Andrea Barzagli (13 Viewers)

s4tch

Mar 23, 2015
http://www.football-italia.net/83202/barzagli-juve-cl-not-just-luck

Barzagli: 'Juve CL not just luck'
By Football Italia staff

Andrea Barzagli says Juventus' defeats in the Champions League 'don't come down to bad luck'.

In spite of their domestic success, the Old Lady still struggle in Europe, having failed to lift the biggest continental trophy in twenty years now.

“I don't think it just comes down to bad luck,” Barzagli told Tuttosport. “We must get used to playing in certain matches. In the Champions League there's tremendous quality and the games are very open.

“It's a different competition from our championship, in which even our team may hold back and work on not taking goals. You can't do that in the Champions League, you have to strike a blow for a blow.

“The more used we get to facing certain teams, the more likely we are to make it all the way. I think this year we did better than the last in the group stage, although we were knocked out of the last sixteen in the final minute.

“If we'd passed that stage, who knows what we could have done. What matters is that we keep getting there every year, and that each of us keeps raising our bar.

“The Scudetto? I'd rather win it in person than mathematically in front of the TV. But let it go as it must. We did win it in front of the TV in the past.

“Now we must go to Florence with the same levels of determination, without cooling down. We still have a Coppa Italia final to play, we can't get there exhausted after two weeks' worth of celebration.

“[Paulo] Dybala? He doesn't play as well in training because he's up against us.

“As for my contract, everything's fine, there's no problem at all. The club will announce it soon.”
:lol: but the whole interview is just pure gold.

barza :heart:

napoleonic

Sep 7, 2010
in other words he's saying that being defensive + grinta isn't working for CL, that we have to trade blows or trade attacks or trade scores... which mean we have to strife on being pro active rather than reactive... well finally I get it myself with the word, the key is being pro active rather than reactive... as I've said on the tactic thread, our downside in europe which I've seen on all these years with juve being with different players and coaches were due to exactly that, we as a team are more instinctively reactive than pro active, that is why on certain european matches we tend to fall back and pinned down like amateurs... and that caused us to suffer more than we should not, this is also what I think the fundamental difference between us and other giants, others are instinctively more pro active with their flair and fancy, while we are reactive with defending and grinta... so at certain point, basically we surrendered against them due to this thing... hmmm can it be classified as mentality? but yes that is exactly the problem... we are instinctively reactive, while to win on europe/CL teams are required to be more on the pro active side... exactly what is supported by history data, european winners are dominated by teams that are instinctively pro active than reactive.

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
Mar 6, 2003
in other words he's saying that being defensive + grinta isn't working for CL, that we have to trade blows or trade attacks or trade scores... which mean we have to strife on being pro active rather than reactive... well finally I get it myself with the word, the key is being pro active rather than reactive... as I've said on the tactic thread, our downside in europe which I've seen on all these years with juve being with different players and coaches were due to exactly that, we as a team are more instinctively reactive than pro active, that is why on certain european matches we tend to fall back and pinned down like amateurs... and that caused us to suffer more than we should not, this is also what I think the fundamental difference between us and other giants, others are instinctively more pro active with their flair and fancy, while we are reactive with defending and grinta... so at certain point, basically we surrendered against them due to this thing... hmmm can it be classified as mentality? but yes that is exactly the problem... we are instinctively reactive, while to win on europe/CL teams are required to be more on the pro active side... exactly what is supported by history data, european winners are dominated by teams that are instinctively pro active than reactive.
yeh.

We saw how our approach ca affect games. Look at both legs vs bayern. in the first one, we were severely passive...while in the 2nd game we went out there for the kill and it paid.

We need to add some players to make our attack scarier and try to play our game, but above all, try to play to score instead of the waiting game of defensive tactics. Thats what the top tiers do. They dont play thinking what the other can do.. but are more positively minded and focused on the kind of damage they can do.

They have the players and the past experiences to know what their team is capable to do.. so they focus on trying to emulate those situations to see if they will happen again, which they eventually do.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
Well it's just an example that any style of football can win a game. Winning a two-legged tie against a side like Barcelona is very difficult, however. You need excellence and also luck to stop them scoring, no matter the philosophy or formation.

brb just editing the old photo I used :D

Jan 5, 2007
imo any style [ offensive - deffensive - balanced ] can win a major trophy as long the team perfect it well.
many limit the chances of winning to offensive playing style cuz its more entertaining and its the common style right now.

s4tch

Mar 23, 2015
Chelsea was lucky as fuck though, whilst as much as i hate it, mou's Inter was a Machine.
they had their fair share of luck against barcelona, though. and as far as i remember, they looked like going out of the group like 15 minutes from the end of the last round of the group stages, too.

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
I will always remember Barzagli's run on that counter. Also, how good is he, that he managed to make giovinco score :lol:

- - - Updated - - -

they had their fair share of luck against barcelona, though. and as far as i remember, they looked like going out of the group like 15 minutes from the end of the last round of the group stages, too.
That 3-1 victory against the best ever barcelona at home, is one of the greatest games i've ever seen from another team

As haengeboffer states : they outplayed barcelona at home.
In Camp Nou ,they went down to 10 following a disgusting red card, and managed to keep it to 1-0

I've never seen a team able to resist barcelona in their prime that good. Mind you, that was Messi's 73 goal season. They were absolutely bashing the shit out of everyone.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 11)