Arab World Mourns UAE President Sheikh Zayed (1 Viewer)

Aug 27, 2003
The Arab world plunged into mourning last night with the death of its elder statesman Sheikh Zayed ibn Sultan Al-Nahayan, the president of the United Arab Emirates. Arab governments announced three days of mourning starting today to mark the passing away of the UAE leader.

The 86-year-old president(he was older than that, they arent really sure of his true birth date), who had been in declining health for years, died last night in Abu Dhabi. He had had a kidney transplant in 2000 and was recently in London for hospital treatment. But no cause of death was given last night.

The announcement of his death cast a pall of gloom across the UAE, both among nationals and expatriates. Many shops which normally remain open throughout the night, downed their shutters early.

Sheikh Zayed’s body will be laid to rest today.

The ruler of the emirate of Dubai, Sheikh Maktoum ibn Rashid, will act as president of the seven-emirate group until a new overall ruler is chosen.

Crown Prince Abdullah yesterday telephoned Sheikh Khalifa ibn Zayed, the crown prince of Abu Dhabi and Sheikh Muhammad ibn Zayed, deputy crown prince of Abu Dhabi to extend his condolences on the demise of Sheikh Zayed.

Analysts said last night that Zayed’s death removes a key voice in Arab politics and a figure who had often acted as troubleshooter among Arab leaders.

With oil prices at their highest levels in recent weeks, it was not clear what impact Zayed’s death might have on the markets. The United Arab Emirates is the fourth largest producer of crude in the Gulf and is estimated to have some seven percent of the world’s known reserves.

Zayed played a crucial role in fostering understanding between the West and the Muslim world through a number of political and cultural initiatives.

Sheikh Zayed had been president of the UAE since its birth in 1971. Sheikh Zayed’s role was as a traditional figurehead for his oil-rich country.

He had not attended Arab summits for several years.

He had ruled Abu Dhabi — the richest and largest of the seven emirates and the capital of the state — since 1966.

He named his eldest son, Sheikh Khalifa ibn Zayed, as crown prince back in 1969.

The UAE was created in 1971, when six desert sheikhdoms — Abu Dhabi, Ajman, Dubai, Fujairah, Sharjah and Umm Al-Quwain — gained independence following the departure of British troops.

The seventh emirate, Ras Al-Khaimah, joined in 1972.

Under Sheikh Zayed’s rule with the massive income generated by its oil production, the country was transformed from a tribal backwater to a world financial center.

He was genuinely loved and respected by his citizens, who credited him with distributing the wealth fairly throughout the country.
he was like a father to me, this news just killed me, Allah yerhamk ya zayed:frown:

Buy on AliExpress.com

Majed

Jul 17, 2002

أعــظــم الله أجـــركـــم يا اخـــوانــنــا واخـــواتــنــا فــي الامــارات الــشــقـيــقـة

الله يغفر له ويرحــمــه ويدخلــه جـــنـــات النــعــيــم

انـــا لله وانـــا اليـــه راجــعـــون
:down:

[size=small]
To Mods and other non-Arabic speakers: Please excuse me for posting in Arabic script. I'm just paying my respects and praying for the deceased.[/size]

bahraini

May 20, 2003
he died
the great leader of U.A.E has died
i think u may heared about it
but u dont know who really he is
as i think only gulf ppl or who came to this area will know
how great man he was
i just would like to say to all my brothers and sisters in uae

3A'6AM ALLA AJERKOM

and this lose lost is not fo ru only, its for all the gulf
and all arab and muslim people

and we all pary for him, to be in heaven
enshallah
and god will reward him the best
for all what he has done to us
:down:

Asma

Doctor Asma
Oct 21, 2003
Rest in peace our Father,Leader and Teacher...sheik Zayed Bin Sultan Al-Nahyan who died yesturday due to several health problems..he was like a second father to me,i cried alot yesturday and i am still crying as i am typing this message..."enna lellah wa enna elaihe raje-oon"-verses from the Quraan(which means god created us and in the end we will go back to god)

i might not log onto the forums,like,two weeks from now due to Father Zayed's death...i will see you all soon,bye! :down:

OP
«ƒÕ®zå JüV€»
Aug 27, 2003
  • Thread Starter #10
    Bahraini that is very nice of u to open a thread about this :)
    he really was a great leader, soon were going to find out if hsi son is going to take his place within 30 days..
    inshallah yekoun min ahl el jannah inshallah

nedved34

Oct 3, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Arif ] ++
    Rest In Peace :down:

@snoop : he was a president. hence the thread title.
    Tnx Arif.

i asked this because of
    he really was a great leader, soon were going to find out if hsi son is going to take his place in 30 days..
    I mean why his son will take his place? :confused:

OP
    «ƒÕ®zå JüV€»
    Aug 27, 2003
  • Thread Starter #15
    ++ [ originally posted by snoop ] ++

Tnx Arif.

i asked this because of

I mean why his son will take his place? :confused:
    yeah see we live in a monchary/democratic its quite complaicted..and im not even 100 percent sure with my info

we do have a vice president whos from dubai but what happens is that the each of the emirates sheikhs vote for the president but then again everyone is saying its sheikh kahlifa his son who is taking over so im not quite sure whats up..

nedved34

Oct 3, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by «ƒÕ®zå JüV€» ] ++

yeah see we live in a monchary/democratic its quite complaicted..and im not even 100 percent sure with my info

we do have a vice president whos from dubai but what happens is that the each of the emirates sheikhs vote for the president but then again everyone is saying its sheikh kahlifa his son who is taking over so im not quite sure whats up..
    I asked this.because i taught the same will happen like syria a few years ago. when hafez asad died,his son bashar took his place,and guess how,people voted for yes or no.and suddenly rules changed (he was underage of becoming a president).I mean he was nothing before of his father's death.and suddenly became president.like it's kingdom :irritate:
    Is it the same situation in UAE? :)

OP
    «ƒÕ®zå JüV€»
    Aug 27, 2003
  • Thread Starter #20
    ++ [ originally posted by snoop ] ++

I asked this.because i taught the same will happen like syria a few years ago. when hafez asad died,his son bashar took his place,and guess how,people voted for yes or no.and suddenly rules changed (he was underage of becoming a president).I mean he was nothing before of his father's death.and suddenly became president.like it's kingdom :irritate:
    Is it the same situation in UAE? :)
    no no the leader of each city came together and chose our new president ..so they elected his son as president

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)