play Belotti always, play Balotelli, Kean, or even Petagna, Lasagna, Donnarumma, I don't know. Just know that Immobile for whatever reason doesn't work for the nazionale. I would try to see how Balotelli works in bringing Chiesa and Insigne into the attack, same with Petagna. Their link up play can be good to make the wingers into the main scorers. Otherwise go with Donnarumma, he seems to always score. All of this when Belotti isn't playing of course.

Knowah

Pool's Closed Due to Aids
Jan 28, 2013
Wouldn't say they played like they didn't care. Greece had the whole team defending and in the first half the team seemed unsure of how to break that down.

Agree with @JuveJay , the goals always felt that they were coming. Never a stressful game. The opposite of that Sweden game with Ventura. The second half the team played much more creatively. Even 2-0 is not a large result, from the looks of it I thought a 3rd goal would come.

The midfield is amazing. Jorginho, Verratti and Barella control the game so well. It's such a wealth of choice to think of the players excluded. Sensi, Pellegrini, Zaniolo and Bernardeschi would have been ideal players to unlock Greece. Yet we still dominated and won. Shout to Spinazzola, owns the left flank. Shame for his fitness, otherwise an immense player.

The only question remains the attack. Stop with Immobile, it doesn't work. Just play Belotti always, play Balotelli, Kean, or even Petagna, Lasagna, Donnarumma, I don't know. Just know that Immobile for whatever reason doesn't work for the nazionale. I would try to see how Balotelli works in bringing Chiesa and Insigne into the attack, same with Petagna. Their link up play can be good to make the wingers into the main scorers. Otherwise go with Donnarumma, he seems to always score. All of this when Belotti isn't playing of course.
Immobile experiment needs to end and Balotelli needs to come back to the Azzurri.

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
yea Immobile is still terrible for Italy. shouldnt be in the squad at all.

If Kean can get back on form then i would play him otherwise they should probably just play a false 9 from one of the wingers.

belotti himself has never really shined and i wouldnt look to build anything around balotelli

Tak!

Jun 23, 2011
I've basically only seen Zaniolo twice but I know people here rate him very high. I saw him once when he was subbed on against Lecce. He didn't do anything but neither did the rest of Roma. In the other game, I can't remember against who, he was also mostly invisible. Seemed to play in a mezzela role and against Lecce almost like a winger.

What kind of player is he? Why is he so highly rated? Genuin questions out of curiosity because I haven't seen him play.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 49)