Antonio Conte (185 Viewers)

How would you rate Conte's (dis)appointment?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Raz

Nov 20, 2005
:agree: I can't argue with you there. I like that sentimental aspect/element of it. Football has definitely lost its charm; much less romanticism in the game these days. I'd love the old format, but then again that may entail a larger risk for us when it comes to qualifying. I also attribute my fascination with the old format to the fact that we were more dominant in Europe back then. Serie A was also far more attractive and appealing back in the day.
More risk but more fun. Serie A trophy would mean much more, Coppa would be much more, old system is much more fun and exiting this one is made to print money.

- - - Updated - - -

Actually, from next season the winner of the UEFA Cup will contest the CL qualifiers, so that is a step in the right direction. Giving the UEFA Cup back some of its luster and former glory/charm is essential.
Not really, teams that win UEFA CUP usually are the ones that went out of CL or the ones that usualy play CL next season anyways.

Buy on AliExpress.com
Mar 9, 2006
Actually, from next season the winner of the UEFA Cup will contest the CL qualifiers, so that is a step in the right direction. Giving the UEFA Cup back some of its luster and former glory/charm is essential.
if Fiorentina will win the EU league in the next season but will finish on the 4th place or below in serie a, then they will play in the CL instead of team which finished at the 3rd place, right?

Pirlo's Beard

Junkie Joe Joyce
Oct 2, 2013
Nah I think if the team who finishes 4th and wins EL will go into the qualification rounds as would 3rd place

What I don't understand, is there will be one more club in the qualification rounds if a non CL placed team wins the EL. So surely they need to have a 2nd extra club in the qualification rounds to even up the numbers.

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
Mar 6, 2003
Why u laught
As funny as it is, only winning the EL would make this season a success.
Well obviously winning the scudetoo is success. We are playing in serie A to win it right?.

But after almost 3 straight scudettos, we just cannot be happy with winning only the scudetto. Thats natural.

Winning the scudetto is nice and dandy.. but winning this years EL will be HUGE for us. Not only because we will rescue some of the money lost from our CL fiasco... but we will be able to play the CL winners in a very interesting match, and showcase ourselves around the globe a little more.

And last but not least,,,, the huge party we will have in our stadium lifting an European cup is something that happens just once in a lifetime at best. THAT alone is worth soooo much

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
If you have followed the history of Juventus, and are as passionate about this team as one should be, it is obvious that Juventus has always prioritized the Scudetto first, Europe second. We have, nonetheless, had fantastic results in Europe, regardless of all the nonsense about being 2-5 in UCL finals. The fact we've made 7 UCL finals, and countless SFs, makes us one of the top 5 or 6 clubs in terms of European results of all time. Our 3-1 record in UEFA Cup finals from back when that competition meant something as only the league winners were allowed into UCL (and then only top 2 later), is fantastic. The fact we won our 11 European trophies in a 22 year period from 1977 to 1999 places us as by far the most successful European side during that period. There's also the fact we're the only club to win every single UEFA competition that has been held, which is extremely impressive, and the fact that we're 4th all time in terms of UEFA trophies won. Which regardless of UCL finals, makes us easily a top 5 European club of all time. I don't get all the complaining about the European history of Juventus, it's fvcking brilliant, this history.

Regardless though, a scudetto is just as important as UCL victory in my books, and the club has made this obvious for the last 50 years. We are the Italian side. We value Serie A more than any other club, and we have provided the national team with its core for as long as I can remember, at the very least, for every Italian world cup success. The moronic expansion of the UCL, and the degrading of the second tier competitions in Europe has had the pathetic effect of devaluing the scudetto to the casual Juventus fan, as now one can qualify to the UCL without winning the scudetto, but if one is a true Juventus fan they will understand just how valued the scudetto is to our club and its history.

I wouldn't say Scudetto > UCL, but I would certainly say Scudetto = UCL. Saying otherwise is disrespectful of the history and values of this club. And our manager knows this. I also have no doubt that we will soon again be a regular participant in the UCL QFs or better each year as one of the top 8 clubs in Europe, we're already well on the way there, and after being demoted in 2006, and many of our stars, and then two 7th place place finishes in a row just a few years back, to get back to being such a powerful side again, with 3 consecutive scudettos, a CL QF, an EL SF, so quickly, is bloody amazing in my opinion. Thinking otherwise is having your panties all in a knot, and very :sergio: worthy.

If you don't think a scudetto is a successful season, then (regardless of intention) you are being disrespectful of Juventus FC and it's history and values. Scudetto = successful season. CL success beyond that is a bonus, and an even more successful season. Of course we should desire CL success, but blowing off a record breaking scudetto season because we had a poor CL campaign is pathetic.

Bianconero81

Ageing Veteran
Jan 26, 2009
Juventino[RUS];4516820 said:
if Fiorentina will win the EU league in the next season but will finish on the 4th place or below in serie a, then they will play in the CL instead of team which finished at the 3rd place, right?
Nope. The winner of the Europa League is granted a spot in the CL Qualifiers regardless and irrespective of country ranking and their final position in their domestic league table. For example, Parma could win the cup and finish 8th in the league, but they'd still be eligible for the CL qualifiers along with the top 3 Italian representatives.

Jem83

maitre'd at Canal Bar
Nov 7, 2005
If you have followed the history of Juventus, and are as passionate about this team as one should be, it is obvious that Juventus has always prioritized the Scudetto first, Europe second. We have, nonetheless, had fantastic results in Europe, regardless of all the nonsense about being 2-5 in UCL finals. The fact we've made 7 UCL finals, and countless SFs, makes us one of the top 5 or 6 clubs in terms of European results of all time. Our 3-1 record in UEFA Cup finals from back when that competition meant something as only the league winners were allowed into UCL (and then only top 2 later), is fantastic. The fact we won our 11 European trophies in a 22 year period from 1977 to 1999 places us as by far the most successful European side during that period. There's also the fact we're the only club to win every single UEFA competition that has been held, which is extremely impressive, and the fact that we're 4th all time in terms of UEFA trophies won. Which regardless of UCL finals, makes us easily a top 5 European club of all time. I don't get all the complaining about the European history of Juventus, it's fvcking brilliant, this history.

Regardless though, a scudetto is just as important as UCL victory in my books, and the club has made this obvious for the last 50 years. We are the Italian side. We value Serie A more than any other club, and we have provided the national team with its core for as long as I can remember, at the very least, for every Italian world cup success. The moronic expansion of the UCL, and the degrading of the second tier competitions in Europe has had the pathetic effect of devaluing the scudetto to the casual Juventus fan, as now one can qualify to the UCL without winning the scudetto, but if one is a true Juventus fan they will understand just how valued the scudetto is to our club and its history.

I wouldn't say Scudetto > UCL, but I would certainly say Scudetto = UCL. Saying otherwise is disrespectful of the history and values of this club. And our manager knows this. I also have no doubt that we will soon again be a regular participant in the UCL QFs or better each year as one of the top 8 clubs in Europe, we're already well on the way there, and after being demoted in 2006, and many of our stars, and then two 7th place place finishes in a row just a few years back, to get back to being such a powerful side again, with 3 consecutive scudettos, a CL QF, an EL SF, so quickly, is bloody amazing in my opinion. Thinking otherwise is having your panties all in a knot, and very :sergio: worthy.

If you don't think a scudetto is a successful season, then (regardless of intention) you are being disrespectful of Juventus FC and it's history and values. Scudetto = successful season. CL success beyond that is a bonus, and an even more successful season. Of course we should desire CL success, but blowing off a record breaking scudetto season because we had a poor CL campaign is pathetic.
Great post, +rep

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
Mar 6, 2003
I wouldn't say Scudetto > UCL, but I would certainly say Scudetto = UCL. Saying otherwise is disrespectful of the history and values of this club.
Althought theres a problem with this. Yes historically maybe the scudetto is great trophy. But Juventus as a team needs to adapt to modern times. The era where scudetos where the end all be all, is long gone. If you take notice, the BoD is tryong desperately to make Juventus brand a globalized one, the NEED to go on par witht he powerhouses around europe, and for that is indispensable that we adapt to the modern times and start performing where the $$$ is, and thats is the CL.

You cannot be showcased wordlwide as easily by stomping the Sienas and the sassuolos of Italy. Th fastest way to do this is by smashing the Barcas and Madrids and forcefully letting the world know about the strenghts of the brand. Theres no 2 ways about it.

I dont want to discredit the scudetto historically, because in the end it is opur league and we should feel ashamed every time we dont win it.... but in todays market, the CL is all. And if we want to be respected as an international club, as a powerhouse, and forcefully make fanboys from other teams look at us and respect us...theres just one way.

And no, we shoudnt forget where we were 7 years ago... but winning the scudetto should be from now on our "norm", not our utmost goal. The money and fame of the CL is where we should aim at, and fast.

Klin

نحن الروبوتات
May 27, 2009
I wouldn't say Scudetto > UCL, but I would certainly say Scudetto = UCL. Saying otherwise is disrespectful of the history and values of this club.
It's not disrespectful at all. Winning the CL is on another level than winning the Serie A. Serie A has always been important to Juventus and I have no problem with. Actually I'm proud that my team faces no competition on the number of times we have won Serie A. 32 fucking times. We're already on our third star where the Milanese teams are praying to get their second one. The problem lies here. Winning Serie A and failing in the CL (not reaching the QF's is a failure for this team) is not good enough, no matter how you twist it. Currently, the EL is a good opportunity to help us change our mentality in Europe, and I will be super happy if we'll manage to win in our own stadium. In fact, I'd only consider this season a success if we manage to win it. Anything less than that and it'd be a disappointment. But our focus should be the CL for next season. Now I don't think we have a good enough team to actually push for winning the CL, but I believe I'm not expecting much from this team to manage to reach the QF's.

So no, Serie A (especially in it's current state) is definitely not = CL. Not even close.

Pirlo's Beard

Junkie Joe Joyce
Oct 2, 2013
Winning the Scudetto is always great, and although you have a point when you say any time we win the league the season is successful, personally I don't judge the season as a whole. I judge the domestic and the European parts seperately.

On one account, we've broken records and walked all over the league, 8 points ahead of a team who on any other year may well have won the league.
On the other hand, our CL group stage exit was embarrassing, no matter which way you look at it.

If we truely do take the league way more seriously than the CL, that is just showing a lack of ambition on our part. Because the prestige, and more importantly the money is all in the CL now. And if we go in with the mentality of 'any time we do something good in the CL, it's an unexpected bonus' then we'll be lucky to ever land another ready made top player again. Because lack of ambition and no oil money contracts to mask this, is off putting.

Basically, dismissing the CL is a terrible attitude to take. And will hurt our clubs reputation. Fast forward 20 years and if we're still supposedly 'not caring' about the CL I.E not building a team good enough to make consistent, deep runs. Then to the rest of the world we're no bigger than your Celtics and Galatasarays of football.

Lion

King of Tuz
Jan 24, 2007
people talk of winning the CL like it's a walk in the park.

Barca's domination of the competition only happened in a cycle of 5 years. Mardid's domination was in freaking 1950;s when they were like the only actual decent team in europe.

These things are cyclical. but in the age of .0356 second loading youtube videos from freaking watches and glasses instant gratification generation, people think these things should happen overnight

gray

Apr 22, 2003
Let's put it this way: if you only win your domestic league and fail in Europe, you're not taken very seriously by the wider football world. If you only do well in Europe and not your domestic league, you generally lack consistency and are a flash-in-the-pan team ala Liverpool and Milan.

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
Mar 6, 2003
people talk of winning the CL like it's a walk in the park.

Barca's domination of the competition only happened in a cycle of 5 years. Mardid's domination was in freaking 1950;s when they were like the only actual decent team in europe.

These things are cyclical. but in the age of .0356 second loading youtube videos from freaking watches and glasses instant gratification generation, people think these things should happen overnight
No one is saying winning it man . Winning it is almost impossible.

But ill be content with being present constantly in quarters and if possible, in semifinals.

Winning the big games in knock out stages...looking good in th eyes of the world and in the eyes of other potential players...is what matters for now.

Pirlo's Beard

Junkie Joe Joyce
Oct 2, 2013
Getting out of the group stages and passing the R16 should be the minimum for Juve, maybe reaching the quarter finals is less of a requirement as we're in pot 2 and may finish the group runners to an elite team, therefore getting a difficult R16 draw

But as soon as we're back in pot 1, we should be topping groups and reaching the 1/8 final regularly. Otherwise we're really not much better than the other Domestic leaders from the lesser leagues.

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
Mar 6, 2003
Otherwise we're really not much better than the other Domestic leaders from the lesser leagues.
And this is exactly what i fear. We are now creating great hype around us, dominating italy and having players like pogba and Vidal...but if we continue getting embarrased in europe..we will be nothing that a laughing stop and a team that is living from past glories.

We need to perform. Scudetto is a must, but is not enought.

Pirlo's Beard

Junkie Joe Joyce
Oct 2, 2013
Exactly. Some people will say "But when we were 7th we were dreaming of a CL place" Whilst this is true, it means nothing. Being 'satisfied' with results is relative to the position you are in

Our squad is by far and away the best in Italy. And we're still the only team with half-way decent depth. So as great as winning the league is, with this team anything less is a failure barring an injury crisis.

We need to make an impact in Europe. Nobody is saying we have to win it next season. We need to slowly builds our way up to the stage where we can realistically have a shot at winning it

The only way to do that, is to consistently make deep runs in the CL. This not only establishes us as an 'elite' club, this gives us a steady flow of CL revenue which can in turn be used to lure better players to the club.

This 'Anything other than the domestic cup is a bonus' attitude is insulting to a club as big as Juventus. We're not the only team in Europe who has to compete domestically and on the european front. Every other CL team is doing is so we need to drop this provincial attitude.

Right now, in our position i'd be happy with a 1/8 final and a good showing against an elite team. For example, if we were in a different group and went through. Won a R16 game against somebody like S04 then lost to Madrid as we did in the group stages with a 2-2 draw and 2-1 defeat that would be a respectable showing. Then we can build from there.

But getting shown up by clubs who are worth about as much as Pogbas left nut in total is just not acceptable.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
And this is exactly what i fear. We are now creating great hype around us, dominating italy and having players like pogba and Vidal...but if we continue getting embarrased in europe..we will be nothing that a laughing stop and a team that is living from past glories.

We need to perform. Scudetto is a must, but is not enought.
You guys all act like the scudetto is guaranteed each year... Right... We've won about a third of the scudettos possible to win. 1 in 3. We're not going to win it every year for the next 10 years. It just won't happen. So if we do win a scudetto, the season is a success and the club considers it as such, regardless of what you think. Less of a success then doing well in the UCL or EL also, but still a success as we have also qualified for the CL the next year.

Everyone wants to do well in the CL also as Juve fans. Just because we value the scudetto highly doesn't mean we ignore the CL . I'd like to think minimum QF every year with that once every 5-10 year hiccup where we get bounced in the group unluckily, like this year. And we were unlucky. We dominated all 3 of our draws and allowed a couple random defensive lapses and poor luck finishing to set us up for getting knocked out in a game that should not have been played.

However, you suggest that it is a case of "continue getting embarrassed in Europe"... Continue? We got knocked out at group once, this year. In our first year back in the comp we made QFs and got knocked out by the champion who we played far closer than Barca did, and we were a side with not a single decent striker. This year we got embarrassed a little and are now making up for it in the EL. I'm sorry but, this isn't some case of continued European failure for Conte. It is 1 bloody season. 1! Get some perspective. Every big side has the occasional shitty season in the UCL. Chelsea went out in our group last season, which we topped, after winning the season before and they also have 5x our transfer budget. Stop acting like Conte is poor in Europe. He isn't. Now if we fail again next year to get out of our group than you can start having these discussions, but his QF last year and now EL semis this year more than give him the benefit of the doubt, and guess what... The club agrees with me, and doesn't give a damn about your whining.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 171)