Andrea Pirlo (155 Viewers)

vote

• Legend

• History

Results are only viewable after voting.

deggen10

Jul 27, 2011
I don't think Pirlo works in a 4-3-3 and hasn't for some time. I prefer him in a 2 as long as the guy next to him can actually pass aswell. At Milan , all the pressure was on him because Gat was useless at passing. With Vidal or Marchisio and a good halfwing like Vargas, it should work well.

Buy on AliExpress.com

MikeM

Footballing Hipster celebrating 4th place with Tuz
Sep 21, 2008
The thing with Pirlo in a "4-2-4" is that it's better for him offensively. There's more space in the middle of the park because our wingers are forcing the enemy to stretch themselves.

The problem will be defending but I hate when people say he can't work in a 2 man midfield because he sure as hell will work offensively IMO. We just need the RM and LM to run a bit extra and have the SS drop down a bit, sort of like a 4-2-3-1.

deggen10

Jul 27, 2011
The problem will be defending but I hate when people say he can't work in a 2 man midfield because he sure as hell will work offensively IMO. We just need the RM and LM to run a bit extra and have the SS drop down a bit, sort of like a 4-2-3-1.
The 4-3-3 thing is a myth. He always played better for Italy in a 4-4-1-1 with Camo and a half winger like Perotta.
And Milan used to play 4-3-2-1 with WC AM's like Seedorf and Kaka.

Bianconero_Aus

Beppe Marotta Is My God
May 26, 2009
The 4-3-3 thing is a myth. He always played better for Italy in a 4-4-1-1 with Camo and a half winger like Perotta.
True but in those Italy days of 2004-2008 he had a very good DM in Gattuso next to him. We need Vidal to basically assume the role of bodyguard/everyman to protect Pirlo in the midfield and let him do his thing.

MCMV

Jul 22, 2011
One thing I dont understand is that why the hell did Milan let Pirlo go? It's not like, they have amazing playmakers.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
One thing I dont understand is that why the hell did Milan let Pirlo go? It's not like, they have amazing playmakers.
Want a real DM in front of the defence, not a play-maker.

They also don't really have much interest in playing football in midfield (they prefer playing longer to Ibrahimovic), so there is less use for Pirlo.

Then you factor in his age and wages and it made sense for them to let him leave.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
The thing with Pirlo in a "4-2-4" is that it's better for him offensively. There's more space in the middle of the park because our wingers are forcing the enemy to stretch themselves.

Dude, have you been paying attention over the last few years? Even with the straight 4-4-2 we don't stretch anybody. It's not just because Marchisio is used out left sometimes... the lack of East-West movement causes the system to be very static. If Conte doesn't fix that, so what if we have a lot of width. It's not like Pirlo is someone who drives through the center anyway, he's a regista.

So in regards to the offensive aspect of the game, the system doesn't exactly matter. If you don't have movement you'll fail either way. But at his age, it's the defensive facet of the game that we have to worry about if Vidal doesn't deliver defensively.

It isn't a myth because you're using the younger Pirlo as the example and with Perrotta out left he at times took a more central role. I see what you're doing... you're basically advocating using Marchisio out left again. And that's not going to fly with me or anybody apart from Marchisio fans who want to force him into the starting XI in any way possible.

acmilan

Plusvalenza Akbar
Nov 8, 2005
it was mostly a wage and contract length issue, considering his age. He believed he deserved a 3 year contract at double the wage what Milan was willing to offer, Milan didn't and let him go.

Allegri also prefers a physically solid player with good ball skills in the center and have his playmaker(s) on the sides, which is where Pirlo would have played had he stayed - Milan does use and is looking for new playmakers, both in midfield to replace Seedorf and CAM.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 151)