Alex Sandro (30 Viewers)

s4tch

Mar 23, 2015
He's a disaster
since evra left, he covered 99% of the left back duties at juventus. a crippled asamoah, a crippled spinazzola and a crippled mds made sure he never gets a rest. also, a crippled sports director made sure that pellegrini was loaned out for this season, and sandro was left alone completely. it's only natural that it was his weakest season, still, he's the least of our problems.

that said, if we could replace him with gosens and bring pellegrini back, i wouldn't be opposed to selling sandro. but he's been a good soldier throughout the years.

piotrr

Мodеrator
Sep 13, 2011
since evra left, he covered 99% of the left back duties at juventus. a crippled asamoah, a crippled spinazzola and a crippled mds made sure he never gets a rest. also, a crippled sports director made sure that pellegrini was loaned out for this season, and sandro was left alone completely. it's only natural that it was his weakest season, still, he's the least of our problems.

that said, if we could replace him with gosens and bring pellegrini back, i wouldn't be opposed to selling sandro. but he's been a good soldier throughout the years.
It might look like we're overusing him, but look at his minutes on the pitch. The season when he had to play most was 3416 minutes in 16/17.
Now compare it with Marcelo: 4239 in 10/11, 3540 in 11/12, 4168 in 14/15, 3878 in 16/17, 3671 in 17/18.

s4tch

Mar 23, 2015
It might look like we're overusing him, but look at his minutes on the pitch. The season when he had to play most was 3416 minutes in 16/17.
Now compare it with Marcelo: 4239 in 10/11, 3540 in 11/12, 4168 in 14/15, 3878 in 16/17, 3671 in 17/18.
marcelo being an alien doesn't make sandro look worse. also, real usually had a longer season than juventus, with all the club world cup, long cl campaigns, etc. iirc ronaldo used to play even more than marcelo, but he can't be used as a benchmark for all players.

this season the only rest sandro had was because of injuries. he even played through injury, just look at him vs milan, that panic sub was way too early for his condition. he's playing non-stop, no two ways about it.

Alin

FINO ALLA FINE!
Jul 27, 2015
Least of our problems right now, and yes he’s been overused, and not just this season.

Also, just as an reminder for his ‘inability to cross’ and the ‘disaster’ of a season some claim he has had based on the last few games, may i remember you that 2 of our TOP 5 goals this season have been scored from his long-passes/crosses? CR7 high-jump header vs Sampdoria and Dybala’s exquisite volley both came from Alex Sandro’s assists so i really don’t get this notion of him being incapable to cross, he might not be the best at it but definitely isn’t as bad as some make it seem like.

Overall he’s had a solid but rather inconsistent season, however that’s pretty much on the same note as the rest of the team.

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
Top players are top players, even when they play a lot, play through pain, or rushed on as subs in panicked moments and always find a way to produce. Sandro has not for years now offered any kind of consistency. Sell now while he has some value and before he runs out his contract.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
I think the issue with his crossing is threefold;

- Ronaldo plays from that side, so he cannot commit himself forward as much as he did with Mandzukic
- We lack a quality midfielder such as Pogba to hold and distribute the ball quickly from that LCM area into LW space, although Rabiot has improved that recently
- He doesn't have very good acceleration to create a yard to cross the ball, and this has been highlighted even more so with his tiredness

Often when he gets the ball it's in a static position with a right back and supporting defender ready to block, so he looks for the ball back inside. Some left backs in this area will still attempt a cross from this position, thinking that the worst case scenario will be a corner, but he plays a lot more measured than that, especially since Ronaldo arrived. Sarri is not a coach that wants the ball just being fired into the box, a cross has to have purpose.

PedroFlu

Sep 20, 2011
If he had a heart, he'd be a legendary LB. Shame.

He's been "the least of our problems" for 3 years now, and it will remain that way. Have too many holes to fill in before thinking about replacing him. Fullbacks at this level are really hard to find. I'd probably give him another year.

K.O.

Nov 24, 2005
What is wrong with this fellow? He's always been a bit unproductive offensively but now he's awful in defense as well. Their goal and a few other chances came from his side leaving the wide man take all the time he needed to find a cross or even juggle the ball. It's not like he was way up the field either.

Boksic

May 11, 2005
What is wrong with this fellow? He's always been a bit unproductive offensively but now he's awful in defense as well. Their goal and a few other chances came from his side leaving the wide man take all the time he needed to find a cross or even juggle the ball. It's not like he was way up the field either.
He came out to close down the man inside because our midfield left him completely free. It imbalanced us and caused them to have a spare man out wide.

But I agree he is off form. I think he has struggled since his knee injury and should have been rested.

Oct 23, 2011
Not trying to justify his shit performances as of late, but it's funny how other players get a pass for being "gassed" or "tired" but this guy gets criticized constantly while he is one of the players that clearly needs a rest. Having said that, it's been going downhill since a couple of years now but we clearly don't have the budget to fill the holes we have in the squad and get a new LB (couldn't even think of who would be available?) But as said above, next year should be his last if he continues like this.

duranfj

Jul 30, 2015
My opinion on him back in 2015.

He proved me wrong for half a season only.

And I insist, he is not even half the player Asamoah was for us.
Last two season he's underperforming but there's not way you can make a case against him by just bring up Asamoah... First two campaign of AS here had more football on it that Asamoah since he started to kick a ball back in africa

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
Last two season he's underperforming but there's not way you can make a case against him by just bring up Asamoah... First two campaign of AS here had more football on it that Asamoah since he started to kick a ball back in africa
Actually I can. It's my opinion and I believe that Asamoah gave to the team way more. Alex Sandro during his second season he was immense and a much better player than Asamoah. I am talking about the sum of all matches.

MrMonkey

Jul 15, 2017
Know this guy has great talent but I ask again, has Alex ever made even a simple 5 yard pass with his right foot? He does know other teams scout you and just maybe a pass or two from the right might make the opponents not believe, I mean know 110% of the time it's coming from the left. I mean there's those spilt second times where maybe a right footed pass gets to an open man faster.

Alex didn't need all these minutes tonight!

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
Know this guy has great talent but I ask again, has Alex ever made even a simple 5 yard pass with his right foot? He does know other teams scout you and just maybe a pass or two from the right might make the opponents not believe, I mean know 110% of the time it's coming from the left. I mean there's those spilt second times where maybe a right footed pass gets to an open man faster.

Alex didn't need all these minutes tonight!
That he's exhausted is an argument but a bigger argument is that he totally lacks football intelligence.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 6, Guests: 16)