Azzurri Thread (46 Viewers)

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
Santon if fit, or a poorer option would be Balzaretti, but unfortunately I don't think Santon will play enough.
Santon sure is talented but he is in a difficult spot, he hardly plays at Inter and they won't want to let go of their last Italian son.

Maybe Maicon's departure will give him some space at RB under Benitez but currently he doesn't seem to be in the international scene.

Dec 31, 2008
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Geneva, Swiss, SunSans-Regular]Albertini wants Italian Iniestas[/FONT]
Wednesday 4 August, 2010
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]The Vice-President of the FIGC Demetrio Albertini wants Italy to produce its own Andres Iniestas under his watch.

The 38-year-old, who played at Barcelona albeit briefly in 2005, is keen to oversee a cultural change in Italian football.

Earlier this week, the FIGC hired Roberto Baggio, Arrigo Sacchi and Gianni Rivera to help improve the game on the peninsula.

Interviewed in La Gazzetta dello Sport, Albertini said: “I was in Spain. They go looking for youngsters with talent there. A player cannot be 'complete' aged just 18 in Italy.

“I remember with gratitude the fundamental training exercises of my first teacher at Milan, Zagatti: ball to the left, ball to the right… Tactics make you win games, but they don't shape youngsters. However, Sacchi's cultural values remain valid.

“Today it's much more difficult for a youngster to come back from a loan because he finds his place occupied by a foreigner. And it's also harder work playing in the lower divisions. The big clubs should create second teams who play in the Lega Pro or the Amateur Leagues. That will be my cavalry charge.

“It's not an experiment: Leagues like this exist in Spain, Germany, England and France. Today a youngster in Italy plays in the Primavera until he is 21, then goes on tour and matures at 23 or 24: it's too late.

“If you face opponents from Serie A or Serie B [early in your career], you are ready for the top flight at 18 or 19, like Iniesta who is 26 and has been playing in La Liga for eight years.

“For instance, from Barcelona's second team, which plays the same formation as the first team, notable players have come through like Pedro, Busquets…”

When asked if the Reserve League would cost too much money to run, Albertini scoffed and said: “Only the management of the League would cost money. The Primavera teams are already under contract. And if a Balotelli or a Macheda matures, the club has great advantages. Don't talk business, talk advantages.”
[/FONT]

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
Although I don't think that Italy should start trying to play like Spain just because they are the flavour of the month, the English FA have tried to copy every successful formula before and it doesn't work.

May 22, 2007
Although I don't think that Italy should start trying to play like Spain just because they are the flavour of the month, the English FA have tried to copy every successful formula before and it doesn't work.
Germany do it as well don't they? They're another league which has seen notable and successful developments of domestic talent going by last summer in the U21 and the WC.

If there was a Juventus B or whatever (JuBentus :D) then the attitude of the coaches will also have to be changed to encourage them to use players.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
I didn't mean the league setup, rather the style of football. Although I can see why a guy who played like Albertini would look at players like Iniesta as models, even if the article title is misleading.

May 22, 2007
Marchetti, Sirigu, Viviano

Antonini, Astori, Bonucci, Cassani, Chiellini, Lucchini, Molinaro, Motta

De Rossi, Lazzari, Marchisio, Montolivo, Palombo, Pepe

Amauri, Balotelli, Borriello, Cassano, Quagliarella, Rossi

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
It's especially funny considering that Gasperini said all the foreigners in Serie A are ruining the Azzurri, yet some play for them.

:howler:
Well, for better or for worse, Prandelli is simply following the rules set forth by FIFA.

Unless you believe that Mario Gomez is actually German, of course.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 44)