American NFL Football (33 Viewers)

OP
Torkel

Torkel

f(s+1)=3((s +1)-1=3s
Jul 12, 2002
  • Thread Starter #242
    Zé Tahir said:
    Is it colder in Scandinavia or Minnesota?
    I'm pretty certain that the cold parts of Norway are colder than the colder parts of Minnesota, but I wouldn't know really. The only thing I know about the climate in Minnesota is that it's know for being a pretty cold place in U.S. terms.

EDIT: No no, egg on my face. Checked wikipedia and it seems the average temperature in January in Minnesota is -11C, while it's -4C in Oslo. The cold record in Minnesota is -51C, while the record in Norway is a bit colder than that, but it's pretty cold. Seems like it's generally colder in Minnesota, except for the more extreme parts of Norway. Norway is heated due to the Gulf stream and our extremely long coast line, which I guess is why it's warmer here. According to Wiki Minnesota is often colder than Alaska, because Alaska is also heated by the Gulf stream, while Minnesota obviously is inland.

Hardcore weather stuff here, hope your getting this, Andy. :D

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
    NFC North should rule the league as far as I'm concerned, and that would make me happy. I would welcome an outdoor stadium in Minnesota. It was such a menacing home field advantage for the Vikings of old to tune their team for the rigors of arctic football weather -- where the warm-weather patsies from pampered Southern climates wilted. They were the Purple People Eaters... an analog to Chicago's Monsters of the Midway.

Feared. And if they won home field advantage in the playoffs, they had a serious edge. (Another reason why I hate the choices of neutral SuperBowl locations -- it's more for the vacation-like climates and fan revenues than for the teams.)

As for the Walker trade, some background FYI since you weren't around then. The Vikes had always looked for a missing piece of the puzzle for their continued underachievement... something that has continued in their playoff picture to this day. Their answer was a running back in the form of U of Georgia standout, USFL player, and future NCAA hall-of-famer Herschel Walker. Get him, and they'd have the SuperBowl trophy ... or so they thought.

Minnesota GM Mike Lynn spent like a drunken sailor to get him, trading five roster players and six draft picks and their 1992 first draft pick to Dallas in exchange for the one: Herschel Walker. As you will see quoted on many a Google search result, the trade ranks among the worst in sporting history. (The Vikings ultimately dumped Walker altogether, and he ended up on noneother than the same Dallas Cowboys.)

Just check out the references to Walker in the Vikes draft history:
    http://vikings.scout.com/2/37517.html

With all these top draft picks, Dallas then picked up Emmitt Smith, Darren Woodson, and enough trading material for Jerry Jones to give Dallas a SuperBowl trophy within three seasons ... and go on to win 3 of them out of the following 4 years.

And I really detest the Cowboys. :ferocious

OP
    Torkel

Torkel

f(s+1)=3((s +1)-1=3s
    Jul 12, 2002
  • Thread Starter #244
    We traded our two first picks in three consecutive seasons plus five players for him?! Seems we're better off with no GM like now than Mike Lynn in charge.

Thanks a lot for that post, Greg, very informative. :)

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
    Torkel said:
    I'm pretty certain that the cold parts of Norway are colder than the colder parts of Minnesota, but I wouldn't know really. The only thing I know about the climate in Minnesota is that it's know for being a pretty cold place in U.S. terms.

EDIT: No no, egg on my face. Checked wikipedia and it seems the average temperature in January in Minnesota is -11C, while it's -4C in Oslo. The cold record in Minnesota is -51C, while the record in Norway is a bit colder than that, but it's pretty cold. Seems like it's generally colder in Minnesota, except for the more extreme parts of Norway. Norway is heated due to the Gulf stream and our extremely long coast line, which I guess is why it's warmer here. According to Wiki Minnesota is often colder than Alaska, because Alaska is also heated by the Gulf stream, while Minnesota obviously is inland.

Hardcore weather stuff here, hope your getting this, Andy. :D
    Well obviously since there is no warm body of water close to Minnesota towards the West, and with the usual Southeastern winds coming from friggid Canada, of course they will have some pretty harsh winters. And yes, huge bodies of water always keep the temperature of surrounding locations a bit warmer than usual. ;)

The Pado

Filthy Gobbo
    Jul 12, 2002
    Torkel said:
    Ah, you're a Green Bay fan, I see. It's ok then. Are you originally from Wisconsin or thereabouts?
    No, New Jersey actually. I was raised as a Green Bay fan by my fanactic father who picked Green Bay as his team in 1951 because they were the sorriest team in the league. I'm sure it helped that they took a chance later in hiring an Italian-American coach at a time when nobody else would.

Vince Lombardi interviewed for the coaching job at Wake Forest University (North Carolina). He only got the interview because of his connections with the New York Giants organization. After the interview, Wake Forest said he did fine, but there is no way somebody named "Lombardi" would ever coach Wake Forest. Hehehehe, I guess they regretted that move.

OP
    Torkel

Torkel

f(s+1)=3((s +1)-1=3s
    Jul 12, 2002
  • Thread Starter #251
    Who do people like in the playoffs? I think the Panthers will beat the Bears, can't really see the Bears winning with that offense. But I couldn't see them winning many matches before the season, and they did...

If the Patriots stay clear of injuries from now on I think they can be great. The Broncos are in for a tough match. I really hope the Colts kick the snot out of the Steelers and their fat, whining Qb.

Someone needs to give me a report on that Texas Qb Young, any good? Will the Texans pick him?

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
    Not to overglorify the Grossman effect (afterall, he could get knocked out for the next 12 months in the first quarter ... talk about a man o' glass), but the Bears have a much more opportunistic offense with Grossman in there. Moose Mohammed suddenly becomes a factor. It's not a huge difference, but it's enough -- especially with Thomas Jones playing as he has this season. And remember the old saying: defense wins championships. (Trent Dilfer, anyone?!)

But I don't think the Panthers are going to be pushovers. Should be a tough, tight match. Bears lack the playoff experience, IMO, so I might give the edge to the Panthers as well (not that they are loaded with playoff success either, but...)

It's still looking like Seattle, Indianapolis, and you can never exclude the Patriots when it comes down to prime time, of course. In fact, I'll pick a Seattle-New England Super Bowl with New England to win, surprisingly.

Pittsburgh and Washington are also playing very well (and the Redskins' record is deceiving, given their competition this season), but they're not there yet.

Btw, this is my all-time favorite weekend for the NFL. It's as good as it gets. Best games, best atmosphere, etc. The conference championships are great, but the competition is different and there are fewer games. And the Super Bowl? That's a complete joke of course -- just this shy of being the Pro Bowl with a better trophy.

OP
    Torkel

Torkel

f(s+1)=3((s +1)-1=3s
    Jul 12, 2002
  • Thread Starter #253
    I have a feeling that Seattle can implode and lose to anybody. IMO Alexander is overrated(or people underestimate the importance of their O-line), and Hasselbeck isn't fantastic. I just don't feel that they are for real, or at least I feel they'll get whopped by whoever makes it to the bowl from the AFC.

I haven't seen the Bears this year, so I'm looking forward to this weeks game. I can't really see how they score any points except for field goals and int. returns.

It's weird, cause as said I haven't seen the Bears this year, and I've only watched Seattle once, but that match was useless (against the Eagles). The Panthers, Steelers and Patriots I've seen a million times, 13-14 times combined. The Colts I've seen twice. I know these teams much better, and it's making it hard for me to predict stuff.

They don't show the Pro Bowl over here, I wish they did. Seems like fun, especially those contests they have beforehand.

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
    Torkel said:
    I have a feeling that Seattle can implode and lose to anybody. IMO Alexander is overrated(or people underestimate the importance of their O-line), and Hasselbeck isn't fantastic. I just don't feel that they are for real, or at least I feel they'll get whopped by whoever makes it to the bowl from the AFC.
    I don't see them coming home with any Super Bowl trophies, that's for sure. They're mostly lucky to be in such an anaemic division in a lackluster conference.

I haven't seen the Bears this year, so I'm looking forward to this weeks game. I can't really see how they score any points except for field goals and int. returns.
    Typically they are one offensive score, one defensive or special teams score, and a field goal or more added to the mix. It's pretty formula. With Grossman, they can venture into the two offensive TD category.

But I don't see these guys ready for playoff success yet. Washington is my dark horse pick, and I could see them beating the Bears as well.

They don't show the Pro Bowl over here, I wish they did. Seems like fun, especially those contests they have beforehand.
    The Pro Bowl is really a joke. It's just a "vacation bowl" -- players go to Hawaii and play a meaningless game and collect their endorsements. That sort of thing.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
    Well, the 2006-2007 season starts next Thursday.

Last I checked, the 49ers still suck.

College football started this week. Thank God.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 29)