Andrea Barzagli (6 Viewers)

Jem83

maitre'd at Canal Bar
Nov 7, 2005
Comparing anyone to Cannavaro is always difficult due to the sheer significance of that player. He captained his country to World Cup-success, which means that comparing Barzagli to him will seem weird to some people.

Cannavaro was also arguably the best defender in the world for a vast portion of the timespan between 2004-2006. And as for the years preceding that era, he was always a very good defender.

However, I can still understand why some would compare the two, because the truth is, Barzagli has been putting in Cannavaro-esque performances for us on many occasions. Does he have Cannavaro's significance yet? No. Will he ever? In all probability he won't. That would require Italy to win the next World Cup with him having a truly wonderful tournament.

But I don't find it silly to point out that Barzagli has reached an exceptionally high level of defending, a level that can be compared to how Cannavaro used to play at his best.

Bianconero81

Ageing Veteran
Jan 26, 2009
Maldini overrated :howler: Maldini was a World Class LB, and an extremely competent CB. He was a very elegant and intelligenet defender. Milan's formidable team and foundation in defense revolved around Baresi, Costacurta, and Maldini.

As for the Canna vs Barza debate, Cannavaro is one of the finest CB's Italy has ever produced. He joins exalted company for defenders such as names like Baresi, Scirea, Maldini, Gentile, and Nesta. However, for me personally, I always preferred Nesta and think he is the best Italian CB of the past 20 years. Such an elegant and composed defender he was :touched:

PedroFlu

Sep 20, 2011
Actually the consensus top left back of all times is Brazilian Nilton Santos. This guy practically invented the position. Before him LBs didn't attack. He was complete, a monster in defense and attacking.

Maldini was an amazing defender, but an average attacking player.

As a LB, I'd rate Roberto Carlos also ahead of him.

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
Mar 6, 2003
As a LB I rate Zambrotta over both Carlos and Maldini.
i would say carlos was ahead of the other 2 because of how physical and explosive he was.. not to mention his formidable shot.

And yes i think Maldini is a tad overrated and i rate canna and nesta higher than him.

Mar 9, 2006
i would say carlos was ahead of the other 2 because of how physical and explosive he was.. not to mention his formidable shot.

And yes i think Maldini is a tad overrated and i rate canna and nesta higher than him.
Zambrotta is the best full back that I ever witnessed , absolute beast, 2nd next is Lahm, Carlos is very overrated, even Cafu was better than him, but because of his free kicks and because he was playing for madrid media has made him very popular

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
Mar 6, 2003
i will admit that zambrotta 2003 was maybe the best.... but just that year.

he was competing with r carlos for the spot of the best lb of the tournie... but i remember clearly that him and nedved carried us to the cl practically

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 6)