Album review: Born to reign (1 Viewer)

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
As a big fan, there was a lot of excitement involved at the release of Will Smith's new album. Last time I ordered "Willennium" online just to get it before they got it in the stores (it did take like 3 weeks to ship it so the plan was no good but that's another story). And this year I picked up "Born to reign" in a FNAC in Paris, I had heard clips from all the songs beforehand and it looked like good stuff.

But as I now compare it to his previous work, it just doesn't fly. You have the typical selection of a few hit songs, the main track "Black suits comin" is great. "I gotta go home" and "Born to reign" follow that path but unfortunately you will find some weak stuff, like "Give me tonite" and "Willow is a player". Will doesn't have enough material to do 13 Willie style hits so the rest of the album is unpredictable and in this case a bit disappointing.

I'm sorry to say your money is better spent on Bryan Adams' "Spirit" which is really good IMO.

And here's a song by song review, legend...
+ good stuff
x waste of time
? not too bad, not too great

01. Born to reign +
02. Act like you know x
03. I can't stop ?
04. Jaden's interlude
05. 1,000 kisses +
06. Willow is a player x
07. Black suits comin +
08. How da beat goes ?
09. Block party x
10. Give me tonite x
11. I gotta go home + (latino people check it out :D)
12. Maybe +
13. Nod ya head (remix) +
14. Momma knows x

Buy on AliExpress.com

paulo

Aug 14, 2002
I listened a lot to his albums: "Big Willie Style", "Willenium" and "Born to reign", and I agree with you guys and think his latest album is worse than his previous ones. Simply, I don't like the new style he has in his new album. His previous albums contained cool beats and great lyrics, while this one has a kind of a amateur chorous in the background all the time, and the music itself isn't anything special. Hits like Black suits comin and Born to reign are great, but the rest is like Alex said, a waste of time.

But as a fan of Will, I love his sence of humour and I respect him as an actor and rapper. Many people don't understand his sence of humour and his style of being himself, that's why they don't respect him. But I think he's the best rapper at the moment and also he's one of my favourite actors.:cool:

Nekton

Oct 22, 2001
Hmm....

----------------------paulo---------|----------Martin
nationality-------- poland------- |-----------poland
location------------trondheim----|-------trondheim
other teams------madrid--------|---------madrid(among others)
Favorite players-Del Piero,
Raul, Zidane-------------------------|--Del Piero, Raul, Zidane(among others)

You both like Will Smith...

You must be brothers...?

vitoria_Ally

Jul 14, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Nekton ] ++
Hmm....

----------------------paulo---------|----------Martin
nationality-------- poland------- |-----------poland
location------------trondheim----|-------trondheim
other teams------madrid--------|---------madrid(among others)
Favorite players-Del Piero,
Raul, Zidane-------------------------|--Del Piero, Raul, Zidane(among others)

You both like Will Smith...

You must be brothers...?
Maybe alter-ego? ;) :D

Sep 3, 2002
++ [ originally posted by paulo ] ++ But I think he's the best rapper at the moment
I'm sorry, but as a true hip-hop fan this offends me deeply and I arrive at the conclusion that u don't know about hip-hop very well. Born To Reign is poor. If u want to hear something good then pick up his ex-colleague Jazzy Jeff's cd "Magnificent" Wil went downhill in rap when he went solo. Jazz is the man, he makes real hip-hop.
As far as acting and comedy go, Will Smith is a fantastic actor and very funny.
I have nothing against him making music because his style is needed, especially for kids who don't need to be listening to a lot of hip-hop that's around but as far as saying he's one of the best rappers at the moment, that's offending me and my whole culture.

Rant over. Sorry.

Sep 3, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Alex ] ++
Hehe, can't say I'm too crazy about "real" hip hop... :D
Okay, just for fun, I'll put in a way u'll understand better...

It's like a non-football fan saying "I think Inzaghi is one of the best players in the world right now.
No, he's not the one of the best, he was good, but mainly because of Del Piero (Jazzy Jeff) his DJ, if u will.

:D
lol

OP
Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #19
    ++ [ originally posted by Nino.Brown ] ++
    Okay, just for fun, I'll put in a way u'll understand better...

It's like a non-football fan saying "I think Inzaghi is one of the best players in the world right now.
    No, he's not the one of the best, he was good, but mainly because of Del Piero (Jazzy Jeff) his DJ, if u will.

:D
    lol
    You don't have to explain that to me, I didn't say Will is the best rapper. Even though he is ;):D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)