Antonio Candreva (19 Viewers)

Salvo

J
Dec 17, 2007
it wasnt 25ml exactly but yes it is cheap for a player of his calibre IMO.

go buy someone as talented as him for that price, tell me who you could get.

Salvo

J
Dec 17, 2007
well thing is, melo is a starter for his country, may i add one of if not the strongest national team in the world. Secondly he was playing amazingly well at fiorentina so im not sure that we overpayed to much for him, and i believe he will prove his worth for us sooner rather then later.

only-juve

Jan 5, 2008

Not comparing the two because they're different players but arsenal bought arshavin for 17 million (arshavin was "the star" of the last euro's if you rememeber) so he's price should've been inflated at the time.

And i just gave you the Inter example with Sneijder for 15 million (thats a 10 million less). So no it wasn't a huge achievement to buy Diego for 25 millions. I'd say its an " ok " price nothing more or less.

Secco's track record in these kind of deals is pretty poor. I don't think we need more conformation that he's :andyandbarcelona:

The Curr

Feb 3, 2007
And i just gave you the Inter example with Sneijder for 15 million (thats a 10 million less). So no it wasn't a huge achievement to buy Diego for 25 millions. I'd say its an " ok " price nothing more or less.
Sneijder wasn't wanted at Real Madrid. That's why he was cheap.

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007
If you look at what Madrid payed for Kaka and Ronaldo, Diego was fairly cheap. But apart from Madrid his price was just fine, not too much, but not a big gain for us. Now Melo is the player for whom we massively overpaid, for most of the season he has been playing like 5-8 million midfielder not 20. Hopefully the big guy will find some consistency soon, we will need it.

RAMI-N

★ ★ ★
Aug 22, 2006
If you look at what Madrid payed for Kaka and Ronaldo, Diego was fairly cheap. But apart from Madrid his price was just fine, not too much, but not a big gain for us. Now Melo is the player for whom we massively overpaid, for most of the season he has been playing like 5-8 million midfielder not 20. Hopefully the big guy will find some consistency soon, we will need it.
:agree:

Linebreak

Sep 18, 2009
He may not be setting the world on fire, but the energy and confidence he plays with makes a huge difference in our midfield, particularly when were getting out of our own half.

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
He may not be setting the world on fire, but the energy and confidence he plays with makes a huge difference in our midfield, particularly when were getting out of our own half.
True.

That tells a lot what is it that this team needs the most. Movement.
When someone who right now is nothing more than an average player can make such a difference in this team only because he's running all the time and opening up, you can imagine what will a much better player, who also runs a lot, do in our team.

v1rtu4l

Mar 4, 2008
in a quality midfield candreva is a good sub (just as poulsen) ... he has a good strong shot and is surely an alternative when things dont go well with the starters and some movement is needed (i am talking about a future where we got players of better quality there)

Lo-Pan

Disciple of Gonzo
Feb 11, 2009
Not comparing the two because they're different players but arsenal bought arshavin for 17 million (arshavin was "the star" of the last euro's if you rememeber) so he's price should've been inflated at the time.

Secco's track record in these kind of deals is pretty poor. I don't think we need more conformation that he's :andyandbarcelona:
Its easier to entice a player of Asharvin's quality, to play for Wenger, than it is to entice anyone to play for Ciro, or Zach for example. I am not at all defending Secco's negogiation skills, for they seem fairly poor. But it is quite clear to me, that Arsenal, a young, vibrant family of a team, who like to play football, not just win matches, with a manager renowned for getting the very best out of all sorts of players, is a more attractive option...I am sure there were more, likely better offers for Asharvin, but he decided on Arsene and Arsenal, and stuck to it. Which isn't solely due to the astute bargaining skills of the Arsenal transfer people...

I don't think we overpaid for Melo or Diego. Melo starts consistently for the strongest national team and was coming of a season in florence in which he barely put a foot wrong...Diego was amazing in the budesliga, consistently wowing crowds and scoring/creating wonderful goals. he was definitely in demand.

We overpaid horribly for Amauri. no doubt whatsoever in my mind for that one, and also for Poulsen. Andrade was unfortunate...and Tiago also, we had no idea he would turn out as fairy like as he did for us. But he is a player we may well recoup some of our investment for, if he continues to play well for atetico and they buy him in the summer...Perhaps his value could even go up if portugal do well in the WC...

Candreva for a total of 15m is ridiculous. half of that, fine. And I would be sickened to see Gio used as a bargaining chip. better to offload De Ceglie, Poulsen, Zebina, Legro, Paolucci, Amauri, grosso...

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005

I like this....
well thing is, melo is a starter for his country, may i add one of if not the strongest national team in the world. Secondly he was playing amazingly well at fiorentina so im not sure that we overpayed to much for him, and i believe he will prove his worth for us sooner rather then later.
And this.
:agree:
Its easier to entice a player of Asharvin's quality, to play for Wenger, than it is to entice anyone to play for Ciro, or Zach for example. I am not at all defending Secco's negogiation skills, for they seem fairly poor. But it is quite clear to me, that Arsenal, a young, vibrant family of a team, who like to play football, not just win matches, with a manager renowned for getting the very best out of all sorts of players, is a more attractive option...I am sure there were more, likely better offers for Asharvin, but he decided on Arsene and Arsenal, and stuck to it. Which isn't solely due to the astute bargaining skills of the Arsenal transfer people...

I don't think we overpaid for Melo or Diego. Melo starts consistently for the strongest national team and was coming of a season in florence in which he barely put a foot wrong...Diego was amazing in the budesliga, consistently wowing crowds and scoring/creating wonderful goals. he was definitely in demand.

We overpaid horribly for Amauri. no doubt whatsoever in my mind for that one, and also for Poulsen. Andrade was unfortunate...and Tiago also, we had no idea he would turn out as fairy like as he did for us. But he is a player we may well recoup some of our investment for, if he continues to play well for atetico and they buy him in the summer...Perhaps his value could even go up if portugal do well in the WC...

Candreva for a total of 15m is ridiculous. half of that, fine. And I would be sickened to see Gio used as a bargaining chip. better to offload De Ceglie, Poulsen, Zebina, Legro, Paolucci, Amauri, grosso...
He may not be worth 15m now. But the guy is exciting to watch, albeit can be frustrating at times. But I love the way he surges forward with the ball like a fearless Native American. He is one of the FEW in our team that as soon as he gets the ball he looks forward, not out wide. He gives us a different perspective IMO that the only other person that does that is Camo. Just like we see Marchisio getting more confidnt with he ball each game he plays, Candreva will do the same.

We got excited when we saw glimpses of Marchisio a few years ago, there is no reason why we shouldn't get excted by the same glimpses that we get to see from Candreva. Just like the mistakes he made as did marchisio, etc. He is young but has some pretty sweet qualities. I may be overrating him here but many are also underrating him. Give young players time they will make mistakes in games but they will also improve.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
I don't know how many were watching on ITV (British) coverage but Gareth Southgate was very impressed with him, and generally complimentary. Not like the usual small minded xenophobe we normally have covering the games here.

He always wanted the ball and his work rate was excellent, it's important to have guys like he and Marchisio as they give us legs and harry opposition as well as being able to use the ball.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 19)