American NFL Football (22 Viewers)

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
San Diego Chargers star outside linebacker Shawne Merriman was arrested Sunday and accused of choking and restraining reality TV star Tila Tequila as she tried to leave his suburban home.
-------------------------------------

:rofl:, I'm only laughing at the fact that those two knuckleheads are dating & not the incident, what a mismatch.
I am laughing because Tila Tequila most likely deserved it. :shifty:

Well, at least some bitch-slapping.

.zero

★ ★ ★
Aug 8, 2006
apparently he was trying to stop her from driving home drunk

she called the cops and told them that he choked her out

both of them are idiots

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
stafford will be good

In 2 or 3 years probably. Its too much to ask of him to lead an 0-16 team like that.

He's not blessed with that talent that Sanchez has around him, especially if the Jets somehow get Brandon Marshall.

And he certainly doesn't have the talent that Matt Ryan had last year either.

I hope this kid has the mental makeup to deal with it, because if it goes badly this year, it could ruin his career

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
There are lots of things that could ruin a career. Playing for the Lions is one of them.

I just don't think this is a very good idea. Peyton Manning aside, who was so far advanced mentally as a QB coming out of college that his football IQ was off the charts, its usually a disaster for a rookie QB taking over the starting spot right away. Unless you are in a unique situation where you had good teams coming off of bad years, and those QB's just happen to be there, (Falcons last year, Steelers 4 years ago).

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
I just don't think this is a very good idea. Peyton Manning aside, who was so far advanced mentally as a QB coming out of college that his football IQ was off the charts, its usually a disaster for a rookie QB taking over the starting spot right away. Unless you are in a unique situation where you had good teams coming off of bad years, and those QB's just happen to be there, (Falcons last year, Steelers 4 years ago).
As far as the Falcons, they already had a solid base to support Ryan as you said and I think Big Ben passes like 9 times a game or something in his rookie year (exaggerating).

Bottom line. Neither the Jets nor the Lions have what it takes to support a young inexperienced quarterback. Both Sanchez and Stafford are going to have a lot of pressure to create offense and make plays. I think Sanchez will be most successful because he has Jones and Washington while Stafford only has Johnson.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
I'm no QB expert as I've never played the position competitively, so I have no idea about Stafford. But you're right in saying that it's all about whether or not the kid has the mentality and footballing brain to take the football. I didn't follow Georgia religiously last season, so I can't comment on how he dealt with pressure situations and styles of play more suited to the pros.

But playing Culpepper won't get us anywhere. So it's either pay the piper now, take the risks, or just waste another couple years trying nothing new.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
I'm no QB expert as I've never played the position competitively, so I have no idea about Stafford. But you're right in saying that it's all about whether or not the kid has the mentality and footballing brain to take the football. I didn't follow Georgia religiously last season, so I can't comment on how he dealt with pressure situations and styles of play more suited to the pros.

But playing Culpepper won't get us anywhere. So it's either pay the piper now, take the risks, or just waste another couple years trying nothing new.
He was a bit of a big game choker at Georgia. He had a sick team (Knowshown
+ great D) and couldn't win the big games.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
He was a bit of a big game choker at Georgia. He had a sick team (Knowshown
+ great D) and couldn't win the big games.
Well that's not good. I know he had a pretty good arm, read the game decently, so I guess that's why they drafted him.

But I don't have faith in the Lions scouting staff and front office freaks, obviously.

So we just have to see what happens.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
Well that's not good. I know he had a pretty good arm, read the game decently, so I guess that's why they drafted him.

But I don't have faith in the Lions scouting staff and front office freaks, obviously.

So we just have to see what happens.
As far as what a QB should physically, Stafford is that without a doubt. But he's a bit of an underachiever. I'm not saying he's automatically going to fail, I think with the right guidance anyone with his tools can be successful. The question is what the priority for the Lions is going to be, ticket sales v. long term success.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
As far as what a QB should physically, Stafford is that without a doubt. But he's a bit of an underachiever. I'm not saying he's automatically going to fail, I think with the right guidance anyone with his tools can be successful. The question is what the priority for the Lions is going to be, ticket sales v. long term success.
That's another worrying facet of the Lions. I wouldn't be surprised if they do start Stafford just to draw in more viewers.

In some ways, it would be more assuring that they are completely inept in both aspects of running a team, so they don't interfere, letting the chess pieces fall as they may.

Sort of like a free market Lion-ism.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 17)