Alberto Masi (2 Viewers)

Pirlo's Beard

Junkie Joe Joyce
Oct 2, 2013
So far those movements have helped us. We made more money than we spend through selling Gabbiadini and Immobile, we killed any chance that any other club could get Berardi or Zaza and besides them also Rugani will return after a very successful "loan" spell, potentially as a NT player. If we just would loan them out, the other club wouldn't have any incentive to play them regurarly, they only would be used for depth (unless they are fantastic from the get go, which only few are).

There is a 99,8% chance that we never will buy Masi back for 4 million because he is doomed to be mediocre at best for his whole career. But in the unlikely case he makes major improvements we then can buy him and either sell him for more, use him as a trade-tool in negotiations or keep him. There is no downside.

Overall i don't get the critic of our policy and how we deal with talents. We do it better than other clubs. We gain something financially (Morata wouldn't be here without selling Immobile) or we gain from having them, not now, but certainly Berardi and Rugani at least will be good to have in the squad.
But going by our track record with youth, we flat out suck at developing them. Which imo has to be partially due to us throwing them left, right and center throughout the lower divisions constantly. The fact we spent years fucking around with the likes of Gabbiadini only to make a tiny profit and help clubs like Napoli out just baffles me. Obviously plenty of youngsters amount to nothing, but as far as Juve goes, we're pretty amazing at buying up prospects, juggling them around in oblivion for years then calling quits on them.

- - - Updated - - -

Why is P'b panicking then?
This isn't about Masi in an isolated case, this is about Masi being one of the many who we waste time on, and lose them in a never ending shuffle of co-owns, buy backs and booting them to multiple clubs in lower divisions who won't help them at all.

Pirlo's Beard

Junkie Joe Joyce
Oct 2, 2013
Which in its self is annoying, it's not like we're churning out quality young players and we evidently can't afford the finished product so you'd think we'd put a bit more effort in to dealing with young players that could actually come through our system and help us, and not playing swapsies with a bunch of irrelevant clubs for more irrelevant youngsters we barely even rate.

The Curr

Feb 3, 2007
Very few big clubs have more homegrown players in their first team squad than Juve (apart from Barcelona who got a transfer ban for the way they run their youth academy).

Pirlo's Beard

Junkie Joe Joyce
Oct 2, 2013
The only one we ever use is Marchisio, though. And that's my point, we're not a mega rich club and our own owners don't shut up about financial limitations in Serie A so we should put a lot more effort in to dealing with young players. Yet all I see every season is buying quantity young players, and slowly dispersing them around Serie B on co-ownership deals that eventually turn in to sales/swaps.

Masi is just one of God knows how many cases like this we've seen multiple times over.

The Curr

Feb 3, 2007
atalanta produce quite a lot, one of the BT pundits pointed out that they produce more home grown players than any club in europe
I said big clubs. Compare us to the other 15 clubs still in the CL for example.

The only one we ever use is Marchisio, though. And that's my point, we're not a mega rich club and our own owners don't shut up about financial limitations in Serie A so we should put a lot more effort in to dealing with young players. Yet all I see every season is buying quantity young players, and slowly dispersing them around Serie B on co-ownership deals that eventually turn in to sales/swaps.
I didn't say we're doing particularly well, I just think we're not doing any worse than most.

Oggy

and the Cockroaches
Dec 27, 2005
I don't see problem here, Marchisio and Gio were loaned and after good season they came back and played for us, the same thing is happening with Rugani. If those youngsters were any good they would stay with us. It's not like we sent them to a third world country to be slaves.

We are trying to sign as many as we can, but also we don't know how many of them will turn good. Masi was promising, but than he had a knee injury and vanished, so it was logical to give up on him for now, and focus on a player that might have better potential. We are betting on youngsters in hope that we will win one of those bets, but let's be real and acknowledge that it's impossible to predict development of the players. Remember Matteo Ferrari, Bonera and few other from Parma, they were the next big thing and all of them turned to be shit. I highly doubt that if they came through our system or Roma's or anyone else they would be any better than they are.

Bianconero_Aus

Beppe Marotta Is My God
May 26, 2009
I don't see problem here, Marchisio and Gio were loaned and after good season they came back and played for us, the same thing is happening with Rugani. If those youngsters were any good they would stay with us. It's not like we sent them to a third world country to be slaves.

We are trying to sign as many as we can, but also we don't know how many of them will turn good. Masi was promising, but than he had a knee injury and vanished, so it was logical to give up on him for now, and focus on a player that might have better potential. We are betting on youngsters in hope that we will win one of those bets, but let's be real and acknowledge that it's impossible to predict development of the players. Remember Matteo Ferrari, Bonera and few other from Parma, they were the next big thing and all of them turned to be shit. I highly doubt that if they came through our system or Roma's or anyone else they would be any better than they are.
:tup: preach

Roman

-'Tuz Fantasy Master-
Apr 19, 2003

Well said,there are enough examples of players who did well in other Serie-A/B clubs AND were good in big clubs as well.
And ofcourse there enough and more examples of the opposite.

Nice deal,If Masi ever to become good we'll buy him for only 4M,if not that's fine.
By the time,we got ourselves a good young GK,who will continue to play in other clubs to play regularly and we'll keep an eye on him.

:tup:

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
:p yeah but Marchisio came back when he was 23yo. I'm not implying that he's old but it's generally a problem in Serie A that coaches don't put much trust into youngsters and that's a pity and a pretty big step backwards.

Oggy

and the Cockroaches
Dec 27, 2005
:p yeah but Marchisio came back when he was 23yo. I'm not implying that he's old but it's generally a problem in Serie A that coaches don't put much trust into youngsters and that's a pity and a pretty big step backwards.
Well I'm not denying the fact that Italians are more conservative when it comes to youngsters, and most of the coaches would rather play an experienced player instead. But these will have to change, especially now when there is no money, but also mentality plays big par, because everyone wants immediate results instead of long term project. Maybe only us and Roma are trying to find those young guns and slowly introduce them to the team.

Also if you look at other leagues, there is not so much difference, except they have more talented players, but that's due better regulations and "B" teams where 17yrs old prospect can train for let's say Castilla (Real Madrid B), and still play against professional teams in segunda division that are fighting for promotion, they kinda took the best of both worlds (best possible training and facilities, and tough games). And if you add to that German model, mandatory investment in youth and you get the results.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)