Alberto Aquilani (5 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

white_rabbit

Apr 9, 2006
You must be joking.

Roma ain't that stupid.
Its not about their intelligence roma. there are at least two reasons for them to sell aquilani:

1- roma (or at least the owners) is in huge debt andthey need the cash.
2- roma already gave de rossi an improved contract but didnt do the same with aquilani.

I really do not see that this transfer is far from happening.

Nenz

Apr 17, 2008
i just checked out aquilani vids for like 45 minutes... how good is he really? he looks like a goal sneak just chipping the keeper off his line not awesome dribbling or passing either hmmmm

Rollie

Apr 15, 2008
Hey everyone - like the site - my first time posting here...

I'm curious - How much do you people think that Aquilani would be worth on the market?

White Rabbit, there is absolutely no way Roma would even consider the offer you put forth. In fact, I have a feeling that you could basically double the cash to 20M Euros + Tiago, and they would probably still reject the offer - Tiago's stock isn't exactly booming at the moment. Roma does need an injection of cash, a midfielder/winger (or 2? - sounds like giuly/mancini are on the outs), and a striker. If Aquilani goes, it would certainly be for a ridiculous amount, as there would be plenty of teams interested in his services - someone would overpay. Roma would be looking to cash in - I'm thinking likely between 25-30M. Quite frankly, I don't think he's going anywhere - he and De Rossi are homegrown, and the future of that team. On the other hand, if the contract negotiations hit an impasse, Roma might find an offer of about 18M Euros + Iaquinta enticing... of course, unless I'm missing something, there is really no way our team could currently afford that figure while simultaneously diminishing the strike force. I actually really like Iaquinta and I'm glad it sounds like he's staying. I really hope that that board finds a way to pry Alonso away from Liverpool...

OP
HelterSkelter

HelterSkelter

Apr 15, 2005
  • Thread Starter #807
    Welcome to the forums.

And coming to your question,your estimate is pretty correct.25-30m is what Roma would ask for him.I think 18m+Iaquinta is something that Spaletti would take.but wether the Roma board accepts it is another issue.

only-juve

Jan 5, 2008
    Welcome to the forums.

And coming to your question,your estimate is pretty correct.25-30m is what Roma would ask for him.I think 18m+Iaquinta is something that Spaletti would take.but wether the Roma board accepts it is another issue.
    Hope our board not too stupid to offer roma 18 mil + iaquinta thats a totall of 29 mil :crazy: , liverpool wants 20 mil for alonso who's currently is bitter than aquilani. Aquilani has the potential but he wasn't consistant in the past seasons........

vimo

Apr 1, 2006
    This discussion is pretty inappropriate in my eyes, for i don't think we can make anything to get aquilani away from rome. Iaquinta won't leave for sure now (have you read the interviews from pinzolo? NOW it's impossible for him to leave; he said, like, 100 times, how attached he is to this shirt. I bet he wouldn't have been told to say something like that if he were to leave)
    There is only one person in the world who could make the aquilani-deal possible and that is aquilani himself. It all depends on him; if he really is the roma fanboy everyone expects him to be, well then he'll renew sooner or later, and he's trying to make the best out of it to gain those few extra bucks.

If, however, he's tired of salary caps and no big signings, well then we have a chance, and we have a chance for a pretty 'reasonable' sum i'd say. His contract will run out sooner or later, and i'm pretty sure that roma want to renew or get rid of him NOW. They can't afford to lose a 20-million-man in 2 or 3 years for nothing (don't know how long his contract goes)

All this complications are the reason why every deal is stalling at the moment. WE are waiting for a response of aquilani and therefore don't sign xabi,
    AQUILANI is waiting for Roma to make a higher bid,
    ROMA are waiting for us to sign Xabi (because if we're out of the race, then aquilani will have to accept the deal roma puts forward

See the problem? everyone's waiting for a deal to conclude. In my opinion, it will go the following way; before the end of this week, there will be another talk, and in the end, we'll go for xabi. Then Aquilani will renew with roma stating something like 'I'm a romanista, i never wanted to leave, it was all just media'. Then Stankovic will say something like 'I wanted to stay at inter anyways' (hoping that mourinho will not completey ignore him for the next 4 seasons) and poulsen will stay wherever he is because he's never really been an option. Then Liverpool will sign Barry for the exact same amount that we paid them for xabi; Everyone will be happy, and we'll have one hell of a midfield...
    mark my words... :)

Rollie

Apr 15, 2008
    I agree that the offer of 18M + Iaquinta should be considered excessive at this point in time (given Aquilani's current productivity). Furthermore, that is a solution that is not realistic or feasible under the current budget constraints. I mentioned that specific combination because I believe that is the type of offer it would take to pry Aquilani away from Roma. As I mentioned previously, someone will end up overpaying if they truly desire Aquilani - I've heard both Calderon and Wenger (amongst many others) offer substantial praise for the lad. He is, without a doubt, rated by quite a few of Europe's elite teams...

That being said, I am a firm believer that by the end of this coming season, Alberto Aquilani will be fundamental for Roma and firmly entrenched as first choice in their midfield (a no brainer) - ahead of Pizarro, which often wasn't the case after his injury - and that he'll be vastly improved, relative to his form of the past season. If we had more money, and Roma was willing to sell the player, it would be a move worth considering. Between inflation and his development, a figure of approximately 30M euros could end up looking quite reasonable in 2-3 years time. Someone get out the crystal ball...

The simple fact is that anyone who wishes to purchase Aquilani obviously must incorporate his potential into the final equation; potential can certainly be a dangerous variable, but Aquilani's ability is widely recognized. Obviously, his status as a member of the Azzurri, and his age (24 as of today) are highly appealing factors for potential suitors (esp. those in Calcio)...

I'm looking forward to seeing how our youths respond this coming term - Juventus is clearly laden with potential that really does need to be given a chance to develop. That being said, I would REALLY like to see Alonso added to this squad - even if it means less time for Marchisio. We need an injection of creativity in the midfield - Xabi is also defensively sound, has had the experience of winning major competitions, and would generally be a steadying influence for the team, over the course of a very busy season.

Rollie

Apr 15, 2008
    Nice post Vimo - I definitely agree with most of what you've written, and sincerely hope that the Xabi signing works out exactly as you described...

Clearly Liverpool's extremely slow negotiations with Villa are what is holding up the Xabi signing - Rafa is playing hardball (I can't believe the outrageous figures I've read associated with Barry's transfer). I don't think that the board actually believes that they have a legitimate shot of nabbing Aquilani at this point in time. I also think that Ranieri's comments about Stankovic are largely posturing (although I'm sure he does admire the player...) - maybe an attempt to force Rafa into making a move...?

vimo

Apr 1, 2006
    Exactly; Well put rollie, i already start to like your posts (welcome btw) :)
    Media linking us with a whole lot of midfielders right now is just the usual business. One the one hand, stalling negotiations are just useless for the media, so they're making up their so-called alternatives, and that's when headlines like 'Juve turn away from xabi' come to surface. I'd say don't give it too much attention.
    On the other hand, our board is happy we're linked with other players and that's why cobolli and secco are not denying anything. By saying that we have alternatives, we put pool under pressure. It's just the usual everyday calciomercato business going on in my opinion.

I'm pretty sure once ONE deal goes through (be it barry to pool, xabi to juve or aquilani renewing), the others will follow instantly. the only thing that worries me is this barry-deal. I don't know the player that well, but imo, those 18 mio are way too much for a barry - i don't see how he's the same value as a xabi alonso (except that barry maybe is more of a LM/CM) and i hope liverpool don't start to include xabi again into their squad.

Brixity

Feb 8, 2006
    l. I don't know the player that well, but imo, those 18 mio are way too much for a barry - i don't see how he's the same value as a xabi alonso (except that barry maybe is more of a LM/CM) and i hope liverpool don't start to include xabi again into their squad.
    Hes English

vimo

Apr 1, 2006
    So you mean with that regulation of having X national players in a team? What happened to that rule? Is it going to be like that? Haven't there been objections from the EU or something?
    Or do you just want to say that English players are overrated in general? Either way, you could be right :)
    Mascherano dominates the pool midfield anyway right now, i don't see where xabi could possibly play any role for them. Barry might move a bit more out left so that he can play along with mascherano. mascherano and Xabi are too similar and too strong/expensive to be a back-up.
    But i know too little to make a fair conclusion.

Let's all hope for the best. I expect a deal to go through by this week, because i doubt ranieri wants to wait any longer to get his team assembled, remember that we have a CL-Qualification to prepare.

Rollie

Apr 15, 2008
    Salman, lets brush, Vimo...

Thanks for the welcome... the juventus talk is good stuff. Catch you on the different threads...

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)