Android (5 Viewers)

sateeh

Day Walker
Jul 28, 2003
The Galaxy S, despite being part of the 'older' generation of Android phones (though not by much), ships with really crappy default software (typical of Samsung), but the hardware is great, so once you install a custom rom it will work fine. I've upgraded about 10 of them, and their owners were blown away at the difference.

The Incredible S has a locked bootloader and is currently unrootable, so I'd steer clear for now.
I have the SGS and recently I have been really considering the phone's performance. Is there a significant jump in performance if I root it ? Recently I lost my technological touch. So I'm guessing I will need to back up an image first so I don't lose my applications, messages and pictures. Then is it straight forward to root it ?

Apr 15, 2006
If done correctly, the rooting process will not mess with any data you have on the phone. It'll only grant you root privileges. You can then use root to backup everything on the phone.

Plus, rooting is only the first step. Then comes installing a custom recovery on the phone, and then using this recovery to flash a new ROM. Now only flashing a new ROM will increase the performance. Neither rooting nor installing a custom recovery will do that.

Just follow the guides on XDA to do all these 3.

Kasaki

Moggi's Assistant
Jun 1, 2010
Stupid phone, my touchscreen towards the middle of the phone won't work at times, like when trying to click log in to apps , the touchscreen works cause I can press stuff in the middle as soon as I leave certain scenarios. Any settings in sense to adjust touchscreen settings?

sateeh

Day Walker
Jul 28, 2003
If done correctly, the rooting process will not mess with any data you have on the phone. It'll only grant you root privileges. You can then use root to backup everything on the phone.

Plus, rooting is only the first step. Then comes installing a custom recovery on the phone, and then using this recovery to flash a new ROM. Now only flashing a new ROM will increase the performance. Neither rooting nor installing a custom recovery will do that.

Just follow the guides on XDA to do all these 3.
Thanks mate, i will have a look

SoulSiick

Schizoid Man
Oct 16, 2007
Sheik,

First do you think s it possible that there will be another official update for desire for example with next Android version ?

Second, what are the downside of having a custom ROM? I'm considering rooting my phone and I wanna know is there something special that I miss or have problem with ? And do you know a good method or app to get a full backup? I mean with apps and phone history and... everything :D

Also a friend of mine asked me if he can run android 2.3.3 with Sense on his wildfire without problem ?

Thanks ! :D

OP
JCK

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
  • Thread Starter #2,957
    The UK witnessed a U-turn today and the Desire will get an official GB afterall. More countries will follow.

Apr 15, 2006
    Jack :tup:

Sheik,

First do you think s it possible that there will be another official update for desire for example with next Android version ?

Second, what are the downside of having a custom ROM? I'm considering rooting my phone and I wanna know is there something special that I miss or have problem with ? And do you know a good method or app to get a full backup? I mean with apps and phone history and... everything :D

Also a friend of mine asked me if he can run android 2.3.3 with Sense on his wildfire without problem ?

Thanks ! :D
    First: Jack answered.

Second: Downsides? None, IIRC. The only thing you'll miss is official OTA updates from HTC, but the devs almost always get them and include then in their ROMs.

As for backing up, you'll need the apps Titanium Backup to backup apps and their data, SMS Backup and Restore(BaR), Call Logs BaR, and APN BaR for backing up the respective stuff. You might wanna backup your bookmarks using the 'Bookmarks to SD' add-on to Dolphin Browser. Oh, and this will be a good time to suggest you to use Dolphin Browser.

As for the Wildfire, It could be possible, but the Camera may not work, and the ROM might run slowly due to hardware limitations. I'll check it out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)