Adrien Rabiot (58 Viewers)

renew?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Rockets

Jul 26, 2022
It shows the best dribble success rates in Europe's top 5 leagues in 2021/2022. What's deceiving or misleading about that?
Because high dribble success rate should indicate that a player is good at dribbling, but I don't think most of the players on the list can be labelled as good dribbler. They are mostly DM and CM, some even play as CB. Traore is the only winger there. I believe dribbling stats of wingers/forwards should be treated differently from those of DM/CM. Wingers/Forwards tend to dribble more in final third than DM/CM, which means they have less space and are often stuck in tighter defence. Their dribble success rate may lower a lot compared to DM/CM who face less pressure. A success dribble against CB in the opponent's box is different from the one against CF in the defensive third.

If a player has high dribble success rate, it does not necessarily mean he has good dribbling skill or it's his biggest advantage. The player's position should be taken into consideration. As for DM/CM, I think it may suggest that he is able to protect the ball well and wins ground duel a lot, but not that dribbling is his main playing style.

Jun 6, 2015
Because high dribble success rate should indicate that a player is good at dribbling, but I don't think most of the players on the list can be labelled as good dribbler. They are mostly DM and CM, some even play as CB. Traore is the only winger there. I believe dribbling stats of wingers/forwards should be treated differently from those of DM/CM. Wingers/Forwards tend to dribble more in final third than DM/CM, which means they have less space and are often stuck in tighter defence. Their dribble success rate may lower a lot compared to DM/CM who face less pressure. A success dribble against CB in the opponent's box is different from the one against CF in the defensive third.

If a player has high dribble success rate, it does not necessarily mean he has good dribbling skill or it's his biggest advantage. The player's position should be taken into consideration. As for DM/CM, I think it may suggest that he is able to protect the ball well and wins ground duel a lot, but not that dribbling is his main playing style.
None of that makes the stat deceiving or misleading. It's simply people and their flawed conclusions that create all the confusion. The stat doesn't claim that those are the best dribblers per se. It simply shows that they have the highest dribbling success rates.

Rockets

Jul 26, 2022
None of that makes the stat deceiving or misleading. It's simply people and their flawed conclusions that create all the confusion. The stat doesn't claim that those are the best dribblers per se. It simply shows that they have the highest dribbling success rates.
I see your point.
But what do you think best dribble success rate suggests? Or it suggests nothing? If stat shows nothing but itself, then there're no deceiving stats.

Jun 6, 2015
I see your point.
But what do you think best dribble success rate suggests? Or it suggests nothing?
It implies that the player doesn't lose the ball often when dribbling (at least compared to other players playing in top leagues). I think you already pointed out some of the possible reasons why that is. It could be that the player takes fewer risks with his dribbling, is simply a very good at dribbling past people or a plethora of other possible explanations. I definitely agree that wingers usually take more risks with they're dribbling compared to most central midfielders. Reason being that losing the ball in those central areas is much more dangerous compared to losing the ball higher up the pitch on the flank.
If stat shows nothing but itself, then there're no deceiving stats.
Yes that is correct imo. The problem is people who often interpret the stats incorrectly and make all sorts of conclusions based on them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 6, Guests: 35)