Alvaro Morata - ST - Real Madrid (142 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vlad

In Allegri We Trust
May 23, 2011
That's a non-cash expense and really only drives cash flow via a tax shield. Accounting profit is pretty much irrelevant. On a cash flow basis, the dollar gain or loss only really matters, which I believe isn't that lucrative.
There are other things to consider here then, how will we decide to finance this, on how many installments we have agreed upon with Real; if Real decides to buy him back will they pay the full amount immediately. These things make a difference and I'd say getting 30m in a single installment is better deal than spreading payments, even slightly more lucrative ones, over the larger period of time. Too many uncertainties at this point, we don't even know the basic terms of agreement. Lot of other variables here that we may also consider, how marketable he might turn out to be, jersey sales, number of Spanish fans that we might gain, etc...

Accounting profit is not irrelevant by any means, especially for Juve that aren't likely to break even any time soon. After all, accounting profit has direct impact on our equity, that is likely to reach worrying levels.

Völler

Always spot on
May 6, 2012
so we take all the risk, and then madrid can just get for 15 mil a top player 2 years from now, factor in football inflation, thats about 7-8 mil now, all the while taking 0 risks. While we stand to lose a key player and make about 5 mil profit, where i come from thats called rape :D
:agree:

It makes me mad to see people defend this deal.

fredrik

Aug 7, 2011
so we take all the risk, and then madrid can just get for 15 mil a top player 2 years from now, factor in football inflation, thats about 7-8 mil now, all the while taking 0 risks. While we stand to lose a key player and make about 5 mil profit, where i come from thats called rape :D
I am pretty sure juve dont consider him a risk. No way would this deal come about than. It might not be ideal, but we do get a good player for 2 years, with according to conte wc potential.

italiacalcio10

Mar 3, 2014
There are other things to consider here then, how will we decide to finance this, on how many installments we have agreed upon with Real; if Real decides to buy him back will they pay the full amount immediately. These things make a difference and I'd say getting 30m in a single installment is better deal than spreading payments, even slightly more lucrative ones, over the larger period of time. Too many uncertainties at this point, we don't even know the basic terms of agreement. Lot of other variables here that we may also consider, how marketable he might turn out to be, jersey sales, number of Spanish fans that we might gain, etc...

Accounting profit is not irrelevant by any means, especially for Juve that aren't likely to break even any time soon. After all, accounting profit has direct impact on our equity, that is likely to reach worrying levels.
For example, you build a wireless network, it costs you $10 million, and amortize it over 10 years. You'll recognize $1 million per year in D&A, but that outlay occurs in year one. If revenue is $2 million, cash costs are $1 million and maintenance expenditures (ie: investment) are only $0.2 million, assuming 25% tax rate.

Accounting Profit:
=$2-1-1= 0*(1-.25) = 0

Free Cash Flow
EBIT*(1-T) + D&A - Maintenance Expenditures = ($2-2)*(1-.25) + 1 - 0.2 = $0.8 million

In finance you never rely on accounting earnings because its not real life, its book keeping. In the above case, if you relied on accounting earnings you would come to the conclusion that you had no money to invest in new opportunities. Using Cash Flow, you realize you have $0.8 million.

The same applies for Juventus - I don't care what the accounting profit is, as long as the business is generating cash. There are all sorts of useless non-cash expenses used in accounting practices.

For BV of equity, you perform a dividend recap and suck out all the equity out of a business, but its market value would still be positive. BV of Equity =/= MV of Equity. I would argue in the case of sports businesses, historical earnings don't really matter. The value of live sports has been growing exponentially and regardless of profitability, the value of these businesses has been following suit.

Jul 20, 2012
So according to Mediaset

Juventus want to pay 18m, 16m + 2m in bonuses payable in 4 years, and a 36m buyback clause after 2 years.

Madrid wants 21-22m payable in 4 years, and 23-24m for the buyback clause.

PedroFlu

Sep 20, 2011
WTF is Marotta doing?

22MI on an unproven Spanish youngster who plays as a CF, a position that already has a starter, so he'll be basically a backup.

Unless he can play as an SS/winger or he has good offers for Llorente, this is such an idiotic transfer.

If he fails, we fail. If he succeeds, he'll be worth much more than 30M in 2 years, and Madrid will make great business at our expenses.

This looks like shit.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
WTF is Marotta doing?

22MI on an unproven Spanish youngster who plays as a CF, a position that already has a starter, so he'll be basically a backup.

Unless he can play as an SS/winger or he has good offers for Llorente, this is such an idiotic transfer.

If he fails, we fail. If he succeeds, he'll be worth much more than 30M in 2 years, and Madrid will make great business at our expenses.

This looks like shit.
It certainly looks like a high-risk transfer to me, but I haven't seen an awful lot of Morata.

Depending on what the buy-back figure ends up being, you could certainly argue that the potential reward isn't big enough for the level of risk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 139)