An Empire Built to Last (1 Viewer)

baggio

Jun 3, 2003
Hey ppl, my new column is up on the column's page of this site. But to make it easier, here it is for yall to read. Do you guys agree...?

They say time changes everything. Truer words were never spoken if you are a Bianconero supporter. Out of luck and staring in the face of uncertainty, the glorious past seems to get farther and farther away with each passing game.
Dumped out of the Champions League by a mediocre team, one would have thought Juventus have too big a heart to sit back and accept destiny as a big scudetto deciding Sunday loomed. With yet another flaming cigar, Marcello Lippi saw his troops get run over by a well oiled Milan side. And although a 3-1 scoreline spoke harshly for the Turin giants, in no way did it hide the truth: Juventus are in dire need of reinforcement.
Having given up the chance of completing any moves in January, Moggi and co., decided they were well covered in all parts of the field. In fact, they felt so strongly about it, they even gave up Edgar Davids; the very player who embodied Juve’s fighting spirit on the field. And however much Moggi may hate to admit it, refusing to renew Davids’ contract at Juve is undoubtedly one of the worst decisions he has made ever since he joined the club. To make things worse, the balance books have read negative for the first time in seven years. And Marcello Lippi’s 8 year old Juve is perilously close to taking no silverware home for only the second time in his reign. However, there lies comfort in the fact that the Moggi\ Lippi combination has never been unsuccessful for two consecutive years. Which can only mean one thing; amendments will be made thick and fast this coming summer.
Injuries, suspensions and old age have undoubtedly had a crippling effect on Juve in their quest for a successful campaign. And bringing in some fresh legs to bolster various parts of the field are definitely the order of the day. Expect to see the old guard phased out. Not to mention, the sale of some top players to raise money for replacements. Nedved and Trezeguet are the first names that come to mind. And even though, fans may not like to see that happen, they are well acquainted with the fact that there is no place for emotional attachment at this club, no matter how well a player serves his tenure. Which is why one could also see Marcello Lippi replaced by Luigi Del Neri, whose seemingly looking like the most obvious replacement as we get closer to the month of May. It’s only because the Tuscan has made clear his desire to coach the Nazonale, and irrespective of what happens in Portugal, Giovanni Trapattoni has claimed he will step down. With a contract that expires in 2005, Marcello Lippi may well be tempted to move on. But his black and white DNA may just hold him back another year. Perhaps, that’s all he’ll need.

Buy on AliExpress.com

gray

Apr 22, 2003
...:confused:

I was simply saying that i wish i could say more about his article than "it's very good", since it's obvious that he put a lot of effort into it.

A smiley would have been nice :irritate:

The Arif

Jan 31, 2004
++ [ originally posted by baggio ] ++
Hey ppl, my new column is up on the column's page of this site. But to make it easier, here it is for yall to read. Do you guys agree...?

They say time changes everything. Truer words were never spoken if you are a Bianconero supporter. Out of luck and staring in the face of uncertainty, the glorious past seems to get farther and farther away with each passing game.
Dumped out of the Champions League by a mediocre team, one would have thought Juventus have too big a heart to sit back and accept destiny as a big scudetto deciding Sunday loomed. With yet another flaming cigar, Marcello Lippi saw his troops get run over by a well oiled Milan side. And although a 3-1 scoreline spoke harshly for the Turin giants, in no way did it hide the truth: Juventus are in dire need of reinforcement.
Having given up the chance of completing any moves in January, Moggi and co., decided they were well covered in all parts of the field. In fact, they felt so strongly about it, they even gave up Edgar Davids; the very player who embodied Juve’s fighting spirit on the field. And however much Moggi may hate to admit it, refusing to renew Davids’ contract at Juve is undoubtedly one of the worst decisions he has made ever since he joined the club. To make things worse, the balance books have read negative for the first time in seven years. And Marcello Lippi’s 8 year old Juve is perilously close to taking no silverware home for only the second time in his reign. However, there lies comfort in the fact that the Moggi\ Lippi combination has never been unsuccessful for two consecutive years. Which can only mean one thing; amendments will be made thick and fast this coming summer.
Injuries, suspensions and old age have undoubtedly had a crippling effect on Juve in their quest for a successful campaign. And bringing in some fresh legs to bolster various parts of the field are definitely the order of the day. Expect to see the old guard phased out. Not to mention, the sale of some top players to raise money for replacements. Nedved and Trezeguet are the first names that come to mind. And even though, fans may not like to see that happen, they are well acquainted with the fact that there is no place for emotional attachment at this club, no matter how well a player serves his tenure. Which is why one could also see Marcello Lippi replaced by Luigi Del Neri, whose seemingly looking like the most obvious replacement as we get closer to the month of May. It’s only because the Tuscan has made clear his desire to coach the Nazonale, and irrespective of what happens in Portugal, Giovanni Trapattoni has claimed he will step down. With a contract that expires in 2005, Marcello Lippi may well be tempted to move on. But his black and white DNA may just hold him back another year. Perhaps, that’s all he’ll need.

great article baggio ;):thumb:

juvesta

Sep 6, 2002
+1 for great article.

I don't want lippi to go but i think the prospect of winning the world cup in 2006 with azzuri maybe too tempting for him. He would most probably want to start with WC qualification games. When do they start by the way? bcos they would probably determine when he would go.

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
++ [ originally posted by baggio ] ++

Injuries, suspensions and old age have undoubtedly had a crippling effect on Juve in their quest for a successful campaign. And bringing in some fresh legs to bolster various parts of the field are definitely the order of the day. Expect to see the old guard phased out. Not to mention, the sale of some top players to raise money for replacements. Nedved and Trezeguet are the first names that come to mind. And even though, fans may not like to see that happen, they are well acquainted with the fact that there is no place for emotional attachment at this club, no matter how well a player serves his tenure. Which is why one could also see Marcello Lippi replaced by Luigi Del Neri, whose seemingly looking like the most obvious replacement as we get closer to the month of May. It’s only because the Tuscan has made clear his desire to coach the Nazonale, and irrespective of what happens in Portugal, Giovanni Trapattoni has claimed he will step down. With a contract that expires in 2005, Marcello Lippi may well be tempted to move on. But his black and white DNA may just hold him back another year. Perhaps, that

’s all he’ll need.
good article :)

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
The other article posted in the colums page (it's also on the juventuz.com/home page

Time for changes
Written by Najib Zakaria

Milan is running away with the championship and the Bianconeri has been eliminated from the Champions League. Now that has to mean something is not right. I would like to outline a few problems that might be the reason behind the current dip in Juve's form.

I'm very sure that many Bianconeri Faithfuls might notice that Juventus still lacks depth compared to other European giants like Real Madrid. While I understand that Juventus likes to buy young players and nuture them into world-class players, we are seriously short of mature players in the class of Figo and Zidane. It does not take a genius to realise that mature world class players make a team more formidable and thereby substantially increase its chance to win trophies. I am not asking Mr Moggi to buy spend bus loads of money like the way Chelsea or Real Madrid is doing. Somehow the honchos at Juventus must find the cash to buy players that will make Juve a team will depth. The Juve team that won their last champions league boasted the likes of Vieri, Zidane, Vialli, Deschamps and many more . And some of them are still world-class players. And Mr Lippi, losing Edgar Davids to Barca is a very serious mistake. You said it yourself he is your one-man engine room, the indispensible midfield dynamo. He characterises the way Juve plays football.

Another problem I would like to highlight is the kind of tactics that Mr Lippi uses. Yes, Italian football is famous for Catennachio and present-day managers have succefully adapted it to suit the modern game. Juventus and Milan proved that this tactic works last season . Again like most tactics and strategies, it does not always work and it will become obsolete with time. It certainly does not kill to play a bit more attacking football like the way spanish teams do or even milan. Just look how much of a class act Arsenal is, though their defence leaves alot to be desired for on some occasions.

It is time to break the mould. Juventus need to change the way they play football. Please Mr Lippi, no more rigid defensive football and please buy more players. I mean world-class players that will make a difference and make opponents shudder when they hear the name juventus!

Najib Zakaria

.............................................................................................

overall, good article, but some things i dont agree with:
1. Juve are better than most teams when it comes to depth. we have so many players in so many positions.. perhaps you were looking for a word other than "depth"
real Madrid have little depth. They dont have backup defenders for every position. they shuffle their formation when 1 of Zidane, R.Carlos, or ronaldo is out. What makes them win is that they have so many other stars to put in big performances when needed.

2. When we won the CL, we didn't have VIERI or Zidane. (EDIT: WE DID HAVE VIALLI). we only got to the final just as we did last year (although i admit last year, we were the underdogs).

3. Milan didn't play catenaccio last year. maybe only vs. Inter a bit and us in the final. but they played balanced football when they kicked Deportivo La coruna, Ream Madrid, and Munich's asses. Juve dont even play it that much. That team that played catenaccio last year was Inter.

juvesta

Sep 6, 2002
3. Milan didn't play catenaccio last year. maybe only vs. Inter a bit and us in the final. but they played balanced football when they kicked Deportivo La coruna, Ream Madrid, and Munich's asses. Juve dont even play it that much. That team that played catenaccio last year was Inter.

I dont really remember us playing cantenaccio either. If i remember correctly we scored more goals and conceded less that all serie a sides in each of the past 2 seasons. I don't think we were winning 1-0s.

Again i don't think Arsenal is a good example to gauge your progress in the sense that they have achievd nothing in europe so far and i don't they will this year. Last year they beat Roma 3-1 and everyone was making noise about them. In my opinion there r simply overrated and the premiership makes them look much good than they actually are. Their progress this year in ECL is bcos of morrati.He sacked Cuper who would have @ gotten a point(or a narrow margin defeat) against Arsenal which would have effectively taken arsenal out.

my 2 cents.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)