Andrea Barzagli (19 Viewers)

frzl

Apr 15, 2006
http://football-italia.net/47832/barzagli-back-bologna-report

Barzagli back for Bologna - report

Andrea Barzagli is in line to return to the Juventus squad for next weekend’s game against Bologna, according to reports.
The central defender has been plagued by a calf injury this season, which has seen him miss the last five games.
But Tuttosport claim that the 32-year-old is back in training at Vinovo, and could be in line to make the match against the Rossoblu next Saturday.
Barzagli will not feature against Udinese this evening however, as the Bianconeri look to re-establish their eight point gap at the top of the table.

Scottish

Zebrastreifenpferd
Mar 13, 2011
Playing a game tonight (at CB, of course) and I've been watching Barzagli clips on youtube to get myself pumped up for it. Thanks to @dann10. for the videos

Barzagli is just on another level. I wasn't a Juventino back in 05-06 so I didn't watch Cannavaro play then but surely Barzagli's almost complete lack of mistakes would put him up close to Cannavaro's Ballon d'Or form? Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong

Scottish

Zebrastreifenpferd
Mar 13, 2011
Oh, I watched him at the 2006 world cup. Lots of players have excelled at international tournaments but not at club level, though. I'm talking about Cannavaro's form at Juventus. Barzagli makes on average something like one mistake every 4 games, and most of those he cleans up himself. I agree that the general standard of player has fallen down a level in the past 10 years or so, but with Barzagli playing at such a high level, how much better could Cannavaro have been?

Nov 17, 2012
I'm going to put this out there, but based on Barzagli's epically high standards of performance and consistency; I'm quite willing to put him on par with 2006 Cannavaro. I'm still of the belief that Nesta was the superior defender anyway, but his cause was hurt when he got injured during the WC; as well, Cannavaro managed to hit a ridiculously thick vein of good form at the time, and beasted the entire tournament. Not taking anything away from Fabio, he proved year in and year out to be a very able defender, but he hit his zenith during a short period, and then happen to have fallen from it quite rapidly. Barzagli on the other hand has rejuvenated and reinvented himself as a defender and a player as a whole; we could easily sell him for 15m, which would be amazing given the stupidly low price we paid for him.

Adrian

Jan 31, 2003
Cannavaro's first stint at Juve was amazing! 05/06 season plus the WC06 put him on another level. Barzagli has been great for us but he isn't that class of defenders like Nesta, Maldini, Costacurta, Baresi, Bergomi, Scirea etc...Cannavaro will be deemed in a group that would be considered the best ever in Italy...Barzagli will not.

Scottish

Zebrastreifenpferd
Mar 13, 2011
Cannavaro's first stint at Juve was amazing! 05/06 season plus the WC06 put him on another level. Barzagli has been great for us but he isn't that class of defenders like Nesta, Maldini, Costacurta, Baresi, Bergomi, Scirea etc...Cannavaro will be deemed in a group that would be considered the best ever in Italy...Barzagli will not.
Would you feel any different if Barzagli was getting the kind of worldwide recognition that was received by those other players you mentioned? If Barzagli was being included in Ballon d'Or lists would you see him as one of the greats?

Bianconero_Aus

Beppe Marotta Is My God
May 26, 2009
Cannavaro was amazing for us in those two seasons (04-06) Definitely better than Barzagli, but then again, he was also surrounded by an absolutely amazing back line and team in general.

Barzagli has easily been our best CB since those times though. Amazing career turnaround.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 19)