Andrea "Il Bruco Brutto" Agnelli (25 Viewers)

baggio

Jun 3, 2003
So yeah, if Conte asks for Sanchez and we want to keep Pogba and Vidal, it's not likely to happen. Policy might be wrong, I'm not saying it's right, but I'm saying that WE DO NOT SPEND BIG on individual players.
This is actually an argument that is not going to hold much water for much longer. The reasons being that we are talking about the club's spending patterns after Calciopoli. Yes, we didn't spend big post Amauri and Diego, who were bought one season after our return. Agreed. But keep in mind that was another transfer director, who was then replaced by the current one who inherited the club in a depressed state of affairs.

So yes, it would be advisable to proceed with caution in such a scenario and we can argue that it's a fair policy coming off 7th place. But to forecast and say that we don't tend to do it, is just wrong, because if the club has ambitions in Europe,mwhich I know for a fact that it does, then its clear that it has to begin to piece together a team that boasts of players relevant in top continental teams. The team is growing in its rebuilding process, so it is bound to need a certain kind of personnel. Sure, you can tell me that we can't achieve it season after season. But if we can't buy one top player or maybe European level player after three domestic titles in a row, then there is a problem. Moggi, for all his wily ways, spent big when required. He may not have done it every season, that is a fair enough point. But if we are talking about creating cycles and building teams, then we need to realize that this is a mix of everything. Including those key players who cost a bit of money. I'm not of the opinion that we should only be spending big, but I'm definitely of the opinion that you need pillars to your overall design, and those key pillars may require a higher initial investment before they pay you back.

The economy isn't going to change, so we are going to have to find out a way to draw this balance. You don't want to spend big but you want your coach to challenge in Europe. Can't have your cake and eat it too. Someting's gotta give.

- - - Updated - - -

as tactful as conte was
Two wrongs don't make a right. I didn't say conte went about it the correct way, in fact I thought he did it in a way unbecoming of a coach of a top team, but Agnelli being president, should've sought to calm the situation instead of furthering the divide.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
This is actually an argument that is not going to hold much water for much longer. The reasons being that we are talking about the club's spending patterns after Calciopoli. Yes, we didn't spend big post Amauri and Diego, who were bought one season after our return. Agreed. But keep in mind that was another transfer director, who was then replaced by the current one who inherited the club in a depressed state of affairs.

So yes, it would be advisable to proceed with caution in such a scenario and we can argue that it's a fair policy coming off 7th place. But to forecast and say that we don't tend to do it, is just wrong, because if the club has ambitions in Europe,mwhich I know for a fact that it does, then its clear that it has to begin to piece together a team that boasts of players relevant in top continental teams. The team is growing in its rebuilding process, so it is bound to need a certain kind of personnel. Sure, you can tell me that we can't achieve it season after season. But if we can't buy one top player or maybe European level player after three domestic titles in a row, then there is a problem. Moggi, for all his wily ways, spent big when required. He may not have done it every season, that is a fair enough point. But if we are talking about creating cycles and building teams, then we need to realize that this is a mix of everything. Including those key players who cost a bit of money. I'm not of the opinion that we should only be spending big, but I'm definitely of the opinion that you need pillars to your overall design, and those key pillars may require a higher initial investment before they pay you back.

The economy isn't going to change, so we are going to have to find out a way to draw this balance. You don't want to spend big but you want your coach to challenge in Europe. Can't have your cake and eat it too. Someting's gotta give.
It's not like I disagree with you.

I'm just saying (my opinion) that even this summer we're not gonna spend big, at least not if we're talking about one big player. We'll see how it goes, but looking at Marotta's comments I'm pretty sure I'll be right.

ZoSo

TSUUUUUUU
Jul 11, 2011
I guess it could also come down to new signings vs a new project. Maybe Conte feels that with 1 or 2 important signings that the team can take the next step and have a shot at winning the CL since some key players i.e. Pirlo, Buffon, Barzagli, Licht will probably be declining in 1-2+ years and we won't have a better shot than this. And possibly mgmt feels that it's better to save the money for a new project i.e. youth signings. Maybe by not spending much the past couple of seasons we saved some money for a later date for such a decision and now they are at odds over this...

Cronios

Juventolog
Jun 7, 2004
I heard Conte is a bit selfish sometimes, maybe it's one of those times?
Sometimes he may ask for things that seem unrealistic, but not because he is selfish, but he actually believes in them.
Just like when he said that he would be good for the club and we were in doubt about if this will be good for the club really, or his personal carrier and it turned out, that indeed it was the best for the club.
Right now, he is in a position to do smth for our club that would take us in the next step and this is the only way to do it!
I believe that he has no intention to go, no matter how silly this might look to some of us, he really believes that there is a way for our club to improve and he is ready to put his head in line for this, just like he did, with that betting scandal,
he took the bullet for Juve then, instead of defending his self.
I am cinvinced that he is doing the same now.

He knows better than us what our team is capable of, heck better than the board too!
Hw knows were our weaknesses lie and this is his best effort to do smth about it!

And its not only Conte, many among us, dont agree with the ways are handled by the board, its always trial and error for them, as they are inexperienced, but Conte was a part of the team, when we in a full throttle,
he knows how to make it work, he loves the club and we need to trust him!
The spectacle over performance, was gone, the ItalJuve project is gone, the quantity over quality must gone too, if we want to compete at the highest levels!

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
The tl;dr now is basically 'take the risk and spend money we can't afford to lose', 'spending = ambition'. It's exactly the same philosophy as the Secco days. Forget FFP and all that, let's go big or go home. Or we could just wait until next season when we'll actually have revenue streams we can use in the mercato.

icemaη

Rab's Husband - The Regista
Aug 27, 2008
Two wrongs don't make a right. I didn't say conte went about it the correct way, in fact I thought he did it in a way unbecoming of a coach of a top team, but Agnelli being president, should've sought to calm the situation instead of furthering the divide.
Maybe the decision has already been made. I don't think Agnelli made any comment before this one.

Raz

Nov 20, 2005
Sometimes he may ask for things that seem unrealistic, but not because he is selfish, but he actually believes in them.
Just like when he said that he would be good for the club and we were in doubt about if this will be good for the club really, or his personal carrier and it turned out, that indeed it was the best for the club.
Right now, he is in a position to do smth for our club that would take us in the next step and this is the only way to do it!
I believe that he has no intention to go, no matter how silly this might look to some of us, he really believes that there is a way for our club to improve and he is ready to put his head in line for this, just like he did, with that betting scandal,
he took the bullet for Juve then, instead of defending his self.
I am cinvinced that he is doing the same now.

He knows better than us what our team is capable of, heck better than the board too!
Hw knows were our weaknesses lie and this is his best effort to do smth about it!
Ladies and gentelmen - a troll or a retard. Take your pick.

Obviously didn't read past the first line. How this guy isn't banned is beyond me.

Vlad

In Allegri We Trust
May 23, 2011
Maybe he's been fed up with constantly calming the situation down and being the reasonable one, while coach has decided to complain right and left on numerous occasions. Who knows what might have happened in the private meetings between these two over the years. It's not Conte's first cry to the media and I don't think it would be the last. And it wasn't as bad as the media headline suggests.

We're just barely within FFP atm btw.

ZoSo

TSUUUUUUU
Jul 11, 2011
The tl;dr now is basically 'take the risk and spend money we can't afford to lose', 'spending = ambition'. It's exactly the same philosophy as the Secco days. Forget FFP and all that, let's go big or go home. Or we could just wait until next season when we'll actually have revenue streams we can use in the mercato.
The difference is we are at a critical point now and are coming off the back of 3 consecutive scudetti. I think that in 2 seasons time it will be too late.

icemaη

Aug 27, 2008
We lost 25 million this season due to the CL exit, a big part of which would have been used to buy players. That can happen again. I don't think they are ready to take a huge risk on destroying the positive direction on the financial front by taking an undue risk. And I don't disagree with that.

Cronios

Juventolog
Jun 7, 2004
Who said anything about spending more money?
We only need to spend the money we usually spend, but wiser!
With greater efficiency...

icemaη

Aug 27, 2008
Ladies and gentelmen - a troll or a retard. Take your pick.

Obviously didn't read past the first line. How this guy isn't banned is beyond me.
Sadly there's no clause for being stupid. You guys can always ignore list, think of the mods :frown:

Cronios

Juventolog
Jun 7, 2004
We lost 25 million this season due to the CL exit, a big part of which would have been used to buy players. That can happen again. I don't think they are ready to take a huge risk on destroying the positive direction on the financial front by taking an undue risk. And I don't disagree with that.
We lost 25mil, by choice, we ought to get a better player to step up for Bonucci, but we got Ogbonna, who might become good in the future, but wasnt ready now, when we needed him...

AlexOB

Apr 2, 2014
Actually he didn't say that nobody is irreplaceable after a question about Conte, the journalist asked him if there is anyone irrepleceable in this club and he answered "No, not even me." There's a bit of a difference. He couldn't give the same "politically correct" answer Marotta gave yesterday because he was not directly aske about Conte. Report news must be accurate, cause there can be some misunderstanding.

Raz

Nov 20, 2005
Sadly there's no clause for being stupid. You guys can always ignore list, think of the mods :frown:
Ignore list doesn't work, he gets quoted, plus it messes up the nice interface :)

I feel ya, though I would yellow card him for every troll attempt.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
Who said anything about spending more money?
We only need to spend the money we usually spend, but wiser!
With greater efficiency...
I've already said my bit on that dozens of times, and I don't include imaginary, hypothetical or inflated transfer fees in my calculations, either.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 22)