Are football fans born or made? (1 Viewer)

Aug 1, 2003
Well? Whaddaya guys think? Here's some opinions :

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
"One may look it at this from two perspectives. Scientifically speaking, noone is born a football fan; there's no such gene. From a fanatical standpoint, blindly speaking, yes football fans can be born. But i tend to think that football fans are born after an actual birth. One develops into a football fan with regular watching and playing which results in greater understanding and appreciating of the game."
Boris, Canada

"I think it is not a problem. The most important is everyone like football."
Phammanhthang, Vietnam

"As far as I see the past World Cup in Korea/Japan, most of Japanese football fans were made, made by the media."
Jun, Japan

"Does it really matter? Does it matter if football fans are made or born. The more the better. We should be grateful that the sport we love recieves extended coverage across the world and that so many people share the passion and love for it that we do."
Trilby, UK

"I am of the view that football fans are not made and born. At the age of 8, I watched my elder brother playing football and was influenced by him tremendously. I took part in the football game and watched soccer on the TV. I felt excited about part taking in this activities and watching them. With the popularity of World Cup, I don't miss this great event."
Marj, Philippines

"It doesn't matter what country you came from and how passionate your culture is about football. If you truly appreciate and support the game in all its dimensions, then you cannot be called a manufactured fan--ever."
Marj, Philippines

"No,it's completely wrong! Football fans are not always born, in some cases they're made. In my country every nine of ten women hate football, so i used to hate football,too. But when I was fifteen something happened to me and I started to speak only about football. Now I am one of the greatest fans in my area, and everybody knows me and respects me my incredible knowledge about FOOTBALL!!!"
Zeynep, Turkey

"I've grown up in a non-footballing loving house and yet events in my life made me turn to sport for comfort and I now have a fantastic passion that is capable of getting me through the bad times."
Faye, England

"I think it's both. Some people have it in them because of their culture. Most english people i know have an appreciation or fanaticism for the game and i've managed to evangelise a few people that i would now call major fans of the game."
Elizabeth, Australia

"As far as I see the past World Cup in Korea/Japan, most of Japanese football fans were made, made by the media. Look how many of them still keep their interests in football. None!"
Jun, Japan

"It all depends on the person. i only became a fan when i was 12."
Ana, Australia

"Most people pick up their love of the game as kids but I've known people who's parents have had no interest in football discover the game in their late teens. I think it depends alot on parents and family, but you don't have to be born with it."
Ren, UK

"For me i believe that football fans are made based on the fact that my mother fell into football love when cameroon took the last Africa cup of nations cup. However, there are some football fans who are born. In short it is two way traffic."
MUWONGE HERBERT, UGANDA

"NO!!! If you met me in 1994 before I became a football fan and compared my opinion about football with my present opinion about it and my love to it, you wouldn't believe it's the same person!!!"
Javid, Azerbaijan

"Yeah...i don't think football fans are made. I myself hated football when i was 15. But now, with the influence of my friends and my family, i like football very much."
Aida, Malaysia

"Yes 110% we start from about 8 or more but we were born a human"
Sam, USA

"Football fans can also be made, for example i have known this game and i have liked it even more after this great world cup."
Kesavram Murthy, india

"For me football fans are made. Sometimes I would watch the game on TV only for the international ones but now I'm falling in love with football I feel the spirit of football. Go for it Red Devils!!"
Myoung Hee, South Korea

"From my personal experience, I'd say football fans are made. I didn't like football growing up--I was more into baseball and American football during my formative years. It wasn't until I was in college that a research project on nationalism sparked my interest in Glasgow Celtic (I was writing a paper on nationalism and its various expressions in sport). Now I'm a staunch supporter of Celtic (and Ireland, by extension), but I'm not going to say that I was a fan from birth."
Dennis, USA

"Football fans are not made. It's an in-you-thing. It must flow in your blood else, you're not a true fan but a pretender."
Vbunny, Nigeria

"You have to have your full heart and soul into football to really appreciate it. A fan is just a tag but you've got to be truthful inside and ask yourself if you truly treat football as part of your body and life or if it is just a game. Football is not just a game, it is a passion!"
Teren, Malaysia

"Total nonsense! If anyone had told me six years ago (I'm 33 now), that I would fall in love with a game, that could drag me out on winter days to stand freezing in a pile of snow, I would have laughed. Never the less that is what happened. I have of course seen lots of football matches on television when my national has been playing, but on march. 16 1997, I watched my first game with my local team (Lyngby), and I was totally devoted. I can't explain it, but I haven't missed a match since. It's a love affair, and I definetly wasn't born to be a fan. I just happened to fall in love."
Micaela, Denmark

“In my own experience this is simply not true.

I had little or no interest in football up until the age of 8 when I started following my local team. From the age of 15 I sarted to watch them regularly and now, by 18, I follow them around the country, with a level of passion to rival any other fan.

I believe that experiences make people who they are. As such, it is possible that experiencing match atmosphere helps our passion for our teams grow.

You can learn to love football, but once you've learnt, it can never leave you.”
Liam, England

“Absolutely: fans are born. You can become a fan when you are about 7 years old but not later”
Doru, Romania

“In Argentina there is a difference: real fans are born and fans, just fans, are made. This difference is crucial to define the identity and relationship between teams or clubs and supporters. It doesn't apply to players because circumstances (basically money) make them betrayers. Yes, for a real fan players are by definition traitors because they cannot guarantee loyalty to the institution.

In Argentina football teams from first to last divisions usually remember in their chants and anthems that "fans are born and not made". Phrases like "since I was in the cradle", "as little boy my father put me in the stand" or "once my dad and mom (have sexual intercourse) I became X fan...",etc. are common expressions in every match every Sunday. Moreover, real and wild fans from "the cradle to the grave" like to tattoo their bodies with the name and face of his mother and the name and emblem of his club.”
Ernesto, Argentina

“If you talk about supporting your team, football fans are born. They support their country even if they don't know much about football. But if you talk about football fans like us who rarely get chance to see our team play in international or national matches but support other teams, we are football fans made. I didn't know much about football some 15 years ago but now I am die-hard fan of it. I don't see much point in differentiating football fans in such categories. People have different interests. Some like this, some like that. I like football much more than any other sports. I enjoy it very much to watch and play. That's all. I don't know whether I am born fan or made fan.”
Kiran, Nepal

“Football fans are born, but need training to actualize.”
Fetene, Ethiopia

“I don’t see it. Liking footballing can’t be part of the DNA. You’ll always get people pulling rank saying they’ve supported so-and-so since they were one years old. People bragging that they were conceived at a football match, etc. But of course people can become football fans at any age, at any time.”
Declan, Ireland

“Yes almost 100%. Appreciation for football is developed until the age of 5-6. As children at that age are not philosophers, major part of football hype is genetic.”
Dragan, Yugoslavia

Buy on AliExpress.com

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
They born are in Holland. Its the nations largest entertainment industry, every boy becomes a fan of a club because his father and his grandfather are fans. You´re very much born into football in the Low Countries. And right now, this nation has 16.000.000 National Team coaches, all of them claim to know better.

Elnur_E65

Feb 21, 2004
I've just phoned my doctor. He said I have a gene, #432.34950, which is responsible for being a football fan.

It turns out that team I should support should have a name starting with "J", finishing with "S" and should have letters "V" and "E" in it.

Jan 7, 2004
++ [ originally posted by sallyinzaghi ] ++

"One may look it at this from two perspectives. Scientifically speaking, noone is born a football fan; there's no such gene. From a fanatical standpoint, blindly speaking, yes football fans can be born. But i tend to think that football fans are born after an actual birth. One develops into a football fan with regular watching and playing which results in greater understanding and appreciating of the game."
Boris, Canada

the guy was probably thinking about american football :lazy:

OP
sallyinzaghi
Aug 1, 2003
  • Thread Starter #11
    I don't think they meant "born" as in scientifically or genetically born - born, more like ... football fans are born to be fans, you can't "make" a football fan (hence are football fans born or MADE)

do you get what I'm saying? :undecide:

Dj Juve

Jul 12, 2002
    i doubt that. you first have to weight in all the possibilities and the risk of failure of the experiment.

but to full-prove your theory, you have to make sure you're in a controlled environment and that the surrounding conditions i.e humidity, temperature and wind speed. Also take into account the changes that world is slowly undergoing, ie polar ice melting etc.

now with this possibilities in check, you can conduct your experiment in full confidence that your result will satisfatory

Sid

Nov 10, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by sallyinzaghi ] ++

"I think it's both. Some people have it in them because of their culture. Most english people i know have an appreciation or fanaticism for the game and i've managed to evangelise a few people that i would now call major fans of the game."
    Elizabeth, Australia
    Agreed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)