Axel Witsel - AM/CM - Zenit (21 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
Not the exciting player with flair I was hoping for, but he is probably the best option for or current situation. Our midfield is lacking the grinta Vidal provided, he should fill that roll well. And with this price, you really can't complain.
Before you get disappointed more due to unrealistic expectations, Witsel is not a grinta player ala Vidal lol.

Skickat från min SM-G930F via Tapatalk

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
This perception of soft is interesting. I'd assume many would think Lemina is a physical player yet Allegri himself said he doesn't impose himself nearly enough. Pogba was physical when he had the ball but he wasn't exactly a ball winner.
:agree:

People have this strange perception that players who aren't super fast runners and insane work rate types are soft. Intelligent players are soft apparently.

A guy like Khedira doesn't have to run around the pitch like a madman because his positioning both offensively and defensively is exquisite. His football intelligence is off-the-charts. Which is why he doesn't have to play the same frenzied style as Vidal to have a big effect on games. But this doesn't mean he is a soft player who can't physically impose his will when the situation calls for it.

- - - Updated - - -

He's a strong player yes, but his style is very classy, and his slowness definitely doesn't make him tough.

Probably the same for Witsel, but in a bigger scale.
Slow doesn't equal soft. Khedira is capable of physically imposing when necessary and there are countless examples of him doing so. I wouldn't call him a super "tough" player, but he is strong and physical, only his intelligence on the pitch means this isn't the only trick in the bag for him.

Same deal with Marchisio. Exceptionally intelligent with decent physique and good intelligence.

These types of players often position themselves so as to limit unnecessary attempts at tackles, etc. better at interceptions and being in the right place, forcing players into bad passes, etc.

A player like Vidal more than makes up for his weakness in the above area with his insane work rate and his (somehow calculated) recklessness with tackling.

To be quite honest I wish we still had Vidal. Khedira-Marchisio-Vidal with Pjanic at AM (or even Pjanic at LCM and Vidal at AM) would be such a fantastic midfield. So balanced. One can only hope Lemina can develop into the Vidal type, or Asamoah can provide a semblance of it.

I think the Witsel signing for the price mentioned is just fine, and hope he surprises us by finally fulfilling that potential he showed at Benfica. Perhaps the Juve work ethic will run off on him. :D

Flamez

Feb 7, 2011
You guys will be oh so surprised. He is a very good midfielder, borderline top quality.

It is surprising to see Juventus fans not appreciating his qualities with Marchisio and Khedira's impact on board to witness. He is a similar player, simply put. Technically sound and tactically intelligent. Also versatile, position wise. Perfect signing.

This obsession a lot of fans have with the midfield needing raw phisicality bugs me out, by the way. Juve is a top team now, so that is a secondary trait to look for in a midfielder and far from a crucial one. Just like it was secondary to Pogba's game and NOT his main asset. He mostly used it offensively anyway, in his dribbling.

Juventus need players capable of not cheaply losing the ball in high pressure games. As simple as that. Khedira, Marchisio, Witsel and Pjanic are all more than good enough for that.

Lastly, what's the problem with Witsel or Khedira being 'slow'? Is Khedira not a VERY dynamic mid, nonetheless?

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
Is their anyone here who reallg dislikes this deal apart from Zach? If so i would like to know why. Not so i can argue i just want to know more about the player..
We could done considerably better, he is a bland all around mediocre player.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
You guys will be oh so surprised. He is a very good midfielder, borderline top quality.

It is surprising to see Juventus fans not appreciating his qualities with Marchisio and Khedira's impact on board to witness. He is a similar player, simply put. Technically sound and tactically intelligent. Also versatile, position wise. Perfect signing.

This obsession a lot of fans have with the midfield needing raw phisicality bugs me out, by the way. Juve is a top team now, so that is a secondary trait to look for in a midfielder and far from a crucial one. Just like it was secondary to Pogba's game and NOT his main asset. He mostly used it offensively anyway, in his dribbling.

Juventus need players capable of not cheaply losing the ball in high pressure games. As simple as that. Khedira, Marchisio, Witsel and Pjanic are all more than good enough for that.

Lastly, what's the problem with Witsel or Khedira being 'slow'? Is Khedira not a VERY dynamic mid, nonetheless?
:tup:

Fantastic post. People are ridiculous about this physicality thing. Intelligence + Technical Ability + Skill all come far ahead of Physicality.

And Khedira is a very dynamic mid. All one has to do is watch his gameplay to see that.

Witsel, not so much, as far as dynamic goes. But calling him mediocre, shit, garbage is absolute nonsense. He's a very solid midfield player, who is technically good, very consistent, and makes very few errors. It's definitely a decent signing as a 4th/5th midfielder in our rotation.

Assuming Khedira-Marchisio-Pjanic will be our top 3... Witsel and Asamoah are likely 4 and 5, on a similar level if Asa stays healthy. Lemina just below them. That's a fantastic set of midfielders when Lemina is your 6th option. :D

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
We could done considerably better, he is a bland all around mediocre player.

He's not, but I understand why you'd say that. I think he has been misused by managers and he has also made the 'mistake' of going to Russia.

He's a good player, definitely above average and not mediocre. But we're Juventus. We need the best of the best. And Witsel does fall short of that imo.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Pjanic - Khedira - Witsel is the slowest and softest midfield Ive ever seen, literally

But the squad is amazing now, with Cuadrado. We just have a gap right now - and a very important one - as we only have one creative midfielder in the whole squad. If Pjanic doesnt play, we wont have guys to create in there. This last signing ideally would have been a guy like that, not a soft side passer.

Anyway, 8/10 mercato. Witsel was weak, Higuain's signing is questionable IM0, the rest was great.
Lol. It's slow, yeah. But Witsel and Khedira are very strong physically.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
He's not, but I understand why you'd say that. I think he has been misused by managers and he has also made the 'mistake' of going to Russia.

He's a good player, definitely above average and not mediocre. But we're Juventus. We need the best of the best. And Witsel does fall short of that imo.
:tup:

If Marchisio gets back to top form for the CL knockouts, and Khedira stays healthy this year, it's a great purchase of a rotation player.

Those are big "ifs" though. Hopefully the above happens and he's just injury cover to start the season, and then first/second rotation option off the bench. Unless he finally lives up to the promise he showed at Benfica... then things could get exciting :D

Klin

نحن الروبوتات
May 27, 2009
You're not getting it straight. Wasyl didn't shoot the ball. He made a tackle for it. And quite the strong one.

But I get it. You feel sorry for him and aren't able to separate the end result from the actions of both players and are letting it cloud your judgment. That's a shame, but you're hardly the first I guess.
How dare he?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 12)