Artificial Pitches (1 Viewer)

Vinman

2013 Prediction Cup Champ
Jul 16, 2002
Wednesday, November 10, 2004

UEFA go-ahead for artificial pitches

UEFA today opened the way for a pitch revolution in football by sanctioning the use of artificial turf in all European competitions, including internationals.
After several years of lobbying, European football's governing have finally accepted that the latest synthetic pitches are a good enough alternative to natural grass to allow professional football to be played on them.

UEFA spokesman Rob Faulkner told reporters: 'People in England have bad memories of the artificial pitches of Luton and QPR in the 1980s, but the latest generation are completely different and are much more like grass.

'We have sanctioned its use from the start of next season but only as long as it is the latest generation of artificial turf and meets a whole series of standards.'

UEFA had ordered a two-year study into synthetic surfaces to monitor any differences from the bounce of the ball to the number of injuries suffered by players.

Although European Championship qualifiers now will be allowed on synthetic pitches, UEFA will continue to insist that the finals are staged entirely on grass so that all teams in a tournament play on the same surface.

Several leading clubs from Scandinavia, Russia and eastern Europe - especially those who only play Champions League or UEFA Cup matches in winter - are now expected to instal artificial turf in preparation for the start of the 2005/06 season.

I play indoor on this new type of turf...its just like grass !!

The only difference is you have to use turf shoes on it. They have a different feel to them than regular outdoor boots (turf shoes are heavier)

What do you guys think ???

Buy on AliExpress.com

3pac

Alex Del Mexico
May 7, 2004
THOSE FIELDS ARE HORRIBLE. i had a tournament on them, theyre lovely for play, but you cant slide. this is what happens when you do, my leg:

3pac

Alex Del Mexico
May 7, 2004
it doesnt look that bad there, but ive had huge scabs all across my leg for the last month. the scrapes were actually bleeding at first, so when you slide for the 2nd time its even more painful

OP
Vinman

Vinman

Jul 16, 2002
  • Thread Starter #5
    Were you playing on the new turf, or that old NFL style rug ???

I have slid a few times on this stuff, but haven't had the same misfortune.

The biggest problem I've had is those little pieces of rubber getting into my shoes....

OP
    Vinman

Vinman

Jul 16, 2002
  • Thread Starter #6
    ++ [ originally posted by K10 ] ++
    Would the footballers have to wear Turfs in this case?

I would assume so...

Regular boots wont work too well......

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by BayernFussball ] ++
    I actually had to get skin graphs on my FACE!
    you're kidding..

I wonder how 'grass-like' this artificial turf is. If it's just regular astroturf, I don't think it should be used in professional football. It's just not the same as grass

Apr 12, 2004
    No, I am kidding. But, i have played on Astroturf, as well as Astroplay, which consists of a short gass that is plastic, and rubber chips under the top of the pitch. Neither one is good for sliding, and I do not recomend them for professional matches.

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Vinman ] ++

The biggest problem I've had is those little pieces of rubber getting into my shoes....
    I play on this kind of turn weekly. They are great, but like you said, players must now wear turf shoes on this kind of grass because regular boots cuts the grass.

I'd imagine that the new turf would accomodate regular boots.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
    ++ [ originally posted by BayernFussball ] ++
    No, I am kidding. But, i have played on Astroturf, as well as Astroplay, which consists of a short gass that is plastic, and rubber chips under the top of the pitch. Neither one is good for sliding, and I do not recomend them for professional matches.
    That latter is actually pretty fun to play on. Much better than some of the dried-out pitches we could have played on.

But somehow, even though the pitch was perfect, Cushwa somehow was able to miss three absolute sitting chances, thus losing my first game as Captain. :lazy:

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
    ++ [ originally posted by gray ] ++
    Andy, you're the captain? Good stuff mate
    No, I was the Assistant Captain for our Varsity team. The main Captian was out with injury, Tony Aziz, and I took his place for a few games. I actually have a better understanding of the game, and I'm more knowledgable, but he was best the player on the team.

3pac

Alex Del Mexico
    May 7, 2004

the new stuff with the rubber bits

its awesome for ball control but now im afraid to play on it since im worried ill come off the field with no skin left

a few years ago i also slid on that old bright green NFL style astroturf, OUCH

Sid

Nov 10, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by Sir Sebastian ] ++
    THOSE FIELDS ARE HORRIBLE. i had a tournament on them, theyre lovely for play, but you cant slide. this is what happens when you do, my leg:
    my friend injury was worse but happened by the same cause....i hate playing on artificial grass...my movement are limited:(

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Sir Sebastian ] ++

the new stuff with the rubber bits

its awesome for ball control but now im afraid to play on it since im worried ill come off the field with no skin left

a few years ago i also slid on that old bright green NFL style astroturf, OUCH
    That's why in most indoor facilities that use astroturf, sliding is not allowed.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    I hate it when people spit in indoor soccer games. It's a red card offence but some idiots do it anyway :yuck:

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    Friggin finally!!! May not make much sense where the grass is green but up here they postpone the season every year cause of snowfall! And when the pitches are frozen, there isn't much point in playing. Happens in Serie A too that..

No kidding, I've transported about a tonne of that rubber into my house via the shoes the last few years.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by Martin ] ++
    Friggin finally!!! May not make much sense where the grass is green but up here they postpone the season every year cause of snowfall! And when the pitches are frozen, there isn't much point in playing. Happens in Serie A too that..
    Oh right, I totally didn't think of that :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)