Arsenal (1 Viewer)

ahmed_sabry

Jan 31, 2004
arsenal style is great in EPL , tey can win it unbeaten but they cant do anything in CL , in oppesite of chelsea , thier performance isn't good in EPL but very good in CL

Alex

May 1, 2004
I can't see any EPL team winning this year. Chelsea may have many stars but none of them are superstars. As for Arsenal, there forwards can be marked out of the game and their back line isn't the greatest. Man U don't have continuety and are lacking the class players of the past.

OP
Valley

Valley

Apr 20, 2004
  • Thread Starter #26
    I don't know about marking the Arsenal forwards out of the game. Henry is tough to mark for sure. Bergkamp just turns up all over the place. And if you concentrate on those two, Reyes and Pire will punish you.

However, Viera was pretty useless last night. Gilberto showed a few nice touches.

And their backline, yeah, I have no idea how they manage to keep such a good defence with such poor defenders in general. Toure is really no big deal. Lauren is not much good either. And Cygan, I've never rated him. Ashley Cole is excellent, so long as he doesn't get caught out of position. Sol Campbell is also handy, but injured currently and getting on a little bit too.

Erkka

Mar 31, 2004
    ++ [ originally posted by Andy ] ++

Whats wrong with hockey Bes? :groan:
    it's the same here than it's in Canada... Hockey is all that people talk about, hockey has just too much power here... :down: Luckily football has been doing better and better here, in some beatiful day football will go over hockey as the most popular sport in here...

River

Jun 15, 2004
    Yeah whats to stop them? I don't know, maybe the likes of Barcelona, Milan, Inter, Juventus, Real Madrid, and Valencia? Not to mention Chelsea. ;)
    You can say that about every team. But maybe your right and Arsenal and MU should just give up and go home. God help them, they might draw JUVE!. Nooooooooo :D

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by Alex ] ++
    I can't see any EPL team winning this year. Chelsea may have many stars but none of them are superstars. As for Arsenal, there forwards can be marked out of the game and their back line isn't the greatest. Man U don't have continuety and are lacking the class players of the past.
    Duff is close. If he'd been fit last season, I think they'd have won the CL, and pushed Arsenal to the last day in the league. Seriously, his fitness and their form are basically the same thing.

Arsenal's forwards can't be marked out of it. What you can do is push hard on their two pivot DMs, forcing them to lob the ball forward to a collection of very fast, skillful forwards, who can't head the ball. :fero:

Man U will pick up when their players are all fully fit/unsuspended. They have an excellent bunch of strikers, a backline about as solid as Juve's, and a decent keeper. What they lack is their old strenght: their midfield is in transition. Ronaldo is too young, Keane is too old, and Giggs and Scholes aren't nearly as consistant as they used to be.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
    ++ [ originally posted by River ] ++

You can say that about every team. But maybe your right and Arsenal and MU should just give up and go home. God help them, they might draw JUVE!. Nooooooooo :D
    I hope all teams in Europe underestimate the true quality of Juventus, much like you do River. It will help us out a lot. :D

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
    ++ [ originally posted by mikhail ] ++

Duff is close. If he'd been fit last season, I think they'd have won the CL, and pushed Arsenal to the last day in the league. Seriously, his fitness and their form are basically the same thing.

Arsenal's forwards can't be marked out of it. What you can do is push hard on their two pivot DMs, forcing them to lob the ball forward to a collection of very fast, skillful forwards, who can't head the ball. :fero:

Man U will pick up when their players are all fully fit/unsuspended. They have an excellent bunch of strikers, a backline about as solid as Juve's, and a decent keeper. What they lack is their old strenght: their midfield is in transition. Ronaldo is too young, Keane is too old, and Giggs and Scholes aren't nearly as consistant as they used to be.
    Thats exactly right about Arsenal. The way to stop their attack is to pressure the midfield, not sit back and wait for them to come. You clog up the midfield, and make sure Henry is marked up all the time. This will effectively spread the ball to the wings, thus making Arsenal have to cross the ball to forwards who can't make headers and cutting off Henry's supply line. Its fairly simple to accomplish.

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by Alex ] ++
    I can't see any EPL team winning this year. Chelsea may have many stars but none of them are superstars.
    Ahhh, but hasn't the last few years taught us that superstars don't matter if they don't win as a team?

For all of last season's jokes about Chelsea being a Serie A team in the EPL under Ranieri, this year they are a Portuguese team in the EPL under Mourinho. And while Mourinho won it last year (and the UEFA Cup the year before) with a less expensive squad, I don't see a repeat.

Call it the curse of the EPL.

(God, I hate it when networks like Fox Sports World beats their chest over the EPL's superiority -- because they cover it. Superiority over the English-speaking football world, maybe. But really -- the EPL is no better than #3 in Europe.)

As for Arsenal, there forwards can be marked out of the game and their back line isn't the greatest. Man U don't have continuety and are lacking the class players of the past.
    Man U can be pretty awesome once (if?) that team gets healthy. One thing I do like about Fergie is that he isn't afraid to play young, budding talent -- and they certainly have it. Their bench is stronger than most starting teams out there. But I don't see them coming together this season in the CL.

As for Arsenal, I think their style of play is limited in an elimination format. Defense wins championships, as they say, and what they have isn't good enough to combat, say, a Chelsea in a do-or-die situation in the CL. I could even see Arsenal getting into trouble with Depor, for example.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
    ++ [ originally posted by swag ] ++

Ahhh, but hasn't the last few years taught us that superstars don't matter if they don't win as a team?

For all of last season's jokes about Chelsea being a Serie A team in the EPL under Ranieri, this year they are a Portuguese team in the EPL under Mourinho. And while Mourinho won it last year (and the UEFA Cup the year before) with a less expensive squad, I don't see a repeat.

Call it the curse of the EPL.

(God, I hate it when networks like Fox Sports World beats their chest over the EPL's superiority -- because they cover it. Superiority over the English-speaking football world, maybe. But really -- the EPL is no better than #3 in Europe.)
    Thats exactly why I'm getting sick of watching FSW Swag. Its also ridiculous when they must talk about the Man City-Aston Villa match for five minutes, and then not even speaking a word about the Juve-Parma match LATER in the show. I can't wait till I get Gol TV, so I won't have to watch the FSW crap anymore.

As for Arsenal, I think their style of play is limited in an elimination format. Defense wins championships, as they say, and what they have isn't good enough to combat, say, a Chelsea in a do-or-die situation in the CL. I could even see Arsenal getting into trouble with Depor, for example.
    On a defensive level, I don't think Arsenal can compete with the big three out of Italy, and even the top four in Spain.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
    ++ [ originally posted by Fliakis ] ++
    on an offensive leven few of those can compete with arsenal.
    You mean Real Madrid, Barcelona, and Milan can't compete on that same offensive level? Arsenal's attack is easy to shut down if you know what you're doing, as stated before. Juventus' attack could even rival Arsenal's when it comes to that respect.

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
    You mean Real Madrid, Barcelona, and Milan can't compete on that same offensive level? Arsenal's attack is easy to shut down if you know what you're doing, as stated before. Juventus' attack could even rival Arsenal's when it comes to that respect.
    Not true. Containing Arsenal is simple in theory, but there aren't many teams with good enough centre-mids to do it. And Juve's attack isn't anything special, even on its best days, much as I'm sorry to say it.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004

Not true. Containing Arsenal is simple in theory, but there aren't many teams with good enough centre-mids to do it. And Juve's attack isn't anything special, even on its best days, much as I'm sorry to say it.
    I'm not talking about the EPL here Mikhail, I'm speaking of the best teams in Europe. Of course Sylvain Legwinski and Mark Pembridge are going to have a tough task with Arsenal, but the midfields of Milan, Valencia, and many others won't find it impossible. Like I said before its one dimensional.

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
    Was it last year Roma tried it? And Henry scored a hat trick. A team with that much pace is dangerous even when you cut the best supply lines. Yes, that's a bit one-dimentional too, but try argueing that to Henry's back as you try to catch him.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
    Was it last year Roma tried it? And Henry scored a hat trick. A team with that much pace is dangerous even when you cut the best supply lines. Yes, that's a bit one-dimentional too, but try argueing that to Henry's back as you try to catch him.
    Yeah, which makes me wonder what will happen to Arsenal once precious Henry falls to injury.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)