Although i hate him but i think he is better than DP (4 Viewers)

mate

Aug 28, 2002
++ [ originally posted by fred weasley ] ++
i dont know how a comparison rises between DP and Totti,Totti is much better he's the best Italian player now,and one of the best playmakers in the world.
Unfortunately is true... I am not a Totti fan at all but even a blind person knows that at the moment Totti is one of the best players around. Don't know if the best at all (I don't think so) but surely considering just serie A he's there; while Del Piero... guys how many fowards are doing better than Del Piero this year??? In serie A you will find at list 10-15!
There is really no comparison beetwin Totti and Del Piero at the moment...
Than also Del Piero had his moment (1996-1998) but his peack was not so long and if you look just at the current season is foolisch even to compare him with Totti...
To be fans sometimes make the realitity look different...
How can somebody not reconize that Totti can be nasty or everything we want but at the moment unfortunately 4 us he is rocking?

baggio

Jun 3, 2003
Dp at his best is better than Totti at his best. Unfortunately, at this point of time its hard to compare them because totti is going through his peaking phase....while dp (hate to say it) is past it.

Dec 27, 2003
I am lacking time for posting messages in this board at the moment, but since this topic seems to arise so much debate, I will do it anyway.

The Totti/Del Piero dualism is just the unmpteenth remake of previous dualims that have opposed so many players and fans in Italy in the past.

Whenever they are lucky enough to have two world class players in the team at the same time, italians will always try to antagonize them with each other instead of rejoicing for the fact that this is added value for everybody.

The most striking example of this tendency was the rivalry between Bartali and Coppi, the two legendary italian cyclists who won nearly everything on the international scene in the post WW 2 period. It's as if Italy had produced both Eddy Merckx and Lance Armstrong at the same time, and yet the country was bitterly divided between the pro-Bartali and the pro-Coppi camps.

This rule has been repeatedly acknowledged in football as well. Today it is Totti vs Del Piero, but yesterday it was Del Piero vs Baggio, and the day before that Baggio vs Mancini, all the way back to the Mother Of All Duels : Rivera vs Mazzola.

Of course the fact that one played for Inter and the other for Milan may have helped, but it's quite ironic that while brazilian fans didn't bicker much about the pertinence of aligning Gerson, Tostao, Pélé, Rivelino and Jairzinho simultaneously in WC '70, the then italian coach Valcareggi would have been crucified for letting Mazzola and Rivera play together. But then again, he was still crucified by the Rivera supporters for letting the latter enter only 6 minutes from time as a sub for Mazzola in a final that would have seen us demolished by Pélé's Brazil anyway, Rivera or no Rivera.

The Del Piero/Totti controversy bears one big resemblance with the MOAD (Mother Of All Duels) : a lot like Rivera seemed to be under the influence of Mazzola with the NT (except for the 1970 semi where he scored the decisive goal in the legendary 4-3 win over Germany), Del Piero clearly suffers from Totti's leadership in the squadra. However, Mazzola and Rivera were much more similar players than Totti and Del Piero are today, and their coexistence on the pitch would have called for a massive revolution of Valcareggi's catenaccio. This isn't true in the present case : Godot and the Pupone can do well together without stepping over each other's feet, and they could indeed form an impressive attacking trio with Vieri.

As I said however, whereas an in-form Del Piero certainly is an asset for any team, the abundance of strikers that Italy whitnesses at the moment does not make him indispensable. This isn't true for Totti, unless we manage to naturalize Zidane..

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Kaiser Franco ] ++
I am lacking time for posting messages in this board at the moment, but since this topic seems to arise so much debate, I will do it anyway.

The Totti/Del Piero dualism is just the unmpteenth remake of previous dualims that have opposed so many players and fans in Italy in the past.

Whenever they are lucky enough to have two world class players in the team at the same time, italians will always try to antagonize them with each other instead of rejoicing for the fact that this is added value for everybody.

The most striking example of this tendency was the rivalry between Bartali and Coppi, the two legendary italian cyclists who won nearly everything on the international scene in the post WW 2 period. It's as if Italy had produced both Eddy Merckx and Lance Armstrong at the same time, and yet the country was bitterly divided between the pro-Bartali and the pro-Coppi camps.

This rule has been repeatedly acknowledged in football as well. Today it is Totti vs Del Piero, but yesterday it was Del Piero vs Baggio, and the day before that Baggio vs Mancini, all the way back to the Mother Of All Duels : Rivera vs Mazzola.

Of course the fact that one played for Inter and the other for Milan may have helped, but it's quite ironic that while brazilian fans didn't bicker much about the pertinence of aligning Gerson, Tostao, Pélé, Rivelino and Jairzinho simultaneously in WC '70, the then italian coach Valcareggi would have been crucified for letting Mazzola and Rivera play together. But then again, he was still crucified by the Rivera supporters for letting the latter enter only 6 minutes from time as a sub for Mazzola in a final that would have seen us demolished by Pélé's Brazil anyway, Rivera or no Rivera.

The Del Piero/Totti controversy bears one big resemblance with the MOAD (Mother Of All Duels) : a lot like Rivera seemed to be under the influence of Mazzola with the NT (except for the 1970 semi where he scored the decisive goal in the legendary 4-3 win over Germany), Del Piero clearly suffers from Totti's leadership in the squadra. However, Mazzola and Rivera were much more similar players than Totti and Del Piero are today, and their coexistence on the pitch would have called for a massive revolution of Valcareggi's catenaccio. This isn't true in the present case : Godot and the Pupone can do well together without stepping over each other's feet, and they could indeed form an impressive attacking trio with Vieri.

As I said however, whereas an in-form Del Piero certainly is an asset for any team, the abundance of strikers that Italy whitnesses at the moment does not make him indispensable. This isn't true for Totti, unless we manage to naturalize Zidane..
:confused::confused:

anyway,i think that Totti is a much better player than DP,i still cant understand how you can compare both players:groan:

Dec 27, 2003
++ [ originally posted by fred weasley ] ++
:confused::confused:

anyway,i think that Totti is a much better player than DP,i still cant understand how you can compare both players:groan:
Then I suggest you re-read the whole thread, because that's pretty much what we've been doing since message number 1.

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
Good post.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003

Then I suggest you re-read the whole thread, because that's pretty much what we've been doing since message number 1.
Re-read the thread?:eek:get lost i'd rather have your word for it.

LEC

Sep 6, 2002
u cant compare them. but del piero scored 150 goals for juventus and totti scored just arround 80 for roma. so tread closed!

denco

Superior Being
Jul 12, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Zizou ] ++
You can't compare them on goals as Totti is not a forward like DP is.
Yes, but totti has more than in a season played as a forward and he takes most of their free kicks and penalties and has the added bonus of having the whole squad built around his talents and he is not like Rui Costa and Zidane who are quite content with just making goals, part of Totti's job is to score them as well, so you cannot totally rule out the goal count as everyday I hear Totti has scored oh so many goals even in an injury hit season

LEC

Sep 6, 2002
++ [ originally posted by denco ] ++
Yes, but totti has more than in a season played as a forward and he takes most of their free kicks and penalties and has the added bonus of having the whole squad built around his talents and he is not like Rui Costa and Zidane who are quite content with just making goals, part of Totti's job is to score them as well, so you cannot totally rule out the goal count as everyday I hear Totti has scored oh so many goals even in an injury hit season
yap

Zizou

Apr 21, 2003
Yeah of course but the most that Totti has scored in Serie A in a season was 11 goals (this year he will probably break the record considering he already has 10 goals).

Totti and DP can play together as they have different characteristics so I don't really like to compare players who play in different role. Give me a Totti and Zizou comparision :D

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
++ [ originally posted by LEC ] ++
u cant compare them. but del piero scored 150 goals for juventus and totti scored just arround 80 for roma. so tread closed!
oh yea,then Zalayeta is better than Maldidni cuz he's got more goals:D

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Zizou ] ++
Yeah of course but the most that Totti has scored in Serie A in a season was 11 goals (this year he will probably break the record considering he already has 10 goals).

Totti and DP can play together as they have different characteristics so I don't really like to compare players who play in different role. Give me a Totti and Zizou comparision :D
man thats like comparing Cagliari and juve..:groan:
but anyway no question at all Zizou is the best player in this generation of players without any competetion.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)