Arturo Vidal (102 Viewers)

donkenke

Nov 25, 2013
Juventino[RUS];4373398 said:
Vidal has played plenty time for the NT and Bayer as central defender, it's not new position for him
Actually, he played once as a CB an was a disaster. Maybe youre a bit confused. Bielsa place him as a LB or SMF (left).

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
Was a game that suited Vidal being in central defence.

Juve didn't have to do any real defending that required the sort of postioning and marking you look for in a centre half - that game only saw Juve having to defend in big, open spaces and in disorganised situations against counter attacks.

It's the sort of thing that Barca are accustomed to and why they are fine playing Mascherano in defence a lot, but he gets found out in games where there is more serious defending to do in more organised situations.

Anyway, it worked well for Juve because Vidal is undoubtedly more comfortable defending in big spaces like that than Bonucci is.

venus_isle

Sep 23, 2010
i dont think vidal have the body type and aerial skill to go against big forward like ibra / drogba / lewa / torres / etc.
and vidal sometimes make late tackles foul, its ok if he did it in midfield, but chances are he'd do it often inside the box as a defender.. that would be catastropic.

id say keep vidal in the midfield.

Pirlo's Beard

Junkie Joe Joyce
Oct 2, 2013
Yeah he can do a damn fine job there, but we would lack height at the back, and his constant tackling would be a lot more of a worry in and around our box. More FKs and Penalties would definitely go against us. And even FKs against some of the other teams in Europe can decide a tie.

- - - Updated - - -

One bonus though is he's obviously better on the ball than the other CBs, and we're less likely to see an individual error costing us a goal with Vidal as opposed to Ogbonna or Bonucci.

Rufio

Nov 24, 2012
- - - Updated - - -

Complete false. He played as a LB in his whole career in Colo Colo and Chile U20 played as a CM. In Bayern Leverkusen always played as a CM.
Neither in Colo Colo or Chile Uxx he played as a CB ever. As a Chilean myself, i have seen this with my own eyes.

In Bayern Leverkusen i cant say cause i didnt see all the matches. I know he always played as a CM, but i remember that one time he was forced to play in other position, maybe CB, but only one time.

In Chile adult team he was asked to play as a CB for one match. The result was a disaster. He never did it again. The fault was of an inoperative Claudio Borghi, who was a truly disaster.
From the time he entered at Colo Colo until the day he left (at 19 after the U-20 WC) he played as a defender.

In Leverkusen he played both roles until he was settled as a DM.

Bielsa used him as LB and other defensive roles and for Borghi he played mixed roles including CB, and not just for one match.

Need to get you story straight, compare.

Amer

Feb 13, 2005
What a player. So versatile, true fighter, team leader.

Also he has many other qualities that are rarely emphasized, like being one of the best penalty takers in Europe right now.

Elvin

Nov 25, 2005
His PK's are kinda risky but so precise most of the time... tho I'm afraid he's gonna miss a big one some day cause of his power-based technique.

donkenke

Nov 25, 2013
From the time he entered at Colo Colo until the day he left (at 19 after the U-20 WC) he played as a defender.

In Leverkusen he played both roles until he was settled as a DM.

Bielsa used him as LB and other defensive roles and for Borghi he played mixed roles including CB, and not just for one match.

Need to get you story straight, compare.
WTF?. Man, thats no true, why u insist. I watch every qualify match for WC U-20, and he ALWAYS play as a CM. ALWAYS. He actually was chosen as one of the best Midfielders of that tournament. In Colo Colo he always played as a LB. Every single match. The whole 30 games he played was as a LB. In Copa Sudamericana and in Torneo Nacional.

And Borghi placed him ONCE, as a CB. That match was against Colombia, 3-1 in Santiago. Maybe the worst match Chile played in the last 4 years. The worst game from Vidal in quite a while.

The only defensive place that Bielsa made for Arturo was LB. LMF was the other option.

Next time you quote me, do it with arguments.

Vlad

In Allegri We Trust
May 23, 2011
WTF?. Man, thats no true, why u insist. I watch every qualify match for WC U-20, and he ALWAYS play as a CB. ALWAYS. He actually was chosen as one of the best Defenders of that tournament. In Colo Colo he always played as a CB. Every single match. The whole 30 games he played was as a CB. In Copa Sudamericana and in Torneo Nacional.

And Borghi placed him ONCE, as a LB. That match was against Colombia, 3-1 in Santiago. Maybe the worst match Chile played in the last 4 years. The worst game from Vidal in quite a while.

The only defensive place that Bielsa made for Arturo was CB. LB was the other option.

Next time you quote me, do it with arguments.
So you're saying that he always played as CB. Thanks for the input. :tup:

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
His PK's are kinda risky but so precise most of the time... tho I'm afraid he's gonna miss a big one some day cause of his power-based technique.
I love his kind of penalties.

I hate seeing penalties taken where the keeper basically has a 50-50 chance of saving it because he'll get to it if he guesses correctly.

I'm not even all that keen on the Balotelli style disguised/waiting for the keeper to move type penalties.

If you are a good striker of a ball, you should be able to either place the ball well enough or hit the ball hard enough that what the keeper does is an irrelevance - he has no chance of saving the penalty whatever he does.

For that reason, I'd be pretty tolerant of Vidal inevitably, sooner or later, hitting the post or the bar or putting one over the bar.

Obviously you'd hope it wouldn't be a very important penalty it happens with, though.

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
Vidal shoots with power but he is defenitely not the type who hopes and prays while he blasts it, clearly comibing power and precision fairly well. Shooting hard and high is risky, but its very effective if you master it because the keeper has no chance even if he goes there.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 92)