Andrea Barzagli (12 Viewers)

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
Actually the consensus top left back of all times is Brazilian Nilton Santos. This guy practically invented the position. Before him LBs didn't attack. He was complete, a monster in defense and attacking.
Interesting.

Generally here Facchetti being spoken about as one of the first in that regard.

PedroFlu

Sep 20, 2011
Roberto Carlos played much much more time than Zambrotta on the highest level.

Zambrotta was amazing for like 2-3 years, RC was the undisputed world's best LB for many more years than that.

Also his defending was nearly perfect, IMO better than Zambrotta's. It's a no-brainer to me. Even though his last years at RM were utter shit and he is a disgusting person. But as a player he is by far the best I've seen.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
But who put Nilton Santos there? Surely he was a forward before a 'defender'?

- - - Updated - - -

Zambrotta was amazing for like 2-3 years, RC was the undisputed world's best LB for many more years than that.

Also his defending was nearly perfect, IMO better than Zambrotta's.
Not sure if we are talking about the same Roberto Carlos. He was a thoroughly mediocre defender if we are talking about world class level and actual defensive ability and awareness. Once he started losing his speed his defensive inabilities were highlighted. But that's to be expected because he is not a natural defender, his attacking instinct, physique and technique were awesome.

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
Mar 6, 2003
Juventino[RUS];4366196 said:
Same here, he was magnifique, could play on both wings in defence and in midfield, huge stamina, workrate, crossing, tackling....pure class, one of a kind
This. Above all his stamina and crossing. He was supreme in those 2 years. Almost unreal. He had more stamina than lichteiner, delivered sweet crosses and was able to track back and defend. Not to mention his versatility.
I also think that the wingback position was much more natural for him, physically speaking, than Lichty.

He should have never left juve to be honest. What a mistake he did.

But lets admit that rcarlos was much more consistant than him overall.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
You won't find me arguing that Roberto Carlos was a better left back over his career, but then he was always a left back, albeit an attacking one mostly found at left wing back.

Vlad

In Allegri We Trust
May 23, 2011

Also his defending was nearly perfect, IMO better than Zambrotta's. It's a no-brainer to me. Even though his last years at RM were utter shit and he is a disgusting person. But as a player he is by far the best I've seen.
Carlos was extremely overrated. He was in Inter at one point iirc and Serie A proved to be more difficult than he had expected. As for his defending I'm not sure if serious, but he never stroke me as a defensively sound player and Zambrotta was miles ahead. Another thing; every time Carlos went against those type of players, as I remember games vs Bayern and Salihamidzic, Juve and Zambrotta, he would be completely out of the game. Not that great even offensively when he faced defensively and tactically sound players.

jukazem

Feb 10, 2007
But who put Nilton Santos there? Surely he was a forward before a 'defender'?

Not sure if we are talking about the same Roberto Carlos. He was a thoroughly mediocre defender if we are talking about world class level and actual defensive ability and awareness. Once he started losing his speed his defensive inabilities were highlighted. But that's to be expected because he is not a natural defender, his attacking instinct, physique and technique were awesome.
imo speed IS the most important attribute of a wingback, which is why I will give to Carlos over Zambrotta.

Mar 9, 2006
Carlos was extremely overrated. He was in Inter at one point iirc and Serie A proved to be more difficult than he had expected. As for his defending I'm not sure if serious, but he never stroke me as a defensively sound player and Zambrotta was miles ahead. Another thing; every time Carlos went against those type of players, as I remember games vs Bayern and Salihamidzic, Juve and Zambrotta, he would be completely out of the game. Not that great even offensively when he faced defensively and tactically sound players.
no,no, HE IS SUPER DUPER MUPER OVERRATED

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 11)