about The Sasser Worm.. (1 Viewer)

Gandalf

Jul 28, 2003
The Sasser worm is the latest headache for Windows users. But what is it, how dangerous is it and what can you do about it?
What is the Sasser worm?

Sasser is a program that takes advantage of a hole in Microsoft's Windows. It is different to most viruses which travel by e-mail and rely on you clicking on an attachment.

Instead you can get infected by just connecting to the internet . But the worm only affects computers running recent versions of Windows XP and Windows 2000. :groan:

What damage does it do?

The worm causes some computers to continually crash and reboot, but it does not appear to cause any permanent damage to files or machines. Infected computers then also send out the worm, looking for more victims.

So far four variants of Sasser have been spotted on the internet. The latest version, Sasser.D, scans so aggressively for new computers to infect that it may cause networks to become congested with packets of data and slow down.

How widespread is the Sasser worm?

Some security experts estimate that more than one million computers have been infected. Disruptions in at least seven large companies across the world have been blamed on machines infected by Sasser. Post offices have been affected in Taiwan, hospitals in Hong Kong, and banks in Australia.

What can I do about it?

Microsoft and many security firms have released software tools that can help you find out if they are infected and to help them remove the virus from their system.

You should keep your Windows software up to date by regularly downloading the latest patches for free from Microsoft.

Computer users are also advised to install anti-virus software and keep it up to date. If you have a broadband connection use a personal firewall to close the backdoors that some malicious programs install on your PC.

---------------------------------------------

this worm has been spreading rapidly..

here is a link to remove the sasser worm from your PC:

Remove the Freakin Worm

Buy on AliExpress.com
OP
Gandalf

Gandalf

Jul 28, 2003
  • Thread Starter #5
    did you try to remove manually..? did it work..? if you have any troubles.. just ask..

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Gandalf ] ++
    jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees

you're welcome guys.. :groan:
    i didn't know you were the type that posts good things so people can thank you... ;)

Thanks anyhow.. :)

OP
    Gandalf

Gandalf

Jul 28, 2003
  • Thread Starter #7
    afa.. majed.. I'm not the type that seeks thanking..

I just hates my threads to go down without one dam reply..

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Gandalf ] ++
    afa.. majed.. I'm not the type that seeks thanking..

I just hates my threads to go down without one dam reply..
    notice the ";)"

relax.. i know what you mean :)

Ali

Conditioned
    Contributor
    Jul 15, 2002
    Thanks for the info. I always checkout www.symantec.com for the latest threats. There is a pretty good write up about it & a removal tool there. 4 of my computers were struck down coz I had forgotten to update the security patches but it was easy to get rid of it.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    No no, it's what I expected. I'm just pretty busy these days. Though even when I do get the time, the learning process will be long and arduous. I'm counting on it paying off though. If not, I know where you live Martin :fero:

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    usb mouse won't work properly (side buttons) even though the config is a clone of what I have on my desktop. And it's unstable, keyboard freezes sometimes, though I can admin remotely with ssh. And still working on setting up my wireless card which is not well supported.

Installing fedora now so I can mooch off its config.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)