Anime (2 Viewers)

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Actually, you laugh about it because you don't know about it, but the Departed is actually semi-based on a real Irish crime ring from Boston, and also the film Internal Affairs.

But that wasn't my point. I should have said it's a difference between living actors and drawings. That's my real point.

Sep 26, 2007
Andy, I've stated it but clearly it's hard for people to understand that it is no secret that girls prefer guys who do not watch Anime. It is a clear upon meeting any female.

Maybe you guys don't realize but girls might tolerate your watching of Anime and even sit through it to keep their guy around since some girls make sacrifices for relationships but I assure you the majority of these girls behind closed doors have it on your list of cons. I don't care to watch any of it. I have never claimed to have watched any of it. I associate cartoons with immaturity. When you think about it, it is immature to watch animated characters no matter how mature the theme is. I'm not saying don't watch it but it is a turn off to the opposite sex whether you like it or not at least in America.

IlDivinCodino

f**king hot prospect
Mar 5, 2006
I sincerely hope you are kidding around here Andy (even if your anime dislike is sincere), and you really cant be as idiotic as you come off.

Anime (and manga) is a media form just like most things. It has it varying degrees of quality and type. But unlike traditional western cartoon, its not in any shape or form a medium that is targetted only to kids. Its a medium Japan use for all age groups, and hence you have everything from mature, gritty and deep stuff to regular fluff and Pokemon crap (its like regular tv industry, it has its baywatchs and jerry springers to it top notch stuff like HBO series or such).

I sincerely doubt either you or Sarah has bothered to watch 5% of the material in offering so I even if I get not watching it because its not your cup of tea, I REALLY dont get the over obssessive sweeping and generalizing. As I said, you have to have been watching it to get the wide range of concepts and series it has. In that again, in Japan the medium is more or less like how tv series are for us, then just a narrow spectrum of medium like cartoons are over here.

For example, anyone watched an american Tv series called Firely? Quite great cult series, and a record breaking series in DVD sales even 5 years after it was cancelled. Well an anime series that is identical to it is Cowboy bebop, in style, quality and concept. Same thing with stuff like the anime Ghost in The shell having alot in common with the movie Blade runner and other sci fi classics. The story telling medium of anime has a kind of scope you cant bog down to a narrow genre of just cartoon, and it really cant be as simplified as you wish it to be (its a medium like books or tv to them. They have kiddy anime to stuff like serious historical fiction of their historical figures, which they later adapt to movies from these animes/mangas) .

I would have understood if you we viewed anime (especially Anime films who are award winning top notch stuff that compete with regular movies or their betters at times) and hence could judge the nuances of it. Being judgmental then is understandable, know fans who are and I am in aspects, havent seen much new of it in 2 years because too many series are formulaic.

But you two really dont sound like you know two bits of it to judge as broadly as you do. Like you tasted every flavour of it and then spat them all out. Understandable to not like it in first impression and dont want to try it. But not understandable to degree you are taking to judging it. Grouping Pokemon together with Paranoia agent like they are the same thing for example, is like saying Nickoledeon kiddy shows for 5 year olds is EXACTLY like shows like the West wing or such. Just because they are in the same medium of tv. Hopefully this SIMPLE point sinks in with you.

And Andy, no offense, but if you arent going to bother respond seriously to this, then dont bother at all.
Great post. Although I couldn't help but interfere. I've past my anime days and from what I've gathered, it is pretty much nobody's fault in their views. You call everyone out their who judge anime lovers fools and idiots. And unfortunately, most of them do judge anime. Its undeniable most girls out there tend to look at anime lovers as immature. Considering only based on an easy fact. It is UNREAL.

True that there are so many different types of animes ranging from the more mature ones to the less. However it never really mattered to be honest. Somehow anime flicks which make it to the top are those extremely overdone sci-fi / fantasy stuff. The creators decided to chose the easy way out. I'm saying this because I'm pretty sure you guys liked anime mostly for the story line. The theme, the plot etc. Thus lets look at it in another perspective. An anime like Spirited Away. I don't believe if it has been done using real people, blue screens, some special effects and the entire same story, it will still reach a status of what the original Spirited Away anime.

I guess what I'm trying to say is after all the fuss about anime, it is too fake. If we try to make it real, direct it with some actors and actresses, it too would become idiotic. I wouldn't want to imagine say Benjamin Mckenzie acting as Urosaki Ichigo. The way I see it, why don't these anime artists turn their stories in to movies/series? Seeing that it's obvious movies with a cast generate more profit. I suppose the reason is of what I've stated.

Moreover, anime could make a person dreamy. Escaping reality. Looking at life in much different sense. As I've said. Everything is perfect in anime. And as you watch them, you tend to think/make believe that it too could be possible for yourself. A perfect love relationship, friendship, will to improve, just to name a few. It kinda makes us naive about the real world. I'm not generalizing on animes though as I do know of some animes such as Evangelion which pictures self struggle and stuff. The point is, they make everything so damn fuckin' cool. Which is obviously impossible!

OP
GordoDeCentral

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
  • Thread Starter #171
    Try better at humor, my bro. You can manage much better.
    it was more philosophical than anything really, if anything anime as universally recognized, as you say, "fake" tends to unequivocally serve its function as art(not great art) which is mimicking Reality and catharsis of senses; as opposed to say a movie with live actors where the lines are blurred. Conclusion your conceptual assault is simply moot; for all is fake and anime happens to actually be less fake. Preference i understand and you did mention that earlier as you gracefully bowed only to come back and hammer the real v. fake.

Dominic

Jan 30, 2004
    Actually, you laugh about it because you don't know about it, but the Departed is actually semi-based on a real Irish crime ring from Boston, and also the film Internal Affairs.

But that wasn't my point. I should have said it's a difference between living actors and drawings. That's my real point.
    Fiction is the key word.

Chazz

natobiaconero
    Nov 15, 2007
    Andy, I've stated it but clearly it's hard for people to understand that it is no secret that girls prefer guys who do not watch Anime. It is a clear upon meeting any female.

Maybe you guys don't realize but girls might tolerate your watching of Anime and even sit through it to keep their guy around since some girls make sacrifices for relationships but I assure you the majority of these girls behind closed doors have it on your list of cons. I don't care to watch any of it. I have never claimed to have watched any of it. I associate cartoons with immaturity. When you think about it, it is immature to watch animated characters no matter how mature the theme is. I'm not saying don't watch it but it is a turn off to the opposite sex whether you like it or not at least in America.
    Oh dear God... Alot of girls think sport is stupid too and they dont get why a bunch of guys cry when they lose a final or an important game so should i stop watching that too to increase my chances of geting laid

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
    Fiction is the key word.
    Actually, cartoon is the key word.

Oh dear God... Alot of girls think sport is stupid too and they dont get why a bunch of guys cry when they lose a final or an important game so should i stop watching that too to increase my chances of geting laid
    Totally ridiculous point. Females understand that males love sports, and many think it's sexy.

I wonder how many females think anime is sexy. :lol2:

HelterSkelter

Apr 15, 2005
    Generalzing it all just because you've come across people who feel this way is pretty stupid.And anyway,anything that is supposedly true for America does not have to be true for the entire world too.If you think that the whole world feels the way you feel about a certain issue,then that is nothing short of idiotic.

Chazz

natobiaconero
    Nov 15, 2007

Totally ridiculous point. Females understand that males love sports, and many think it's sexy.

I wonder how many females think anime is sexy. :lol2:
    Hmmm you not very popular with the ladies huh? Your pick line must be something along these lines i hate anime want to hook up that says alot but the chicken heads
    You know or you, but if american chicks act exactly the way hollywood protrairs them oh i see where you comin from. I love anime and its no secret but i dont have a problem hooking up ladies

Generalzing it all just because you've come across people who feel this way is pretty stupid.And anyway,anything that is supposedly true for America does not have to be true for the entire world too.If you think that the whole world feels the way you feel about a certain issue,then that is nothing short of idiotic.
    Amen

.zero

★ ★ ★
    Aug 8, 2006

I wonder how many females think anime is sexy.
    dude your personal vendetta against ppl that like anime is just dumb. You watch dumb fuck shows like 'Lost' and you are telling me that’s what rounds up the ladies from your front door to around the corner? Its all inconsequential. I don't think 'Mad Money' with jim cramer is a really panty dropper either so get off of it kid.

It’s the same argument you are using against ppl that watch anime. I doubt anyone here including myself talks to chicks and brings up anime as a fucking talking point.

Ease up andy, its just another form of entertainment, and your sweeping generalizations are 100% never spot on, otherwise I would be doing the same for a whole lot of things around here.

Ragazza

Calciopoli Director
    Jul 22, 2013

I know this post is several years old, but what the hell kind of crap is this? :lol: I know plenty of guys who like anime who have girlfriends, I myself have dated guys who like it & had no problem with it either.

I wouldn't call myself a huge anime fan but there are several series that I like.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)