American NFL Football (63 Viewers)

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
Take a look at the three other major sports, and what is the common theme that you hear when a player is going to be released when he is still under contract?

"Contract Buyout"

That NEVER happens in the NFL, because that doesn't exist.

No such thing in the NFL. You can be released on a moment's notice and you don't see a dime of the remaining money on your contract.
Or guaranteed money, like in the NBA.

I get it. Probably needs to be more ethical. Until then, I guess that's more of a reason to take advantage of a college education.

Buy on AliExpress.com

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
Or guaranteed money, like in the NBA.

I get it. Probably needs to be more ethical. Until then, I guess that's more of a reason to take advantage of a college education.
That may be true in regards to a college education, but we are talking apples and oranges here. Whether or not the football players should be getting those college educations are irrelevant to the matter at hand.

All contracts in MLB, NHL (even the two way contracts), and the NBA (with the exception of 2nd round draft picks) are guaranteed.

To ask the players to take a 10% loss in payouts from gross revenue without at least partially guaranteeing the contracts is very foolish on the owners' part, in my opinion

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Lions schedule is out.

Lions Regular-Season Schedule (All times Eastern)
Week 1: Sunday, Sep. 11, at Tampa Bay, 1:00 PM
Week 2: Sunday, Sep. 18, Kansas City, 1:00 PM
Week 3: Sunday, Sep. 25, at Minnesota, 1:00 PM
Week 4: Sunday, Oct. 2, at Dallas, 1:00 PM
Week 5: Monday, Oct. 10, Chicago, 8:30 PM
Week 6: Sunday, Oct. 16, San Francisco, 1:00 PM
Week 7: Sunday, Oct. 23, Atlanta, 1:00 PM
Week 8: Sunday, Oct. 30, at Denver, 4:05 PM
Week 9: BYE
Week 10: Sunday, Nov. 13, at Chicago, 1:00 PM
Week 11: Sunday, Nov. 20, Carolina, 1:00 PM
Week 12: Thursday, Nov. 24, Green Bay, 12:30 PM
Week 13: Sunday, Dec. 4, at New Orleans, 1:00 PM
Week 14: Sunday, Dec. 11, Minnesota, 1:00 PM
Week 15: Sunday, Dec. 18, at Oakland, 4:05 PM
Week 16: Saturday, Dec. 24, San Diego, 4:05 PM
Week 17: Sunday, Jan. 1, at Green Bay, 1:00 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/26122/detroit-lions-schedule-analysis

Apparently, it's ranked the 4th toughest schedule in the NFL.

Arizona's schedule is ranked the easiest despite playing Seattle, New York, Washington, and Baltimore away.

So it matters very little.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
Here is San Francisco's schedule

6-10 season, here we come. This is fucking Brutal. They travel 2500 miles more than the next closest team

San Francisco 49ers schedule analysis
April, 19, 2011 Apr 197:10PM ETEmail Print Comments40 By Mike SandoBreakdown: The 49ers open the Jim Harbaugh era with home games against Seattle and Dallas. The team then plays three of its next four on the road, however, and there are truly some brutal stretches for San Francisco. The one home game during that stretch falls against a Tampa Bay team that shut out the 49ers at Candlestick Park last season. Later, the 49ers visit Baltimore for a Thanksgiving game on NFL Network. They play at home against Pittsburgh on "Monday Night Football" in Week 15. Teams welcome playing in prime time, but those are a couple of tough matchups. More on that below.

Complaint department: Where to begin? The 49ers play a Monday night game at home against the Steelers followed by a Saturday game against the Seahawks at Qwest Field. That's a tough turnaround, but there is more. The 49ers play a Sunday game at home against division-rival Arizona on Dec. 11, followed by a Thanksgiving game across the country in Baltimore -- a highly anticipated matchup pitting 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh against his brother, John. That's just brutal. On top of it all, the league again saddled the 49ers with more 10 a.m. PT kickoffs than any West Coast team should have to face. Five of the six potential early starts will indeed kick off in the 10 a.m. PT hour, matching the total for Seattle. That's 27 early kickoffs in 28 chances since 2007. Good luck, Jim.

Hitting the road late: The 49ers close the season with three NFC West road games in four weeks. Their only home game during that stretch is the prime-time matchup with Pittsburgh. This reminds me of the four-game stretch San Francisco endured to open last season. The team played three of its first four on the road, with the only home game against Super Bowl champion New Orleans.

49ers Regular-Season Schedule (All times Eastern)
Week 1: Sunday, Sep. 11, Seattle, 4:15 PM
Week 2: Sunday, Sep. 18, Dallas, 4:05 PM
Week 3: Sunday, Sep. 25, at Cincinnati, 1:00 PM
Week 4: Sunday, Oct. 2, at Philadelphia, 1:00 PM
Week 5: Sunday, Oct. 9, Tampa Bay, 4:05 PM
Week 6: Sunday, Oct. 16, at Detroit, 1:00 PM
Week 7: BYE
Week 8: Sunday, Oct. 30, Cleveland, 4:15 PM
Week 9: Sunday, Nov. 6, at Washington, 1:00 PM
Week 10: Sunday, Nov. 13, NY Giants, 4:15 PM
Week 11: Sunday, Nov. 20, Arizona, 4:05 PM
Week 12: Thursday, Nov. 24, at Baltimore, 8:20 PM
Week 13: Sunday, Dec. 4, St. Louis, 4:15 PM
Week 14: Sunday, Dec. 11, at Arizona, 4:05 PM
Week 15: Monday, Dec. 19, Pittsburgh, 8:30 PM
Week 16: Saturday, Dec. 24, at Seattle, 4:15 PM
Week 17: Sunday, Jan. 1, at St. Louis, 1:00 PM

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
Well, I can't say I didn't expect this after watching some Harbaugh clips on the 9's website etc... it'll be interesting to see how this situation unfolds.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6397375

The 49ers sure have their work cut out for them... can't wait for the draft. Hopefully lightning strikes, and we nab Peterson or Miller.
I don't like Von Miller. He's a one trick pony to me, and to be quite honest, I think that they could try and nab Dontay Moch in the 3rd round, and he could end up developing into a similar palyer as Miller.

I like patrick peterson a lot. Love his skill, actually. One thing concerns about me though. His size. I have a feeling that he will outgrow the CB position in a couple of years and be moved to safety.

I'm hoping against hope that A.J. Green somehow falls in this draft to #7. I think he's the 2nd best player in this draft, after Peterson.

Like I stated a few months ago, if they draft Blaine Gabbert, I'm going to shoot myself

Rollie

Apr 15, 2008
I don't like Von Miller. He's a one trick pony to me, and to be quite honest, I think that they could try and nab Dontay Moch in the 3rd round, and he could end up developing into a similar palyer as Miller.

I like patrick peterson a lot. Love his skill, actually. One thing concerns about me though. His size. I have a feeling that he will outgrow the CB position in a couple of years and be moved to safety.

I'm hoping against hope that A.J. Green somehow falls in this draft to #7. I think he's the 2nd best player in this draft, after Peterson.

Like I stated a few months ago, if they draft Blaine Gabbert, I'm going to shoot myself
What do you think of Julio Jones? I see him sneaking up quite a few mock's, to the Brown's at 6. He seems like quite the physical specimen. We would have an insane attack adding another quality WR. VD & Walker, plus Crab, Green an occasional Morgan sighting and Gore is an absolutely sick arsenal.

Provided we get that QB situation sorted, of course. Just that little detail.

Most of the guys in the draft I haven't really seen play - just trying to gauge quality from clips and write ups. To be honest, with Miller, I just see those sack numbers and that Butkus award and it gets me all tingly. I'm running mostly on hype though, and the warm feeling I get whenever I think of our last Butkus winning draft pick.

Peterson would be my first pick, but like you, it seems as though everyone has him graded as the 1st or 2nd prospect - we'd have to get pretty lucky I guess. Interesting point about the size, a few people mention that. He's just such a specimen... it's crazy.

Anyway, CB and 34 pass rush need some help. Plus we've got that Aubrayo situation to sort out... I don't hear a lot of talk about that, but we could be short one big anchor. Fairley at 7 might be interesting too, considering all the players we've talked about could be off the board by then.

Definitely hoping we don't pick a QB @ 7.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
What do you think of Julio Jones? I see him sneaking up quite a few mock's, to the Brown's at 6. He seems like quite the physical specimen. We would have an insane attack adding another quality WR. VD & Walker, plus Crab, Green an occasional Morgan sighting and Gore is an absolutely sick arsenal.

Provided we get that QB situation sorted, of course. Just that little detail.

Most of the guys in the draft I haven't really seen play - just trying to gauge quality from clips and write ups. To be honest, with Miller, I just see those sack numbers and that Butkus award and it gets me all tingly. I'm running mostly on hype though, and the warm feeling I get whenever I think of our last Butkus winning draft pick.

Peterson would be my first pick, but like you, it seems as though everyone has him graded as the 1st or 2nd prospect - we'd have to get pretty lucky I guess. Interesting point about the size, a few people mention that. He's just such a specimen... it's crazy.

Anyway, CB and 34 pass rush need some help. Plus we've got that Aubrayo situation to sort out... I don't hear a lot of talk about that, but we could be short one big anchor. Fairley at 7 might be interesting too, considering all the players we've talked about could be off the board by then.

Definitely hoping we don't pick a QB @ 7.
I like Julio Jones. I just love A.J. Green a whole lot more.

Here's a good comaprison between two wideouts who used to be on the same team, and their attributes

Julio Jones - Anquan Boldin

A.J. Green- Larry Fitzgerald

I have said this for the last year, that Peterson was the best prospect coming out of this draft. He switched to #2 once I thought that Andrew Luck was coming out, but since he isn't, he is back up to #1 for me.

In regards to Franklin, I think that Ricky Jean-Francois is ready to step in and take over for him. Nick Fairley's body type is not the prototypical size for a NT in a 3-4 defense. (6'4" 285) He would be a hell of a gap DT in a 4-3, but that is not what Vic Fangio uses on defense. He's a 3-4 disciple. Jean-Francois is 6'3" 300 lbs, and fits the mold of the NT better than Fairley does. With the 3-4, it's hard to find a true 3-4 end that can rush the passer. The De's need to be disruptors to allow the LB's to come in on the pass rush

Here is what my dream draft would consist of for Rounds 1-3

1st Round- Patrick Peterson CB LSU

2nd Round- Colin Kaepernick QB- Nevada

3rd Round- Dontay Moch LB Nevada

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
Adam Schefter is stating that if Patrick Peterson is not there at #7, then the 49ers will be trading down.

Apparently, their main target after Peterson is Jake Locker

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 63)