Actor Robin Williams Dies at 63 (9 Viewers)

acmilan

Plusvalenza Akbar
Nov 8, 2005
Because he had a disease?

Brilliant.
or maybe that he didn't go out with a bang, the wet dream of any proper redneck - a mass shooting to protest big government, followed by suicide by cops. that's how a real man punches his last ticket.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
or maybe that he didn't go out with a bang, the wet dream of any proper redneck - a mass shooting to protest big government, followed by suicide by cops. that's how a real man punches his last ticket.
Translation: American Hero :heart:

Jem83

maitre'd at Canal Bar
Nov 7, 2005
Very very sad news. Cried a bit this morning when I woke up to the news of his passing. It would surprise me if there's one person in the world who had one bad thing to say about Robin Williams. What a warm soul, and it's obvious he touched alot of people. It has to be said that he was a tremendous actor. Sure, he played in a lot of silly movies, but he also got to show his skill as a brilliant actor on several occasions. Dead Poets Society and Good Will Hunting are great movies, and he was masterful in them.

"Hook" is one of my favourite films from childhood.

RIP, and thanks for the memories.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Well, I didn't have a bad thing to say about him, but I did have a run-in with someone else who was saying Robin Williams was often imitated but never equalled ... that he was a unique comic genius who, virtually, owed nothing to the comics before him.

Of course, timing around someone's tragic death is poor. But I hate lies like that where people want to bring on the reality distortion field. So I pointed him to Peter Sellers' performance in Kubrick's "Lolita" as a shockingly similar copy of the manic act that Robin Williams made famous as a comic two decades later.

If you haven't seen it, it's definitely an amazing performance and worth a watch. I'm sure Mr. Williams would approve in his honor.

Völler

Always spot on
May 6, 2012
Of course, timing around someone's tragic death is poor. But I hate lies like that where people want to bring on the reality distortion field. So I pointed him to Peter Sellers' performance in Kubrick's "Lolita" as a shockingly similar copy of the manic act that Robin Williams made famous as a comic two decades later.
:shifty:

Maddy

Oracle of Copenhagen
Jul 10, 2009
Well, I didn't have a bad thing to say about him, but I did have a run-in with someone else who was saying Robin Williams was often imitated but never equalled ... that he was a unique comic genius who, virtually, owed nothing to the comics before him.

If you haven't seen it, it's definitely an amazing performance and worth a watch. I'm sure Mr. Williams would approve in his honor.
Party pooper.

Raz

Nov 20, 2005
Disagree. I think they have a need of making people laugh that certainly borders on the neurotic. They also have tons of problems with addiction. But they're not as bad as poets, authors, and musicians in this regard.
Well I'm not really saying its THE most sad profession, but just among those few that you can almost guarantee that will be like that, just like the ones you mentioned.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Does it matter though?
Methods give insight to the torment, yes. What, say, Philip Seymour Hoffman does versus, say, Sylvia Plath does offers a different insight into their mental state of affairs.

Comedians seem to overbinge on drugs and alcohol a lot: John Belushi, Lenny Bruce, Greg Giraldo, etc. You almost never hear about them at the end of a rope or a Richard Jeni version of Kurt Cobain.

Maddy

Oracle of Copenhagen
Jul 10, 2009
But didn't exactly Robin binge on the alcohol to face his demons (or avoid them). In the end even alcohol couldn't save him from his inner demons.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
But depression and suicide are two different things. Interlinked, yes, but very different diagnoses.

Comedian suicides seem to want to slide out under the influence, rather than to more dramatically take things directly into their own hands.

To Raz's initial point about comedians being some of the saddest people on the planet, I'm still not sure of that. You can have addictive behaviors that aren't due to depression. But wanting to go Kurt Cobain on yourself is a somewhat different thing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 9)