American College Football (5 Viewers)

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
I feel for the kids who are currently there that had nothing to do with this.

There is a question, I'm sure, whether or not the NCAA should have done anything at all, but the definition of "Lack of Institutional Control" was never more prevalent than what happened here.

Jul 10, 2006
The good thing is that all the current and committed football players will be allowed to transfer without penalty, so they will not have to sit out a year.

Penn State football will never be the same and is unlikely to recover from this any time in the next 10 years

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
The good thing is that all the current and committed football players will be allowed to transfer without penalty, so they will not have to sit out a year.

Penn State football will never be the same and is unlikely to recover from this any time in the next 10 years
USC had the same situation a couple of years ago, and 4 or 5 players ended up leaving.

Hopefully the damage will be minimal, but there is a huge difference between being banned and having scholarships reduced by 2 years instead of 4 years.

Jul 10, 2006
USC had the same situation a couple of years ago, and 4 or 5 players ended up leaving.

Hopefully the damage will be minimal, but there is a huge difference between being banned and having scholarships reduced by 2 years instead of 4 years.
This isn't really close to what happened to USC. USC took their two year bowl ban right away but was able to put off its scholarship reduction while serving out the bowl ban to stokepile players. They planned for losing the scholarships and likely will not be hit as hard when the bowl ban is lifted and their scholarship reduction starts, which is this year.

Penn State will not appeal and will accept the bowl ban and the scholarship reduction right away. As I understand it. I think you will see a lot of top players on that team looking for new teams right away since they can transfer without penalty. Starting in the 2014 season PSU will only be allowed to have 65 scholarship players which is twenty short of the currently allowed 85. USC, in contrast will be reduced to 75. That's a pretty big difference. From what I have read, Penn State will not be allowed to have a full set of scholarship players until 2020.

Add to this the $60m fine from the NCAA and the Big Ten taking $13m over the next three or four years, Penn State really got shit hammered. It couldn't have happened to better program.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
This isn't really close to what happened to USC. USC took their two year bowl ban right away but was able to put off its scholarship reduction while serving out the bowl ban to stokepile players. They planned for losing the scholarships and likely will not be hit as hard when the bowl ban is lifted and their scholarship reduction starts, which is this year.

Penn State will not appeal and will accept the bowl ban and the scholarship reduction right away. As I understand it. I think you will see a lot of top players on that team looking for new teams right away since they can transfer without penalty. Starting in the 2014 season PSU will only be allowed to have 65 scholarship players which is twenty short of the currently allowed 85. USC, in contrast will be reduced to 75. That's a pretty big difference. From what I have read, Penn State will not be allowed to have a full set of scholarship players until 2020.

Add to this the $60m fine from the NCAA and the Big Ten taking $13m over the next three or four years, Penn State really got shit hammered. It couldn't have happened to better program.
I'm not saying that it was close to what USC went through. I don't know how you came to that conclusion. All I said was that USC had 4 or 5 players leaving and that was after a ban of only 2 years. I can just imagine how many Penn State players are going to leave after this.

And the funny thing is, even with the scholarship reduction this year, USC has the #1 recruiting class in the counrty as of yesterday :howler:

ALC

Ohaulick
Oct 28, 2010
A little carried away? What should they have done? This is the prime example of "Lack of Institutional Control"
Punishing only the responsible parties for one. We have a new president, new coach, etc. Change out the entire staff if you want. Punishing the students wasn't fair. imo.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
Punishing only the responsible parties for one. We have a new president, new coach, etc. Change out the entire staff if you want. Punishing the students wasn't fair. imo.
USC got punished a couple of years ago for an infraction that Reggie Bush did in 2005, where he set up an agreement with someone with no affiliation to the university to hook his parents up with a house in San Diego. 120 miles away from campus, mind you. None of those players were still there at the time the infractions were sent out and Pete Carroll and the Athletic Director both resigned before the NCAA came down with their findings.

I know it sucks, but there is really nothing that can be done at this point

ALC

Ohaulick
Oct 28, 2010
No one's saying what Sandusky did was right, nor was the cover-up. But the responsible parties weren't the only ones affected by the decision is what I'm getting at.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
It's kind of hard to complain about unfair punishment when you look at it from a neutral perspective. I mean, sure it's unfair that the students gain a stigma and the football players loose out. Unfortunately that's what happens when your school covers up something like this. It's not exactly right, but it's not wrong either.

Jul 10, 2006
I think NCAA got a little carried away there. But it is what it is, PSU is bigger than this. We'll come back stronger.
Are you fucking serious? lol?

---------- Post added 24.07.2012 at 04:45 ----------

The students got punished because they have to watch shitty football for the next few years? lol

no, the students can still get their education, the players can stay or transfer without penalty. The Penn State football program got fucked in the ass, almost, but not quite, like those lil kids got fucked in the ass by Jerry Sandusky while the PSU administration and staff covered it up.

---------- Post added 24.07.2012 at 04:46 ----------

The students aren't being punished. They're still allowed to attend school as far as I know.
Exactly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)