AI - Artificial intelligence (4 Viewers)

Jun 16, 2020
As the future is knocking on the door I think it’s time to open a AI thread. I’ve been listening to a bunch of interviews of developers lately, and although the benefits are undeniable the fact that we’ll face an intelligence greater than humans probably this decade already is quite scary. The fact that it will surpass human intelligence by an incredible amount of times within our lifetime gives me chills, although obviously there’s a massive upside with great developments in health care, science and other domains, there are many ethical questions to debate about in the future.

I’ll post a interview with Yuval Noah Harari and Mustafa Suleyman where Harari as a historian is, in my opinion, on point explaining the possible risks for humanity, where at the other side developers like Suleyman or Kurzweil seem to overlook the negative or unethical things a bit and primarily look to the positives.

Than there’s the point of possibly reaching a technological singularity, according to Kurzweil with current developments it could be as early as 2045. Wiki link for explanation: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technological_singularity

Buy on AliExpress.com

ALC

Ohaulick
Oct 28, 2010
I think it’s overrated. Calculators are AI as well and they haven’t caused grief for humanity.
At the end of the day, saying it’ll be more intelligent than humans, is a lack of understanding of intelligence. AI will simply be an algorithm, although self learning, still an algorithm.

we can control it, unplug it, modify if, etc etc. it’s just another tool at our disposal. How it ends up changing the professional or entertainment landscape is up to regulators honestly. Whether that’s a regulating body or the market itself

but people need to understand what it really is and not just get carried away on the hype while acting like robot overlords are finally here.

Ronn

#TeamPestoFlies
May 3, 2012
Training AI models need extraordinary amounts of energy, so these models will depend on their human overlords for some time.

OP
U Picciriddu
Jun 16, 2020
  • Thread Starter #4
    I think it’s overrated. Calculators are AI as well and they haven’t caused grief for humanity.
    At the end of the day, saying it’ll be more intelligent than humans, is a lack of understanding of intelligence. AI will simply be an algorithm, although self learning, still an algorithm.

we can control it, unplug it, modify if, etc etc. it’s just another tool at our disposal. How it ends up changing the professional or entertainment landscape is up to regulators honestly. Whether that’s a regulating body or the market itself

but people need to understand what it really is and not just get carried away on the hype while acting like robot overlords are finally here.
    I think there are really nuances you’re overlooking here and we have to keep in mind that the language models we have at our disposal today are still baby versions of what AI could potentially become, although the paradox here might be that nobody knows what intelligence of (way) above human intelligence actually looks like. The autonomy and self learning capabilities really puts it aside from normal technology. Politics have to keep up.

Dino_mk

Sep 5, 2007

Maybe your view is semi accurate for now but in the future how many of your points will be irrelevant.
    calculators are not AI.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
    Administrator
    May 27, 2007

You have to realize that this will bring a revolution. So many jobs will simply vanish because AI will do either equal or better job than people in so many fields.

Companies are heavily investing and long term they will surely cut lost but cutting the people.

I don't see much future when it comes to content writers, proof readers, designers, hell, even programmers. But that's where the list only expands. I'm not really about doom and gloom here but I do believe that companies in the next 5-10 years will look totally different and bunch of low-mid level jobs will disappear.

And yeah, not a huge fan personally.

ALC

Ohaulick
    Oct 28, 2010
    You have to realize that this will bring a revolution. So many jobs will simply vanish because AI will do either equal or better job than people in so many fields.

Companies are heavily investing and long term they will surely cut lost but cutting the people.

I don't see much future when it comes to content writers, proof readers, designers, hell, even programmers. But that's where the list only expands. I'm not really about doom and gloom here but I do believe that companies in the next 5-10 years will look totally different and bunch of low-mid level jobs will disappear.

they said CGI would cut jobs, Microsoft office would cut jobs, cars would cut jobs, etc.

For example, there were people whose job was to create charts for meetings and presentations. Now anyone can do that in minutes but we just make more and that job has turned into different responsibilities. Same with book and newspaper publishing.

So far in history, we just find ways to make more work and have people work harder. The more efficient we’ve gotten, the more work there is.

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe your view is semi accurate for now but in the future how many of your points will be irrelevant.
    calculators are not AI.
    depends on if you think what is out there now is actual AI. It’s algorithms responding to your input. I know it will get more advanced, but I think the real application will be supercomputing and its ability to see trends without us asking it to.

other than that, it’s a glorified algorithm.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
    Administrator
    May 27, 2007
    they said CGI would cut jobs, Microsoft office would cut jobs, cars would cut jobs, etc.

For example, there were people whose job was to create charts for meetings and presentations. Now anyone can do that in minutes but we just make more and that job has turned into different responsibilities. Same with book and newspaper publishing.

So far in history, we just find ways to make more work and have people work harder. The more efficient we’ve gotten, the more work there is.
    In all honesty in this case I see plenty of jobs as redundant simply because AI is already better than so many people. And it just started.

In a company where I work we have ~150 employees. We could easily get rid of at least 50 people and I'm not even exaggerating.

CS answering chats and stuff? Way too many mistakes, way too slow compared to the AI.

I'm not even underrating humans. There might be some new job openings, something new and extra, but then again if low-mid level jobs get butchered I don't see those individuals (mediocrity?) being capable of handling higher positions.

ALC

Ohaulick
    Oct 28, 2010
    In all honesty in this case I see plenty of jobs as redundant simply because AI is already better than so many people. And it just started.

In a company where I work we have ~150 employees. We could easily get rid of at least 50 people and I'm not even exaggerating.

CS answering chats and stuff? Way too many mistakes, way too slow compared to the AI.

I'm not even underrating humans. There might be some new job openings, something new and extra, but then again if low-mid level jobs get butchered I don't see those individuals (mediocrity?) being capable of handling higher positions.
    i think it’ll lead to a recalibration of expectations for people. More trade schools for example, compared to getting degrees to work a job that doesn’t require one. More in house production for every country instead of farming all production out to other countries, etc.

OP
    U Picciriddu
    Jun 16, 2020
  • Thread Starter #10

I’m not stressing too much about jobs, we already lived trough a automatisation proces, compare factory jobs now to the factories decades ago. I think that we heard more or less the same concerns about jobs back then. Unless it’s your field of work than I understand.

Personally I can’t get my head around the developments over the next decades, with as said before AI smarter than humans. It might lead us to massive break troughs in all kinds of scientific field or it will backfire quite hard and become a destructive self-fulfilling prophecy. I recommend reading the Wikipedia page I shared. There’s one part in particular that’s insane:

The possibility of an intelligence explosion depends on three factors.[41] The first accelerating factor is the new intelligence enhancements made possible by each previous improvement. Contrariwise, as the intelligences become more advanced, further advances will become more and more complicated, possibly outweighing the advantage of increased intelligence. Each improvement should generate at least one more improvement, on average, for movement towards singularity to continue. Finally, the laws of physics may eventually prevent further improvement.

Ronn

#TeamPestoFlies
    May 3, 2012
    AI is the new internet it will absolutely revolutionize everything, imo we will surely have an AI boom as soon as we have more sophisticated tools to scale infrastructure

This. Real reason behind the push in the US to restrict China’s access to technology and expanding semiconductor manufacturing.

Ronn

#TeamPestoFlies
    May 3, 2012
    My friend sent me this a few months ago. I think we're safe for now :disagree:

1000005150.png
    I tried ChatGPT for some work related calculations and it failed miserably. I realized that it understood the concept correctly but couldn’t calculate a simple equation. I tried this just now:
    IMG_3171.jpeg

The result it gave me is obviously incorrect, but the bad news is it’s probably not that difficult to fix this issue.

AFL_ITALIA

MAGISTERIAL
    Jun 17, 2011
    I tried ChatGPT for some work related calculations and it failed miserably. I realized that it understood the concept correctly but couldn’t calculate a simple equation. I tried this just now:
    IMG_3171.jpeg

The result it gave me is obviously incorrect, but the bad news is it’s probably not that difficult to fix this issue.
    I would expect simple calculations to work immediately. But beyond that these things constantly just make things up for whatever reason. My team lead sent me this. He sent the first image, then copied and pasted a list and asked it to compare them, I didn't include that in the screenshots.

1000005152.png

1000005153.png

"As I mentioned," where did you mention anything??

Ronn

#TeamPestoFlies
    May 3, 2012
    I would expect simple calculations to work immediately. But beyond that these things constantly just make things up for whatever reason. My team lead sent me this. He sent the first image, then copied and pasted a list and asked it to compare them, I didn't include that in the screenshots.

1000005152.png

1000005153.png

"As I mentioned," where did you mention anything??
    My understating (from dabbling into language models 5 years ago) is that it’s a complex word vector model with enormous amount of data fed to it. So it may not be able to say “I don’t know” because that kind if response was not repeated with a high frequency in its training set.
    But it’s evolving fast. Language models 5 years ago were just Amazon crunching reviews to find out whether it’s positive or negative. They came a very long way. With the amount of money being thrown into it it’s going to evolve even faster.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)