JhoolayLaaaal!
Dec 10, 2004
IIRC it didnt happened that way, Leonidas said smth like:
earth and water you want? go get them...:D
No it went something like this: "This is blasphemy, this is madness!!"
-"Madness? Madness?! THIS IS SPAAARTA!!"

:D

Other points of disagreement with history were:
-the waves of the Persian army were formed of 10,000 men or so but the Spartans werent fighting alone
-the end, of course, was a little different,not v.different in essence though, i cant comment further to avoid spoilers...
-i dont think Leonidas wife got sodo...ed:oops: well such a thing couldnt be discussed in a school anyway
-the oracle said smth like "Sparta will loose a King or will perish", that really concluded Leonida's choices, but also proved his valor and self sacrifice,
i cant think of a reason they chosed not to be accurate here
-Xerxes didnt bleed...his brothers and generals though...left a piece or two on the battlefield
-although the Persian army had aces to war elephants (and Rhinos???)
i dont think they carried them along though, i may be wrong here, i ve red somewhere that they had a few beasts with them...
I hope you do realize it's also based on a graphical novel :p

Buy on AliExpress.com
OP
Cronios

Cronios

Juventolog
Jun 7, 2004
  • Thread Starter #42
    No it went something like this: "This is blasphemy, this is madness!!"
    -"Madness? Madness?! THIS IS SPAAARTA!!"

:D
    I mean what happened in reality, if anyone cares anyway...
    but i guess ppl loved the film's version more:D
    I hope you do realize it's also based on a graphical novel :p
    Oh well, i m used to it, no point on arguing about, even negative publicity can help some times, i bet today's Sparta will become a little more popular destination from now on:p

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
    Dec 10, 2004
    I mean what happened in reality, if anyone cares anyway...
    but i guess ppl loved the film's version more:D

Oh well, i m used to it, no point on arguing about, even negative publicity can help some times, i bet today's Sparta will become a little more popular destination from now on:p
    You publicity whore :D

K0STA

Jul 12, 2006
    They were military society... so had no time for arts, and crafting democracy doctrines.

Although for example, Women were allowed to own property, wear what they wished and go anywhere they liked. (unlike other Greek Societies e.g. Athenians)

We Georgian were in battles almost everyday during the period of existence (aprx. 3000 years); Even Persians were here, Osmals, Agha-Makhmad-Khan etc. We Also had similar situation once in 1795:) Where "300 Aragvelians" fought to death against Huge Army; At that time Georgians where 5000 and they where 35000 and we actually won it, and then Agha-Makhmad-khan decided to go back, but again he found out that we where too few left and came back that Mo$%eth F^&ker :(

Those f#$ing Russians didn't help us, we had treaty with them and they didn't send Army:(

P.S. Not many know this but Since 12th century Territory of Georgia included Half-of Turkey, Half of Armenia, up in north almost till Krasnodar (North Osetia), etc.
    But Again Russians came into business.!!!!

Jan 7, 2004
    They were military society... so had no time for arts, and crafting democracy doctrines.

Although for example, Women were allowed to own property, wear what they wished and go anywhere they liked. (unlike other Greek Societies e.g. Athenians)

We Georgian were in battles almost everyday during the period of existence (aprx. 3000 years); Even Persians were here, Osmals, Agha-Makhmad-Khan etc. We Also had similar situation once in 1795:) Where "300 Aragvelians" fought to death against Huge Army; At that time Georgians where 5000 and they where 35000 and we actually won it, and then Agha-Makhmad-khan decided to go back, but again he found out that we where too few left and came back that Mo$%eth F^&ker :(

Those f#$ing Russians didn't help us, we had treaty with them and they didn't send Army:(

P.S. Not many know this but Since 12th century Territory of Georgia included Half-of Turkey, Half of Armenia, up in north almost till Krasnodar (North Osetia), etc.
    But Again Russians came into business.!!!!

you had to make it about the georgians

Bozi

The Bozman
    Administrator
    Oct 18, 2005
    Great entertainment, but anyone who actually see this movie as historical and factual deserves crucifixion.
    i seriously hope that no-one believes that its the true story/hisorically accurate sice we all know hollywood blows fact out of its as for entertainment. braveheart is a prime example and U571(was taht what it was called?) where it was teh american navy who captured the enigma machine, lots of ex-british navy were very pissed at that movie.

thouh read an interesting review of this the other day that compared this to fascist propeganda

Sep 14, 2003
    thouh read an interesting review of this the other day that compared this to fascist propeganda

It's become so easy to determine a person's political leaning based on what they thought about this film.

The left seem to hate it, the right love it.

K0STA

Jul 12, 2006
    you had to make it about the georgians
    You have no idea :)

This is real!!!

And I'm not talking about 500B.C. ... I'm talking about more recent (and thus more accurate) historical moments...

There is a book about parrallels between 300 Spartans and 300 Aragvelians.

You guys just have no Idea about the country Georgia... and its History :) We had Renaissance (12th Century) long before you guys had in EUROPE (14th Century). ... well I don't wanna get into this.

P.S. for example There is a saying that "Russians were climbing on trees, when Georgian were translating the Gospel"

V

Jun 8, 2005
    • V

V

This is a child's movie. I don't know if it was the copy-pasted six-packs and biceps or the persian monsters but I most definetly didn't expect something like this... There were some impressive scenes in the movie, it's a blockbuster in every sense of the word and I feel it's exactly what ruined it for me. I think I should have gained more info on the comic and the movie and than went on to watch it, this way I was really disapointed.

.zero

★ ★ ★
    Aug 8, 2006
    I understand Iran's reaction, though. Had the Iranians made a movie depicting Americans as monsters, it would be called propaganda in the West. Especially when you consider the current political situation.
    honestly americans really dont care. as you can see on this forum we are just baffled at why ppl hate americans when it is only in context of u.s. foreign policy; which trickles down to american culture and then the ppl somehow. trust me, americans really dont care if they are depicted as monsters... just ask canada and mexico :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)