Are Football Tactics Still Developing?? (3 Viewers)

ReBeL

The Jackal
Jan 14, 2005
Football has passed many stages during the last century, and many developments have affected the way of playing...I went back to some articles about this topic and briefed it like next:

1- England was using the 1-1-8 or 1-2-7 ways where individualism or the "kick and rush" strategy prevailed...

2- Scotland was using the 2-2-6 where team oriented skills were used...

3- Danubian school: In the 1920s, the Austrians, the Hungarians and Czechoslovakia took the first steps at building on the Scottish method. Playing a style that predicated on short passing and individual skills. This way generally employed a 2-3-5 system that had originated in England. By the 1930s, this style earned the term Wunderteam for the Austrians.

4- Italians under Vittorio Pozzo came up with the Metodo in the 1930s, which essentially asked players to be more responsible at the back end while using a creative midfielder. Result? Italy won back-to-back titles with the 2-3-2-3 formation. It was the beginning of sophisticated tactics that mark the carefully calibrated Italian style that remains until this day.

5- In the same decade, the Argentineans and Uruguayans (1930 World Cup finalists) opted for the 2-3-5 system of the Danube school. With this, the South Americans and Latin Europeans began to leave their imprints on the sport.

6- By the 1950s, the English at the international had remained oblivious to the goings on in world soccer. Choosing to cling on to their superiority, they quickly became obsolete in international soccer. Some say they have never recovered. While England slept, the Hungarians and Brazilians took the Danubian School to other places by reforming it to a 3-5-2 and eventually a 4-2-4. Brazil caught the public's imagination as they mastered the 4-2-4.

7- "catenaccio" or dead-bolt defense which employed a libero or sweeper. Mastered by FC Internazionale Milano and its Argentine coach Helenio Herrera it reached lethal perfection under the Italian national side.

8- Total Football: It remains the strict domain of Dutch football and Ajax in particular. It can be described as if every player is involved in every position during an entire game.

8- In the backdrop of these early inventions, modern formations were born. For example, the 4-3-3 and 4-4-2 being among the most popular. Even these have been adjusted to various degrees like:

• 4-4-1-1 (Italy and Juventus)
    5-3-2 (Germany)
    4-3-1-2 (Argentina)
    4-3-2-1 (AC Milan and Barcelona)
    4-2-3-1 (France, Spain and AS Roma)
    5-4-1 (Liverpool in 2005)

If you note, the trend to defend more is increasing all over the world. Do you think we may see more clubs to play with 5 defenders and only one striker in the future??

Buy on AliExpress.com

Boudz

Mercato Tourist
Aug 1, 2002
4-4-2 is the most balance style, all other forms are just minor adjustments to 4-4-2. I think 4-4-2 will live on for a very long time.

Ascension

Sep 16, 2005
The change football has undergone is the massive increase in the speed of play. Just go 10 years back in time and compare the speed to a 2007 CL game. It's a wonderful blessing the game has faced.

Personally I love it. :pint:

Apr 12, 2004
I think most changes are that football becomes more and more athletic, more physical than technical.
Well, that is true, the formations and playing style reach a glass ceiling where an attacking style cannot out-do a certain defensive style.

But you are correct, 30 years ago they did not have the weights, or as hard training or such physical requirements. This goes along with what you say, players aren't necessarily smarter, they are just bigger, stronger, faster, and more agile.

And I don´t like that.
Well, broseppi, it is the game you have always loved, like it or not.

Gep

The Guv'nor
Jun 12, 2005
Football IS a simple game. Its silly managers who try to be clever and mess around with tactics that get undone. Im a big fan of the 4-5-1 formation. But you need a very good target man for that formation. Drogba for example.

HelterSkelter

Apr 15, 2005
Forwards do get a lot of liberty these days,so its natural for teams to pack their defences.However,i do believe that the game is a lot of tactical in Europe.In South America though,i think its much more 'free flowing' if you like.Im not saying that European teams dont play free flowing football,but there is more 'recklessness' to the South American game.Ive always felt that the South American nations have produced better attacking talent then the Europeans,and the Europeans have done likewise with defensive talent.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
I like catenaccio but generally I think modern football has been a case of getting more and more defensive while trying to have a couple of match winners in your team.

Capello is an example of this: back 4, 2 holding midfielders and 4 other players with some freedom to try and win the game. Not a big fan of this, prefer milan's style with Gattuso leaving everyone else to play.

Henry

Sep 30, 2003
I like 4-5-1, but only when done certain ways. for example 4-3-2-1 with two wingers. but it is a good question whether certain defensive schemes have rendered certain offensive formations obsolete, or if it's really that the players usually aren't good enough technically. certainly we could use more players like c ronaldo (the dribbling, not the bitch part) and less of the brute force types

Boudz

Mercato Tourist
Aug 1, 2002
Dont forget that the introduction of the offside rule heavily influenced football, England used 2 play a 1-1-8??? Offside forced teams to play further back into their own part of the field. Defenders can stray more, move forward to leave a huge gap/trap at the back. It's definitely much more tactical.

sateeh

Day Walker
Jul 28, 2003
thanx for the article Reb

i think we r gonna see teams playing with 5 defenders and one forward. Although the days of liberos are long gone as there aren't technically gifted defenders that can provide much upfront. But still i think we will see some team playing with 5 in the back and fast counters.

and i always thought the 4-3-3 formation was created by a German coach and adapted at some stage with the German national team

Ascension

Sep 16, 2005
To unfold a successful 5-3-2 with wingbacks you need the right players. If you don't you will miserably fail.

Good wingbacks like Zambrotta or Evra would be good enough for a 5-3-2, whereas less defencevely gifted players would essentially more or less destroy the chance of any success.

Jul 23, 2006
To unfold a successful 5-3-2 with wingbacks you need the right players. If you don't you will miserably fail.

Good wingbacks like Zambrotta or Evra would be good enough for a 5-3-2, whereas less defencevely gifted players would essentially more or less destroy the chance of any success.
exactly

5-3-2 is hard to use nowadays since most wingbacks are terrible when it comes to defending

JuvePower

Jan 2, 2006
Well, I am a big fan of the 3-5-2 way of playing, with one man behind 2 strikers, this way, you have many possible passing points. Also the wings are getting used a lot.

Belgico

Numero Venti Due
Dec 28, 2006
The change from defense to attack is very importent these days so i love kind of a 4-5-1 that becomes a 4-3-3 in attack

* goaly
* * * * 4defenders
* * * 3 defending midfielders
* * 2 wingers (midfield men)
* 1 attakcer
And then turn it in to attac

This is a 4-3-3
The only thing that should change is the wingers, they have to go forward, this is a good tactic to me

Belgico

Numero Venti Due
Dec 28, 2006
The change from defense to attack is very importent these days so i love kind of a 4-5-1 that becomes a 4-3-3 in attack

- * - goaly
- * * * * - 4defenders
- * * * - 3 defending midfielders
- * * - 2 wingers (midfield men)
- * - 1 attakcer

- * -
- * * * * -
- * * * -

- * * * -

This is a 4-3-3
The only thing that should change is the wingers, they have to go forward, this is a good tactic to me
Things went wrong with the arrows and the stars

tonykart

Feb 16, 2007

* goaly
* * * * 4defenders
* * * 3 defending midfielders
* * 2 wingers (midfield men)
* 1 attakcer

This is a 4-3-3
The 4-4-1-1 tactic is my favorite for this reason as well. It is a well balanced formation because if kept as is it is good both in attack and defense. Also if the need arises to increase the attack, the only thing that needs to change is that the trequarista and wingers need to pinch forward. Also, if the need to maximise defending arises than the exact opposite takes place. The Wingers could become SB and SB's could pinch inward creating a 6 man defensive back line.

It is a great formation and I am a huge fan of it. But, like any formation it requires the right player to be in place.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)