[FRA] Ligue 1 2007/2008 (1 Viewer)

ReBeL

The Jackal
Jan 14, 2005
PARIS, July 26 (Reuters) - May the best team win -- as long as it is not Olympique Lyon -- is the not so secret refrain from almost everyone in the world of French soccer who does not support the club.

With the new French Ligue 1 season opening on on August 4, it seems few, if any of their rivals, actually have the capacity to prevent Lyon winning the title for the seventh successive season.

The French league kings have, of course, no intention of relaxing their grip on the title they have held since 2002, even if they have allowed players such as Florent Malouda (Chelsea), Tiago (Juventus) and Alou Diarra (Auxerre) to leave.

"Our aim will be to do better than last season," chairman Jean-Michel Aulas warned his rivals repeating nearly word for word what he said this time last year.

Lyon performed a feat not even Juventus, Barcelona, Real Madrid, Manchester United or Bayern Munich have achieved when they were crowned champions again in the spring.

In fact no other club in any of the major European soccer nations have ever matched that six-in-a-row record.

They were crowned with five games to spare and ended the season with 81 points from 24 wins, nine draws and five defeats, -- and with a 17-point lead over runners-up Olympique Marseille.

To do better, they will have to beat the record of 26 victories shared by Reims, AS Monaco and Nantes.

Nantes were the last team to win the title, in 2001, before Lyon's stranglehold began -- but that success is fast fading into history and an illustration of how long ago it was is that Nantes will start the new season in Ligue 2 after being relegated last season.

Such is Lyon's domination now that the last French championship ended with some commentators lamenting the lack of interest of a competition deprived of suspense.

The team who might give them a run for their money are Olympique Marseille. The 1993 European champions have not won a major trophy in 14 years but secured a Champions League group stage berth with an end-of-the season flourish.

Surprisingly, they sold their star player Franck Ribery to Bayern Munich. They also signed France striker Djibril Cisse, Dutch winger Boudewijn Zenden, Algeria midfielder Karim Ziani and France international central defender Gael Givet.

"I am very hopeful because our new signings are talented players who have proved their worth. I think our squad will be stronger than last year," said coach Albert Emon.

Chairman Pape Diouf is more cautious. "I heard some people saying that we were the favourites for the title but we must not be over-hasty. Lyon still are the true favourite," he said.

However, Lyon's other traditional rivals do not look likely to mount a serious challenge this season.

Girondins Bordeaux could not stop France's hopefuls Julien Faubert and Rio Mavuba from moving to West Ham United and Villareal.

They will also start the new season under the guidance of Laurent Blanc who was a member of the France's squad that won the 1998 World Cup and the 2000 European championship but has no previous coaching experience.

Paris St Germain, who just escaped relegation with a late rally, are still recovering from a nightmare season. "We must take our time to rebuild a team and find some new ambitions," said chairman Alain Cayzac.

Reuters

Buy on AliExpress.com

Marc

Softcore Juventino
Jul 14, 2006
This league is so crappy. Lyon to win it again. This time maybe with just 6-7 points of advantage.

RAMI-N

★ ★ ★
Aug 22, 2006
No one can predict the champion of any league...
Lyon are hot favorites, but other teams stand a chance as well...
I think Lyon will concentrate more then before ob CL...

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
2-0 Karim Bezema.

Lyon are Champions!!

I have coverage of Ligue 1 this year :weee:
That's good. If I lived at home I would have coverage thanks to Setanta, but I'll might make the trip home sometimes to watch some of the better matches.

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
Wow! Setanta is one of the best channels out there. I wish my cable provider would get it one day.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Wow! Setanta is one of the best channels out there. I wish my cable provider would get it one day.
Indeed. I came home yesterday and discovered Setanta next to Gol TV, so I was quite pleased at that. In the United States you could only get Setanta if you had Direct TV before this month.

OP

ReBeL

The Jackal
Jan 14, 2005
  • Thread Starter #12
    I watched the whole match today and I have to say that Lyon seems insisting to keep the title for the 600th time...

The club really deserves respect.

As Andy said, I was so impressed by the Keita guy. He was great. Ben Arfa was too good too.

The club made me feel the harmony betwen players. Although some of them are new to the club, but they have played as if they know each other since ages.

Juninho wasn't himself though. One of his freekicks was so lame and he appeared angry.

Anyway, like each season, I can watch the French league on many channels for free, and I'm willing to see as much Lyon matches as I can. They really impressed me.

Geof

May 14, 2004
    Ligue 1 is quite underrated I think. It used to suck, until '98 when France won the WC with players all playing abroad.

Now the French have discovered they have some good teams, and that's not onyl Lyon.

IMO, Ligue 1 has reached, if not overtaken the level of the Bundesliga.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
    Elmander really is class...hes proving it time and time again...Lens are nothing without Seydou Keita who moved to Sevilla...watch that guy closely this season..my money is on him taking la liga by storm this season....I enjoy watching Lorient this season.,they play a 4-3-3 with Marin-Saifi and Vahirua upfront...Rafik Saifi is one of my favourite players in ligue the guy is a joy to watch..not to mention hes the top scorer till now i think.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
    Lorient is playing now against Valenciennes...i dont have a channel that broadcasts the match unfortunately..but surprisingly Lorient are losing..it will be the first game they lose this season...but they still have a whole half to bounce back...and everythings possible when algerian wonderboy Rafik Saifi is around.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
    Well so much about Lorient bouncing back...they lost 3-1 and Rafik Saifi missed a penalty to level things for Lorient...I got to watch the game later on..and i noticed Lorient were missing several players...Micheal Ciani,Yazid Mansouri and Ulrich Le Pen were the main absentees..It was an entertaining game of football from both sides..Valenciennes deserved their victory though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)