Automatic gear VS Manual gear (1 Viewer)

Bisco

Nov 21, 2005
I was joking with the pussies part man.

Don't get offended but if that's the case than you were never a confident driver to begin with. By leaving a manual and going for a automatic you just accepted defeat and chose the easy way out. All you needed is practice with the stick, like I said it becomes second nature very quickly.
i need a car first :D ia m lucky enough my friends let me drive there cars on certain occasions. to be honest its not about confidence vlatko its just the amount of coordinationu need. u r right thou after a while it becomes as easy as swtiching channels on the t.v set.

Buy on AliExpress.com

K0STA

Jul 12, 2006
automatic is the best for heavens sake with manual ialways tend to concentrate on switching ears rather than cocentrating on the road. to be honest i know when i have to change a gear up wards i,e from first to second and so on but when it comes to going downwards i never really understood when to do that.
automatic is not for pussies vlatko and i never felt like it doesnt give u control over the car i think its easier and alot more fun. besides now in new cars they have semi automatic gear box i e u can control which gear u r on so u never lose the beauty of accelrating and controling yr car without the need of a clutch.
Thats because you are not used to Manual gearbox:) After a while, the desicions about switching comes automatically...

Yeah there are Tiptronich gearboxes with +/- and Automatic... but thats still not the same as manual.

With Manual you have full control of your car! Someone mentioned about engine care, thats also true, with manual transmission you take better care of engine;

Anyway - It depends on what type of traffic you drive often, Also your prefferences about sports driving etc. There is no simple comparison;

I personally use Manual, and will be using until I get about 40, When you are young I ADVISE MANUAL!!!

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
there is sth called Ds ( its similar to the L gear) it basically does lowers the rpm yet gives the car soo much torque and grip to go up a mountain is that what u were referring too erik???. as for the triptronic thing i honestly never tried it but observing a friend of mine who drives a megane he shifts to d1 and then d2 if i am not mistakened.
What about going down a mountain? I use the gears (thus the engine itself) to slow down the car, meaning you don't have to kill your brakes instead.

Bisco

Nov 21, 2005
Thats because you are not used to Manual gearbox:) After a while, the desicions about switching comes automatically...

Yeah there are Tiptronich gearboxes with +/- and Automatic... but thats still not the same as manual.

With Manual you have full control of your car! Someone mentioned about engine care, thats also true, with manual transmission you take better care of engine;

Anyway - It depends on what type of traffic you drive often, Also your prefferences about sports driving etc. There is no simple comparison;

I personally use Manual, and will be using until I get about 40, When you are young I ADVISE MANUAL!!!
over here in cairo the top speed in some roads is 80km/h due to the crowded roads.

V

Jun 8, 2005
  • V

V

I remember during my second or third driving class (meaning the second or third time I had ever driven a car cause it's impossible to practise with your parents car in this country: densely populated + lots of cops) I was at a traffic light and I had forgotten to put the gear back in 1, it was still on 4.

So the light hit green, I hit the gas and we start moving veeeeery slowly. So I floor the gas pedal but still no good.

So we're moving across an intersection at 5 km/h, slowly going on 10, there's other people honking at me, I tell my instructor "Dude I think your car broke down"

"You're in 4th, Einstein" :howler:
Jesus, how did you manage to get it going in the first place? :lol:

i need a car first :D ia m lucky enough my friends let me drive there cars on certain occasions. to be honest its not about confidence vlatko its just the amount of coordinationu need. u r right thou after a while it becomes as easy as swtiching channels on the t.v set.
Trust me, it's all about practice. ;)

Bisco

Nov 21, 2005
What about going down a mountain? I use the gears (thus the engine itself) to slow down the car, meaning you don't have to kill your brakes instead.
regarding the brakes it true erik the brakes are the first thing that get harassed when u drive automatic.

as for going down hill this is what i would do to be honest. i'd lift my foot off the accelerator and just try mainting a certain speed. its true my brakes will be worn away quickly but thats the only thing that u can do.

this is sth i have seen on my friends lancer 2006automatic. there is this D's system i mentioned earlier and when u r on the normal d and wish to brake the car to reduce speed with out braking u shift to Ds and that literally brings the car to a lower speed. the rpm decreases and the car just has this grip on the road after u shift to Ds. the same applies to accelerating if u switch to Ds while yr foot is ont he accelertor the car just accelerates faster.

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
Jesus, how did you manage to get it going in the first place? :lol:
I just floored it :mute:

Trust me, it's all about practice. ;)
Definitely. I had real problems making a quick start when I needed to (on busy intersections etc you gotta get moving fast or you'll be a nuisance). I would try to get moving quickly and instead of giving it more gas, I would let the clutch come up too fast which of course kills the engine. Embarassing to have to restart in rush hour, cyclists are going around you etc :D

Took me a good month of lessons to get over that.

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
regarding the brakes it true erik the brakes are the first thing that get harassed when u drive automatic.

as for going down hill this is what would do to be honest. i'd lift my foot off the accelerator and just try mainting a certain speed. its true my brakes will be worn away quickly but thats the only thing that u can do.
That just sounds dangerous to me :undecide:

this is sth i have seen on my friends lancer 2006automatic. there is this D's system i mentioned earlier and when u r on the normal d and which to brink the car to reduce speed with out braking u shift to Ds and that literally brings the car to a lower speed. the rpm decreases and the car just has this grip ont he road after u shift to Ds. the same applies to accelerating if u switch to Ds while yr foot is ont he accelertor the car just accelerates faster.
Hmm see that makes it complicated again. You might as well just learn to drive with a manual gear box.

V

Jun 8, 2005
  • V

V

Definitely. I had real problems making a quick start when I needed to (on busy intersections etc you gotta get moving fast or you'll be a nuisance). I would try to get moving quickly and instead of giving it more gas, I would let the clutch come up too fast which of course kills the engine. Embarassing to have to restart in rush hour, cyclists are going around you etc :D

Took me a good month of lessons to get over that.
It's usually like that, though mastering the clutch was never an issue for me, I had a really good instructor and I'm proud to say I have NEVER killed my engine on a traffic light since I have my license, which is 2 years now. :stuckup:

But it is kinda embarrasing, yeah. :D

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
It's usually like that, though mastering the clutch was never an issue for me, I had a really good instructor and I'm proud to say I have NEVER killed my engine on a traffic light since I have my license, which is 2 years now. :stuckup:

But it is kinda embarrasing, yeah. :D
It hasn't happened since I have my license no, that would be seriously embarassing. At least the giant L on the instructor's car is somewhat of an excuse :D

Did you pass the first exam? I had to re-take it cause some jackass cut me off :lazy: Passed it the second time tho, wee.

But I don't drive well under pressure. The only reason I passed the second time is because there were about 5 unexpected situations (think in terms of kids suddenly running onto the street from in between parked cars wtf) that I handled well so the lady said "That was an extremely mediocre ride but you're a safe driver so I'm gonna let you pass"

meh :D

V

Jun 8, 2005
  • V

V

It hasn't happened since I have my license no, that would be seriously embarassing. At least the giant L on the instructor's car is somewhat of an excuse :D

Did you pass the first exam? I had to re-take it cause some jackass cut me off :lazy: Passed it the second time tho, wee.

But I don't drive well under pressure. The only reason I passed the second time is because there were about 5 unexpected situations (think in terms of kids suddenly running onto the street from in between parked cars wtf) that I handled well so the lady said "That was an extremely mediocre ride but you're a safe driver so I'm gonna let you pass"

meh :D
Hmm...yeah...:shifty:

Seriously, I flunked the first 2 times. I drove really well but my instructor was a jerk at exams. As much as he is a good instructor when it comes to explaining stuff and the whole driving experience, he was sooo terified about the safety of his car. Which was ridiculos as he drove a freaking old Renault Clio. :rolleyes:

Aynwho, both times when I flunked he intervened even though there was no need for it as I was really aware of the situation. But no he thinks I don't have eyes so he steps on the break at the smallest site of danger. As you know every intervention by the instructor results in failure.

Both times it was rush hour straight through the city and both times I had to go around a car that was parked litterally on the middle of the street, with all the signal lights flashing. So both times I slowed down a little, gave the old right singal light, turned my head right to check "point blank" (if that's how it's called in English) but wouldn't you know it some people are in such a hurry and use the extra yellow lane that's solely for BUS/TRAM/TAXI. So my instructor braked and said I was going to fast and was to close to the cars that were passing me by using the yellow lane. FFS i wasn't going fast at all and I wasn't able to be any further from them or I would have hit the parked car in the middle of the street.

Shitty luck actually, same thing happened to me twice. :sick: But after getting my license it's been smooth sailing ever since.

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
Hmm...yeah...:shifty:

Seriously, I flunked the first 2 times. I drove really well but my instructor was a jerk at exams. As much as he is a good instructor when it comes to explaining stuff and the whole driving experience, he was sooo terified about the safety of his car. Which was ridiculos as he drove a freaking old Renault Clio. :rolleyes:

Aynwho, both times when I flunked he intervened even though there was no need for it as I was really aware of the situation. But no he thinks I don't have eyes so he steps on the break at the smallest site of danger. As you know every intervention by the instructor results in failure.

Both times it was rush hour straight through the city and both times I had to go around a car that was parked litterally on the middle of the street, with all the signal lights flashing. So both times I slowed down a little, gave the old right singal light, turned my head right to check "point blank" (if that's how it's called in English) but wouldn't you know it some people are in such a hurry and use the extra yellow lane that's solely for BUS/TRAM/TAXI. So my instructor braked and said I was going to fast and was to close to the cars that were passing me by using the yellow lane. FFS i wasn't going fast at all and I wasn't able to be any further from them or I would have hit the parked car in the middle of the street.

Shitty luck actually, same thing happened to me twice. :sick: But after getting my license it's been smooth sailing ever since.

Aye that sucks. Yeah the first time he intervened with me too, jackass. I totally coulda handled that :D

But your instructor also takes your exam? We get different people for that, people I've never seen before so they aren't biased: they really only look at how you perform during the exam. They don't know your history, your weaknesses etc. I like that, it gives you a clean sheet.

V

Jun 8, 2005
  • V

V

Aye that sucks. Yeah the first time he intervened with me too, jackass. I totally coulda handled that :D

But your instructor also takes your exam? We get different people for that, people I've never seen before so they aren't biased: they really only look at how you perform during the exam. They don't know your history, your weaknesses etc. I like that, it gives you a clean sheet.
Of course not but the instructor is there in the co-driver seat so he can intervene when there is danger. The examer is a bloke you've never seen before and he is behind you taking notes and acting all smart and stuff. :D

chester

Too busy to bother
May 20, 2006
(meaning the second or third time I had ever driven a car cause it's impossible to practise with your parents car in this country: densely populated + lots of cops)
I had more luck, a friend of mine his father is a farmer and during the winter, when soe land of his wasn't used, we bought an old car that didn't pass the motor vehicle inspection and we drove that until it "died" so I learned to drive, shift gears and so on, came in handy for my first lessons.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Burn your clutch or burn your brakes. Some choices, eh?

Well, I generally prefer manual for the control it offers. But there are times -- like anytime in traffic on the local bridges or the steep hills of SF -- where an automatic would really come in handy...

Bisco

Nov 21, 2005
Burn your clutch or burn your brakes. Some choices, eh?

Well, I generally prefer manual for the control it offers. But there are times -- like anytime in traffic on the local bridges or the steep hills of SF -- where an automatic would really come in handy...
:agree: exactly

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)