Azerbaijan vs Italy (1 Viewer)

denco

Superior Being
Jul 12, 2002
Trap unveils new-look Italy Friday 6 September, 2002

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Giovanni Trapattoni has confirmed the starting line-up to face Azerbaijan in Saturday’s Euro 2004 qualifier.

Alessandro Del Piero will fill in for the injured Francesco Totti as a Trequartista – an unusual role for the Juventus man – behind front two Christian Vieri and Filippo Inzaghi.

The training sessions have shown Vincenzo Montella on fine form and it is likely he will be drafted in for the second half.

Trap realises this is a crucial encounter for his future on the Italy bench, but was met with great enthusiasm by a crowd at Baku in Azerbaijan after a four-hour flight.

“I am also greeted with similar warmth and affection in Italy,” he assured, “but you journalists always try to make things look bad.”

However, he lost his smile when told about FA President Franco Carraro’s claims that everyone was 100% behind Trapattoni.

“I don’t want to talk about this now. I want to discuss the team and nothing more.”

The Azzurri open their Euro 2004 qualifying campaign and must earn a victory if rumours of an early change of management are to be dispelled.

Trap has taken on board suggestions following the disappointing 2002 World Cup campaign, turning to a 4-3-1-2 formation with attacking full-backs Christian Panucci and Francesco Coco.

Probable line-ups

Azerbaijan: 1 Kramarenko; 2 K Guiliyev, 5 Karimov, 6 Ahmedov, 3 E Agayev; 7 Imamaliyev, 4 M Gurbanov, 10 Sadygov, E Guiliyev, 11 S Aliyev; 9 G Gourbanov

Italy: 1 Buffon; 2 Panucci, 6 Nesta, 5 Cannavaro, 3 Coco; 7 Gattuso, 8 Tommasi, 4 Di Biagio; 10 Del Piero; 9 Inzaghi, 11 Vieri

Ref: Vassaras (Gre)

Football Italia

Buy on AliExpress.com

Tom

The DJ
Oct 30, 2001
++ [ originally posted by ErikP ] ++
Am I the only one not confident about Trap??
no you're not. He made some terrible decisions in the world cup and I'm not sure he can still cut it at the highest level.

bad errors (IMO)

-switching to 4-4-2 after using 3-4-1-2 successfully for several years
-not playing Del Piero
-keeping faith with Totti even though he was playing poorly
-against South Korea..not trying to score again!
-continually bringing on the inept Di Livio
-not taking Tacchinardi at all
-even considering starting Inzaghi
-not taking Di Vaio but including Delvecchio
-hardly using Coco
-hardly using Montella
-playing Materazzi instead of the superior Iuliano

so really I was rather hoping he would be sacked and replaced (by Capello)

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
++ [ originally posted by Paolo_Montero ] ++-even considering starting Inzaghi
I won't get into that discussion again with you! :D

You've got some excellent other points there though! Capello would be great! (Especially since he would have to leave Roma :D)

dpforever

Prediction Game Champ 2003 & 2005
Jan 12, 2002
NO WAY :fero: Italy will win this at all costs !!

Anyway, I think Azreb will defend tightly and we may get out of this with a 2-0 win :cool:

FORZA ITALIA !!

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
I like this 4-3-1-2 formation Trap is using,but some of his choices are bad ones in my opinion. I would replace Panucci with Massimo Oddo in defence,and add some more creativity and solidity to the midfield by putting in either Ambrosini or Brighi (I don't know why he wasn't called up).

Hopefully Del Piero adapts to the playmaker position and plays well.

My Prediction : Azerbaijan 0 Italy 3

Vinman

2013 Prediction Cup Champ
Jul 16, 2002
Its make or break for Trap................

Italia 1 Azerbaijan 0

Another uninspired Azzurri performance

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
Nah man! I don't care what anyone says,but drawing with Azerbaijan is nearly impossible for the Azzurri. With or without Trapattoni,Italy have the quality to take a good result from this game!

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
France are being held by Cyprus at the moment! Cyprus took the lead on 15 minutes and Cisse equalised for France just before half time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)