Aaron Ramsey (88 Viewers)

Jun 16, 2020
Did anyone really doubt his quality? Every criticism thrown his way related to being injury prone. Stay healthy and we have ourselves an extra midfielder.
Yeah I do. But it’s not only the qualities, also his age, wages and injuries have been a problem for me.

If he keeps this level he’d be the star of our midfield for sure. Can’t remember the last time that I enjoyed one of our midfielders so much since Pogba left. Please keep this up.

Apr 19, 2007
He played well. I wonder how we lineup with everyone available and in form? Will Dybala or Kulu be behind a front two? Does the striker start with Ronaldo and one is behind? Do we switch to more of a 343 at that pont?

.zero

★ ★ ★
Aug 8, 2006
Andrea Pirlo has given Aaron Ramsey the freedom of expression

By James Horncastle Sep 21, 2020

1600815123745.png

Turin is home to some of the world’s most famous chocolatiers. Until Sunday night Aaron Ramsey wasn’t thought to be one of them. But playing with him against Sampdoria was a box of treats for his Juventus team-mates. La Gazzetta dello Sport named the Welshman man of the match and made him out to be the second coming of the giandujotto king Guido Gobino. “A distributor of cioccolatini” was how the Pink described him. Turin’s national broadsheet La Stampa also marvelled at Ramsey’s ability to “churn out delicious assists”.

The 29-year-old only got one in the end and would have had more were it not for Cristiano Ronaldo’s apparent lack of a sweet tooth. Last year’s top scorer did open his account for the campaign after Ramsey slipped him through in the 88th minute and it was about time. Uncharacteristically for Ronaldo, he missed a hat-trick of other chances laid on for him by the former Arsenal midfielder, the array of which resembled the delicacies on the display counter at Stratta in Piazza San Carlo.

Ramsey played six key passes in Juventus’ curtain-raiser and by that metric Opta rank it as the most inventive night of his club career, matched only by performances from his Premier League years against Leicester in 2014 and Wolves in 2011. To most people it was his best game in Juventus colours although the role Ramsey played in a pivotal win in the Derby d’Italia last February when the Caerphilly-born midfielder scored and helped set up Paulo Dybala’s outrageous winner is all too easily forgotten.

Perhaps that’s because once Juventus re-emerged from lockdown Maurizio Sarri began overlooking a player who’d really started to hit form over the spring only for the pandemic to bring the season to a halt. Ramsey started only two of Juventus’ final 12 league games and while he did experience some niggles in that time he was fit and available to play for most of them. It’s just that Sarri had other ideas and turned to him late in games as a sub for one of the team’s deep-lying playmakers Miralem Pjanic and Rodrigo Bentancur.

Winning the first league title of his career must have been the source of considerable satisfaction as Ramsey emulated his mythical compatriot John Charles in adorning his shirt with the tricolour Scudetto. But there was more to come providing he got the chance to play on a consistent basis. Watching him play in the weekend’s 3-0 win was like reading Pirlo’s dissertation all over again. On the one hand, it’s a testament to il Maestro’s ability to get his ideas across clearly and in no time at all. On the other, it’s like Pirlo said after the game. “Ramsey’s a great player. He’s very intelligent.”

In his thesis Pirlo cited a quote from Xavi about the “third man” being impossible to defend. “We try to play through our opponent’s press by using a vertice to create what we call the ‘most open pass possible’.” The vertice is a player who often operates at the tip of the midfield. This passing network graphic from StatsBomb gives you an impression of where Ramsey was receiving the ball.

1600815206933.png

Of the three Juventus midfielders he was the one furthest forward and more often than not occupying the left half-space. When Samp had possession, Ramsey shuttled across to that flank the way Blaise Matuidi used to in order to help his team defend the width in a 4-4-2. In the screenshot below you can see why Weston McKennie also earned glowing write-ups after his debut, sliding in and regaining the ball for Ramsey to seize on and get Juventus transitioning from defence into attack.

export-62.png

A quick one-two with Ronaldo and they were off with Ramsey coming inside to go back outside.

export-63.png

Unfortunately the five-time Ballon d’Or winner hit the bar, not the net. But the move showcased one of the novelties of Pirlo’s first game in charge with the right-footed Ramsey playing ‘inverted’ on the left to facilitate sideways passes out wide or penetrative passes in behind.

Juventus attacked in much the same way they did in the friendly against Novara with a 3-2-5 configuration that had the aim of dilating Sampdoria’s defence. In the screenshot below Ramsey runs in behind to provide Leonardo Bonucci with the option of playing a ball over the top. In the end the pass doesn’t come, but the dash forces the visitors back and creates space for Juventus’ other attackers.

export-59.png

The opening goal arrived from a similar situation with Ronaldo coming short and Ramsey looking to break past Samp’s back four.

export-61.png

Rabiot lofted it up for him to nod back down to the turning Portuguese who attempted a dribble in the penalty area. He was blocked but it didn’t matter as Dejan Kulusevski latched onto the loose ball and played a snooker shot into the far corner on his debut.

The variety to Juventus’ play around the penalty area unsettled their opponents, forcing Samp’s defenders into decisions they didn’t want to take and areas they’d rather not go. Unlike last season when Ronaldo and his strike partner were often left isolated and crowded out in the box, Ramsey, in particular, was in close proximity — racking up the second-most touches in the box — and was able to combine with him to interesting effect.

Take Juventus’ final goal of the night. Ramsey again found himself between the lines and just look how close he is to Ronaldo.

export-75-1024x576.png

Once Bentancur picked him out, Ramsey knew what to do. The chocolatier handed Ronaldo a treat and this time he devoured it.

export-67.png

The principles Pirlo wants to play with as encapsulated in the acronym CARP — Costruzione (build-up), Ampiezza (width), Rifinitura (between the lines), Profondita (the space in behind) — all featured heavily in Ramsey’s performance.

Always looking to get open, no image sums that up better than the moment at the beginning of the second half when Ramsey shouted for the ball as a 4-v-4 began to develop in front of him.

export-65-1.png

Kulusevki answered his team-mate’s call and then looked on as Ramsey turned and sent Gianluca Frabotta bearing down on goal with a nicely weighted pass with the outside of his right foot.

Samp, it must be said, were a big disappointment. Claudio Ranieri didn’t mince his words afterwards calling the performance “cowardly”. The fight that kept them up last year was absent. There was none of the cohesion you’d expect from a team whose record under Ranieri was the 11th best in the league, none of the defensive stinginess and gritty resolve that often made them awkward to play against as recently as July. The former Leicester manager believed Juventus could and should have won by an even bigger scoreline and said the reigning Italian champions were more unpredictable than they were under Sarri.

Ramsey had a hand in that. The third man — he was impossible to defend. Take this sequence, for instance. McKennie is marked and the passing lane to Rabiot is obscured so
Ramsey drops a little deeper, providing Bonucci with an alternative. As the Wales international receives the ball, he then tries a first-time ball around the corner for Kulusevski.

export-71-1024x576.png

Unfortunately for Ramsey, he finds Samp defender Tommaso Augello instead. But it’s here that he embodies another of the concepts Pirlo is introducing. The 41-year-old former deep-lying playmaker has repeated his desire for Juventus to hold onto the ball as long as possible and win it back as quickly as possible. In his thesis he referenced a study claiming top sides press 30 to 35 times a game with a 70% success rate. According to Pirlo the average positive regain lasts around five seconds and involves 2.5 players.
Looking at the StatsBomb log of the game, McKennie and Ramsey were the two Juventus players who made the most pressures. They also matched each other for tackles and interceptions.

After giving the ball away on this occasion Ramsey instantly sets his sights on reclaiming it. He reads Augello’s mind and figures the left-back is going to pass inside to Lorenzo Tonelli.

export-72-1024x576.png

The anticipation Ramsey shows catches his opponent out. He steals the ball back, hares through on goal forcing Samp’s centre-half to take a risk and lunge in.

export-74-1024x576.png

Augello covers so Tonelli isn’t the last man and avoids a red card. But Ramsey’s pressing instincts get the centre-back booked with 85 minutes of the game still to go. The free-kick he earns is in a position Pirlo would probably have fancied his chances from.
Much freer to express himself than last season when he was often played out of position in a rigid system, the outlook for Ramsey looks positive. “All Aaron needs is to be healthy,” Pirlo said. “My only hope is he’s available. He’s always shown himself to be an important player.”
Remarkably Ramsey has already played 90 minutes as many times in Serie A as he did last season. Greater continuity should enable him to back up performances like the one he gave on Sunday night. It’s early days but Pirlo has already generated significant enthusiasm and judging by the vibes the players are giving off it is contagious.

“Excited for what’s to come,” Ramsey tweeted.

https://theathletic.com/2082815/2020/09/22/aaron-ramsey-juventus-sampdoria-andrea-pirlo/

.zero

★ ★ ★
Aug 8, 2006
The Athletic are giving away annual subs for free all over the place. Just need to look around.

I got my subscription through work but it’s totally worth it if I had to pay for it even at a discount.

Juve_fanatic

Second coolest member!
Apr 5, 2006
Ramsey has to play. He just has to. He is our most creative midfielder and the one with the best vision. Havent seen Arthur play before so thats why im leaving him out. Ramsey always impressed me. Many here were unfair to him last season but to think that he only once played full 90 minutes in whole season, is ludacrious. Pirlo isnt praising him just for the sake of it he knows what kind of a player Ramsey is and what can he bring to the table amd i am 100% sure Ramsey is Pirlo's favourite player at the moment. I just knew it, and i know that if Ramsey stays fit, he will explode under Pirlo. But i am also pretty sure that the chances of him staying fit for a longer period are also very, very slim.

piotrr

Мodеrator
Sep 13, 2011
The Athletic are giving away annual subs for free all over the place. Just need to look around.

I got my subscription through work but it’s totally worth it if I had to pay for it even at a discount.
Yeah, I got a 60% off deal for my subscription. Worth it imo. Some of the best football articles you’ll find anywhere.
lol look at these assholes showing off that they got a 60% off a 1$/month subscription, dat dere 60cents of savings
just log off guys

@Lion

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
Mar 6, 2003
Ramsey has to play. He just has to. He is our most creative midfielder and the one with the best vision. Havent seen Arthur play before so thats why im leaving him out. Ramsey always impressed me. Many here were unfair to him last season but to think that he only once played full 90 minutes in whole season, is ludacrious. Pirlo isnt praising him just for the sake of it he knows what kind of a player Ramsey is and what can he bring to the table amd i am 100% sure Ramsey is Pirlo's favourite player at the moment. I just knew it, and i know that if Ramsey stays fit, he will explode under Pirlo. But i am also pretty sure that the chances of him staying fit for a longer period are also very, very slim.

You just know that when a coach unleash the khediraish comment "He is very intgelligent", he is totally sold :oops2:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 85)