Antonio Candreva (14 Viewers)

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
Bottom line. He should have started instead of Brazzo.

You can't expect a new player, first game after joining the club 3 days earlier to make a big impression with only 14 mins left in the game. Pressure or not, its hard to get into a groove with such an intense game. Look at our other 10 players, after 75 mins they too still weren't in any kind of groove, so what makes anyone here think that Candreva would have worked a miracle yesterday? The whole team is at fault.

Buy on AliExpress.com

C4ISR

Dec 18, 2005
I don't draw conclusions on less than 20 min of football, while a man down, and after arriving in a new team 2 days earlier. We might as well start scouting youtube for talent if this is how we judge the ability of our players.

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
I don't draw conclusions on less than 20 min of football, while a man down, and after arriving in a new team 2 days earlier. We might as well start scouting youtube for talent if this is how we judge the ability of our players.
excellent post.

And I am with you on the youtube scouting....

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
14 minutes is all it takes to fuck up, which is what happened with the mark.

Hopefully he does better next time.
I wouldn't hold that against him, because I don't expect attacking midfielders to be any good at marking.

The problem on that goal was that Chiellini, Legrottaglie and Salihimdzic all went to Vucinic and left Candreva isolated.

If the defence had held it's shape, there wouldn't have been a problem.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
I wouldn't hold that against him, because I don't expect attacking midfielders to be any good at marking.

The problem on that goal was that Chiellini, Legrottaglie and Salihimdzic all went to Vucinic and left Candreva isolated.

If the defence had held it's shape, there wouldn't have been a problem.
He was the right-midfielder. How is he not expected to mark? And besides, it's not like he's a poor player defensively.

Vucinic AND Perrotta were there, plus a player out wide left for Grosso to deal with.

It's not like it was a forward who scored, but the left-back. The right-midfielder needs to pick up those runs if the defense is stretched.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
He was the right-midfielder. How is he not expected to mark? And besides, it's not like he's a poor player defensively.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMGmYPT2AHY

Vucinic AND Perrotta were there, plus a player out wide left for Grosso to deal with.

It's not like it was a forward who scored, but the left-back. The right-midfielder needs to pick up those runs if the defense is stretched.
I forgot Perrotta was there too.

I still feel that there was no need for Sali to get sucked in the way he did. Once you are down to ten men, it becomes even more important to hold the shape.

I'm not saying Candreva couldn't have done better, just that I'm not going to hold it against him. Anyway, it was a great run and a great cross, so there are limits to how much can be done to stop it.

Still, I'm sure a defensively sound winger like Marchionni would have been able to prevent the goal. :seven:

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
I don't think it was his job to mark the man, but I also don't think its that hard to mark a man, let alone a defender who doesn't know how to attack. For Riise to head a great header on goal and score is asking just about as much as asking for Candreva to mark a man and make it difficult to at least get a clear header.

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
What cant he see? You shouldnt sub in a decent midfielder when the team needs little change, because you have a magic 8 ball that says he will succumb under pressure automatically? That could happen against anyone, regardless of hindsight.

You dont hold someone back because they might get too pressured or lose confidence or whatever else one says, he is there to play, and when there is opportunity or need for it, he like anyone else should, otherwise whats the point of subs? Only do so when leading comfortably? The main thing was Sali should be subbed instead of Grygera.
there was no hindsight, i said he shouldnt be involved in this game for reasons i explained. I dont fault him for the goal i am mroe concerned with his mental state, moving to juve is by no means an easy switch, i dont care if it's a loan he should be eased in nicely as in sub next game and maybe start against livorno. My magic ball is simple rational assessment of risk, and for me it is painfully obvious.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
there was no hindsight, i said he shouldnt be involved in this game for reasons i explained. I dont fault him for the goal i am mroe concerned with his mental state, moving to juve is by no means an easy switch, i dont care if it's a loan he should be eased in nicely as in sub next game and maybe start against livorno. My magic ball is simple rational assessment of risk, and for me it is painfully obvious.
And trust us Osman, we know about risk. :agree:

We have our next Marchionni. ;)
Lets hope he can do better than that. :shifty:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 14)