A question that somehow occurred to me (1 Viewer)

gray

Apr 22, 2003
If humans' technological advances occurred 100 times faster than they currently do, do you think that we'd be:

• Better off because of all the technological advances?

Ending famine, curing every disease present and future etc, having robot slaves to do all our work (assuming they don't turn on us and farm our bodies as energy sources, then attack our city with scary tentacled robots)
  • Dead

Don't just say "dead because of all the bombs and weapons", let's hear some constructive thoughts!

Buy on AliExpress.com

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
As long as there are multi-billion dollar pharmecudical companies out there, the technology to cure diseases and the ablility, (or desire) to distribute said vaccines will never go hand-in-hand. Unfortunately, there are many people who make millions upon millions of dollars off of the need for treatments of the ill. They make a lot more money in the long run that way, than just administering a one-time vaccine to cure the disease.

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
gray - Even if we were TECHNOLOGICALLY capable of advancing 100X faster technologically than we are now then we wouldn't be HUMANLY capable of it.

Just think: Philips can easily make a light bulb that never breaks down. Of course they won't, that way they wouldn't sell anything anymore after a while.

#2 We can easily produce cars that run on water (well, not really water but I don't know what it's called in English, in Dutch it's "waterstof"). They, however, are still not in mass production because the oil industry keeps blocking it.

It's humanly impossible and frankly, the current speed already surprises me at times.

OP
gray

gray

Apr 22, 2003
  • Thread Starter #5
    But Serge, with said technology, the ability to distribute said vaccines would be a sinch.

I'm just working with the underlying assumption that we have all the technological needs we could possibly have.

The question is, would flawless living conditions all over the world be a solution to war and territorialism?

OP
    gray

gray

Apr 22, 2003
  • Thread Starter #7
    ++ [ originally posted by Matto ] ++
    gray - Even if we were TECHNOLOGICALLY capable of advancing 100X faster technologically than we are now then we wouldn't be HUMANLY capable of it.

Just think: Philips can easily make a light bulb that never breaks down. Of course they won't, that way they wouldn't sell anything anymore after a while.

#2 We can easily produce cars that run on water (well, not really water but I don't know what it's called in English, in Dutch it's "waterstof"). They, however, are still not in mass production because the oil industry keeps blocking it.

It's humanly impossible and frankly, the current speed already surprises me at times.
    Ahhh but with such technology, we prolly would've improved our bodies too :p

Also, in such a situation i don't think money will be very valuable, because everyone has simple access to everything they need in terms of food, water, whatever resources they need.

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001
    Like we'd ever manage to establish such a Utopia.

And it's not about our bodies, it's about the mind. The greedy and corrupted side of it anyway.

OP
    gray

gray

Apr 22, 2003
  • Thread Starter #9
    But can greed exist when everything is in abundance anyway? Well I guess there's really no limit to greed :down:

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
    The human desire for always wanting more has, and always will, outweigh what would be for the greater good of society

OP
    gray

gray

Apr 22, 2003
  • Thread Starter #14
    ++ [ originally posted by Matto ] ++
    Very much so I'm afraid.
    Weird, I never pictured you as an optimist. More a realist. You should know this!
    Well it's easy to change your viewpoint on someone's outlook when you take their posts out of context :fero:

++ [ originally posted by gray ] ++
    Well I guess there's really no limit to greed :down:
    :D

++ [ originally posted by baggio ] ++
    Gray when and how did this question occur to u?! :)
    I was sitting with my girlfriend at a takeaway joint eating noodles and the thought popped into my head. Why? :)

IncuboRossonero

Inferiority complex
    Nov 16, 2003
    To be honest Sergio I didn't even read what you said I was just laughing at the "whatever ..what he said" response that Fli gave....its basically another way of saying "sounds good"

Dude..I sense some tension...is it the 4-0 or the thoughts of krispy kreme..nutella and Kinder bars?!!!

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
    Yeah, my computer at home just shit the bed again for the thirteenth time in a year, yet my wife won't let me throw it out the window and buy an Alienware computer for 5,000.00 dollars.

"Dude, you're getting a Dell."

Yeah, Yeah, Fukk off, kid.

I'm at work right now, so I'm getting a chance to type here when possible.

Torkel

f(s+1)=3((s +1)-1=3s
    Jul 12, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Stupendous Man ] ++
    The human desire for always wanting more has, and always will, outweigh what would be for the greater good of society
    Ehh... Well... Don't rule out the value of greed either. Greed, or looking after thyself, is helping the world go around.The baker on the corner isn't making bread to feed you, he's making it to feed his own family if you get my drift. To look at the other side of your comment, without any greed at all society would probably stand still and never progress.

The problem is to control the greed and self-interest, and see where it works out good and not. I have some ideas about how I would do it. Some would do it differently, but that's their thing. Some countries don't seem to try and control the greed at all. ;)

OP
    gray

gray

Apr 22, 2003
  • Thread Starter #20
    Greed is different from survival though.

Survival is the number one instinct in all living creatures, but I'd define greed as the instinct which makes people/animals bite off more than they can chew.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)