Azzurri: Lippi recalls Blasi (3 Viewers)

sateeh

Day Walker
Jul 28, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Andy ] ++

He can pass the ball when he's not in the middle of the pitch, however we saw what he could do for us last season in central midfield...need I go on?
u talk about him like he couldnt pass. He played for most of the last season in midfield.i think he did good last season, and he is doing well this season.

sateeh

Day Walker
Jul 28, 2003
well u need someone to do the dirty work in the team...i dont need to explain to u that don

everyone remembers how gattuso started out, he was even much worst than blasi... and now ancelotii depends on him

Zizou

Apr 21, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Tifoso ] ++
Gattuso and Del Piero just can't stop playing with ech athor's hair
Gattuso exposing DP's bald spot :eek: :D

About the selections, it's a pity that Lippi left home somevery in-form players. With Italy just needing one point from these two games I would have tried these in-form players to see if they're good enough for the national team. I understand leaving Panucci out (unfortunately), but Oddi, Balleri, Cassetti for full back position should have been called (at least one of them).

For central midfield I would have given a chance to players like Fiore, Volpi or even Brocchi. All have been doing extremely well and could give that extra to the usually uncreative Italian midfield.

For attack players like Bonazzoli or Lucarelli should have been given a chance. Even Chiesa has been more on fire than Gila or Vieri. The only forwards who have been performing well and got called-up are Totti and Iaquinta.

Lippi likes to stick too much to his trusted players. I guess that would also explain why he always used to play DP at Juve no matter what ;) But this time round I fear he's not risking enough; he's repeating Trap's mistake of not calling Gilardino for the Euro.

ZhiXin

Oct 1, 2004
Azzurri: Lippi looks to Grosso Friday 7 October, 2005

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Marcello Lippi is putting his faith in local hero Fabio Grosso against Slovenia and has experimented with Luca Toni and Alberto Gilardino upfront.

“I have no doubts over my line-up, as Gianluca Zambrotta will be on the right and Fabio Grosso on the left,” explained the Italy boss ahead of Saturday’s World Cup qualifier.

The versatility of Juventus star Zambrotta is a key factor for the Azzurri, as he can play on either flank in a full-back or wide midfield position.

“I want to make the most of Grosso’s crossing abilities and his current form, so I will switch Zambrotta over to the right to make room. I thought about it for a little while, but now I have no doubts it is the right choice, especially as we are playing in Palermo.”

Grosso is one of several Rosanero players who have made their mark on the current campaign and he’ll be a local hero when the teams run out in the Stadio Renzo Barbera tomorrow evening.

Former Palermo striker Toni is also set to start after his hat-trick against Belarus, but he could get an intriguing new partner. During the training session, Lippi experimented with Toni and Milan’s Gilardino for a powerful front two.

Gilardino has been struggling since his move to the San Siro and has scored just two goals in six games for the Rossoneri, though the Coach refused to be drawn on what his choice of centre-forwards would be. Only a point is needed against Slovenia to qualify for the 2006 World Cup, but Italy lost the reverse fixture 1-0 – their last defeat in official competition.

“We know that we’ll be playing against a side that’ll do everything it can to beat us and maintain its own hope of qualifying,” noted Lippi.

“I told the lads to put themselves in Slovenia’s shoes, as they have only one result that would help them. We must be wary, as I expect an entertaining and hard-fought game of football. I want to see an Italy performance that is solid and determined. This game is worth more than the result, as we need a good show to increase our confidence.”

There was concern for Fabio Cannavaro during today’s training session when he left the field after a clash of heads with his former Inter teammate Marco Materazzi. The Nerazzurri defender was medicated for a cut to the forehead, but Cannavaro underwent tests after suffering dizzy spells. Medical staff assure both will be fit to face Slovenia

source: channel4.com

Espectro

The Grimreaper
Jul 12, 2002
++ [ originally posted by ZhiXin ] ++

There was concern for Fabio Cannavaro during today’s training session when he left the field after a clash of heads with his former Inter teammate Marco Materazzi. The Nerazzurri defender was medicated for a cut to the forehead, but Cannavaro underwent tests after suffering dizzy spells. Medical staff assure both will be fit to face Slovenia

source: channel4.com
:rolleyes:

Eddy

The Maestro
Aug 20, 2005
Why am I not surprised....

OP
Tifoso_old

Tifoso_old

Aug 12, 2005
  • Thread Starter #36
    Italy's formation tomorrow

De Sanctis

Zambrotta RB
    Grosso LB
    Cannavaro
    Nesta

Gattuso
    Pirlo
    Camoranesi
    Totti

Toni
    Gilardino

Eddy

The Maestro
    Aug 20, 2005
    Camo sees Juve-style Azzurri

Saturday 8 October, 2005

The Azzurri XI set to face Slovenia this evening has Juventus stars in key roles and Mauro Camoranesi feels the same team spirit here.

“This Italy squad resembles my club side,” said the Argentine-born midfielder. “It has a winning mentality, several Bianconeri players forming a solid nucleus and a Coach with a Juve past. This is a team that has good feet.”

Lippi is ready to adopt a 4-4-2 system for tonight’s World Cup qualifier, and has already confirmed he will move Gianluca Zambrotta over to the right-back role.

He’ll be one of several Juve players along with Fabio Cannavaro, Camoranesi and possibly Manuele Blasi and Alessandro Del Piero. The former Verona man believes that above all the major change has been one of approach.

“There is more quality in the international set-up now, but more than anything else, before Lippi we used to focus on our opponents’ style more than our own.”

Juventus are flying high in Serie A and the Champions League, with their Coppa Italia experience still to begin, and Camoranesi is eyeing The Treble.

“I really can’t think about the World Cup yet, as there are eight months to go and anything can happen in that time. Besides, I have three club competitions to win first and the most important success would be in Europe.”

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)