A new computer (1 Viewer)

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
I'm thinking of (finally) getting a new computer, and since its not gonna be a brand name one, I would like to think what you lot think about this configuration:

MBO MSI 845E Max, S478, FSB533, DDR266, USB 2.0
CPU Intel P4 2.4 Ghz, 512k, S478
2 x RAM Corsair Value CAS2.5 512MB DDR333
VGA GigaCube ATI Radeon 9200 128MB
HDD Maxtor 80GB/7200
Monitor Hyundai 71" Image Q V770 1280x1024
DVD-ROM Plextor PX-116ABP 16x/48x
CD-ReWriter Plextor PX-W5224TA
SPK Hercules XPS510 5.1
+
Wheel Thurstmaster 360 Ferrari Modena USB :D

All in all it should be roughly 1100 €

What do you think, is this any good :undecide:

Buy on AliExpress.com

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
On the whole it looks good, I don't know what the two last items are, presumably a mouse there and you should have plenty of RAM to last you a good while.

I've had my share of grief with MSI mobos but some people seem to like them so I won't vote against it. I notice the mobo is DDR266 and the RAM is DDR333, now I know technically it *shouldn't* be a problem but in the past I've had to match up my RAM exactly to my mobo, so I would double check that point.

And it might be easier just to get a DVD/CD+RW instead of a DVD-ROM and a CD-RW. I assume the monitor is actually 17 inches? ;)

Is it a package deal or are you building it yourself?

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
++ [ originally posted by Alex ] ++
:dazed:

€ 1.100,- sounds like a lot of money to me :greedy:

Also the average price of a decent notebook in this country (which I would like to have but can't afford :()

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
Notebooks are elusive though, you buy one and a few years later it's outdated, frustrating. And there are no updates so you're stuck with it. :(

€1100 is a pretty good price for a setup like that by Norwegian prices, course everything is overpriced here.

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
Who gives a flying toss about upgrades, I just need something I can bring with me on trains etc.

Wasting so much time on public transportation like I do is insane :sigh:

OP

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
  • Thread Starter #7
    On the whole it looks good, I don't know what the two last items are, presumably a mouse there and you should have plenty of RAM to last you a good while.

I've had my share of grief with MSI mobos but some people seem to like them so I won't vote against it. I notice the mobo is DDR266 and the RAM is DDR333, now I know technically it *shouldn't* be a problem but in the past I've had to match up my RAM exactly to my mobo, so I would double check that point.

And it might be easier just to get a DVD/CD+RW instead of a DVD-ROM and a CD-RW. I assume the monitor is actually 17 inches? ;)

Yes, I checked the specs of the mobo and a test on a website and they said Samsung DDR 333 worked fine for them, but just in case for the same price I'm looking at an Albatron PX845GEV DDR 333. I dont know which one is better, so I trusted the website and chose the MSI. Maybe you know which one is better?

And no, the monitor is actually 71" :D (Yes, 17" ;) )

And I also thought about the DVD/CD RW thing but that would cost around 200 €, while a DVD ROM and a CR RW together cost around 100 € and I'm on a budget (my parents are paying :groan: ). Besides, I have no need for writng DVD's. I wouldnt use it to write CD's very often either, so it's not neccessary to splash 100 € extra. I'll just use the CD RW to back things up, copy music, transfer bigger files and stuff, nothing too complex.

And no, its not a package deal. I wasnt happy with what they were offering so I just chose the components myself. :)

P.S. Thank you Martin :)

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    Since it's not a package, just make sure you make them assure you it's all compatible cause if it isn't, it's their fault. :)

Torkel

f(s+1)=3((s +1)-1=3s
    Jul 12, 2002
    €1100 is a pretty good price for a setup like that by Norwegian prices, course everything is overpriced here.
    Not overpriced, just properly set against "konsumprisindeksen" ;) .

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    Oh shut up :p It's the taxes on import that raise the prices :mad: I guess they're trying to protect all the Norwegian hardware manufacturers :wallbang:

OP

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
  • Thread Starter #11
    Yes, I intend to (altho I might be counting my chickens before they hatch, I still have to convince my parent to pay ;) )

If everything's OK and compatible I'll have a 2 year warranty :)

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    I think it looks decent, but I think u could do a bit more with that money. I guess I don't know relatively, since I'm unaware of the state of the computer industry over there.

About a year ago now, I got the following for about 1,775 Euro (I've since forgotten many of the numbers and names so I'll be pretty generic about some of the specs:

Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-8SG667

SIS 648 + SIS 963 AGPSet
    Socket 478
    3 DDR / ATX
    6 USB 2.0 Ports
    AC97 6-Channel onboard Audio
    ATA133

Processor
    P4 2.53 GHZ

RAM
    512 DDR

HDD
    80GB Seagate (i think)

Graphics
    ASUS 8420

AGP 4x
    GeForce 4 Ti 4200
    128 MB SDRAM DDR

Others

TV Tuner (i love this)
    48x12x48 CDR
    16x DVD-ROM
    10/100 Ethernet Adapter

OP

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
  • Thread Starter #13
    Hmm, I dont know, this was the best I could find for this kind of money. I'm on a tight budget. The place I'm (hopefully) getting it form is one of the more expensive ones, but also one of the best ones. So I could maybe get more, but the quality, epertise of the people that do it and stuf, the warranty would all be worse.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by GOAT ] ++
    Hmm, I dont know, this was the best I could find for this kind of money. I'm on a tight budget. The place I'm (hopefully) getting it form is one of the more expensive ones, but also one of the best ones. So I could maybe get more, but the quality, epertise of the people that do it and stuf, the warranty would all be worse.
    Hmmm AFAIK, my warranty's fine. I personally don't care about the professionalism of places or their appearance. As long as they've got what I want at a good price, I'll take it. Just make sure they're not the type of shop that hands over computer chips like spare change (ie without the static-proof bag).

Some big-name stores have staff that know less about computers than the smaller ones, and in the end, expertise of the people doesn't matter anyway, as long as u know what u're getting.

Just my $0.02

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    gray, frankly your setup for a higher price looks no better than goat's.
    a year ago? :rolleyes:

Zlatan's processor's a little slower (not that it's a big difference, but i'd be expecting 3GHz these days), and most of the other specs are the same...

Actually, I didn't notice the monitor there... hmm that changes things a bit I guess ;)

Plus my currency conversion skills aren't exactly tip-top, so figure out $2000 AUD :undecide:

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    €1716 then. Well as I said, it doesn't make sense to say he should do better when you didn't. He's got twice the amount of RAM you got.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    €1716 then. Well as I said, it doesn't make sense to say he should do better when you didn't. He's got twice the amount of RAM you got.
    Ahhh I missed the 2x :p

Fair enough then :) I should read more carefully... 512DDR and a 17" monitor isn't too bad ;)

Though I'm still proud of a decent deal considering it was abou t16 months ago :cool:

OP

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
  • Thread Starter #19
    Yeah, well I'm hoping to hit the stores in the next week or two, if everything goes to plan (money wise) :cool:

Ali

Conditioned
    Contributor
    Jul 15, 2002
    While in Dubai I bought this:
    ITEM DESCRIPTION
    Motherboard Intel 865 PERL Original Motherboard 800FSB
    Processor Pentium 2.4 Ghz 533Mhz FSB Boxed
    RAM RAM 512MB DDR 333 Bus cl 2.5
    Monitor SAMSUNG 152T LCD 15"
    Hard Drive 80GB 7200 Seagate HDD
    VGA Card 256MB VGA Card with DVI Out (Gainward)
    Sound Card Audigy (Will get the specs later)
    CD-Writer Plextor CD Writer 52/24/52
    DVD-ROM Plextor 16x DVD
    Keyb/Mouse Viewsonic Keyboard & Optical Mouse
    Floppy Drive Panasonic 1.44 FDD
    Speakers Creative 5.1 5200 Speakers
    Case ATX ATX Black Case P4
    Network Card 3 COM NIC 10/100

I think it is almost or slightly more than 1100 Euros - Will check the receipts & let you know.
    Important
    - Make sure the processor is boxed. This will avoid those nasty cheap heat sinks & cooling fans.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)