Zalayeta is a very good player. (1 Viewer)

gray

Apr 22, 2003
I don't think he's a _great_ player, but I think he has more potential than many of us think. He could be the starting striker at a smaller club, but at Juve, I think he's only got the quality for 5th striker. As for RVN not being able to dribble, I disagree. Sure, he looks unstable and usually just barges everyone out of the way, but he can get past defenders. I don't think Zala's worth keeping though, it wouldn't be a bad move to sell him off in favour of a better backup striker (even Klose, who I'm not a fan off)

paulo

Aug 14, 2002
It somewhat amazes me how little Zalayeta is appreciated as I read this thread. I know he's not great, and no he's not Trez or Ruud, but still! He deserves better.

Now I know we already have 4 star forwards in addition to Zala. If I would have to choose I would too pick him the 5th striker. But that doesn't mean he's useless or not of "Juventus standard". Sure he is! If he isn't why does Lippi continue have faith in him? How come he scored almost every time he played in Coppa Italia two seasons ago? This doesn't prove much but it still proves something.

About the bench-sitting...Juve have had some difficult times recently...having suffered several injuries, enormous pressure surrounding the team the whole year...and when Lippi had to pick the players Zala was always there. He never complained, never asked for higher wage or if he could go to another club...he kept himself loyal towards the club and Lippi and was willing to sit on the bench. And when he got his chance he played well. I think we should appreciate that, just like we appreciate other first team players!

gray

Apr 22, 2003
++ [ originally posted by paulo ] ++
About the bench-sitting...Juve have had some difficult times recently...having suffered several injuries, enormous pressure surrounding the team the whole year...and when Lippi had to pick the players Zala was always there. He never complained, never asked for higher wage or if he could go to another club...he kept himself loyal towards the club and Lippi and was willing to sit on the bench. And when he got his chance he played well. I think we should appreciate that, just like we appreciate other first team players!
We do appreciate that, and these are the qualities that make him a decent man to have as our fifth striker :cheesy:

Humility is a great thing to see in a player, and I'm glad Zala is loyal to us and doesn't complain... but the fact stands that he's not a great player, and we can't afford to rely on him if somehow three of Mico, DP, Trez, DV get injured. I hope he does improve and can do good things for us, but he really has to show something special if he wants to play regularly.

paulo

Aug 14, 2002
Why can't we afford to rely on him if the others get injured? I know he's not a great player but he can do pretty well most of the times, like when he scored the winning goal against Barcelona. When we already have DP, Trez, Miccoli and Di Vaio I can't see any reason why we need someone better than Zala as a 5th striker.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
++ [ originally posted by paulo ] ++
Why can't we afford to rely on him if the others get injured? I know he's not a great player but he can do pretty well most of the times, like when he scored the winning goal against Barcelona.
Yes, but the problem is... that's the only time i can think of when he's produced the goods when we really needed him to. Maybe the Chievo game...but still...twice in the whole season!? Compared to the number of opportunities he had, he's impressed little last season. That said, It's not like we need to sell him and get a top class striker to replace him... but it's just that... I don't feel confident when he's on the field, and our fifth striker should at least give the feeling that he's adding to the team when he replaces the likes of DP, Trez. I'm not saying that he should be as good as these guys, but I wish that he'd at least not give the feeling "Oh $#!^, Zala's on, we're not gonna score". I can only hope he'll improve in the future. Prove me wrong Marcelo, prove me wrong...

Zalayeta's 25 y.o. (1978)

aressandro10

Jul 30, 2003
if i not mistaken juventus signed zalayeta after 1997 Malaysia world youth cup .. where he is a prominent figure in the Uruguay team that goes all the way to the final at the tender age of 19.. thats is the potential mark of a world beater if u ask me.. saying that, the tounaments top scorer Brazilian Martins Adaiton is nowhere to be seen right now.. that sure says something too

paulo

Aug 14, 2002
++ [ originally posted by gray ] ++
Yes, but the problem is... that's the only time i can think of when he's produced the goods when we really needed him to. Maybe the Chievo game...but still...twice in the whole season!? Compared to the number of opportunities he had, he's impressed little last season. That said, It's not like we need to sell him and get a top class striker to replace him... but it's just that... I don't feel confident when he's on the field, and our fifth striker should at least give the feeling that he's adding to the team when he replaces the likes of DP, Trez. I'm not saying that he should be as good as these guys, but I wish that he'd at least not give the feeling "Oh $#!^, Zala's on, we're not gonna score". I can only hope he'll improve in the future. Prove me wrong Marcelo, prove me wrong...

Zalayeta's 25 y.o. (1978)
I think he just needs to get some more chances. Like when Salas was injured almost a whole season, Lippi only had DP, Trez, Di Vaio and him to choose from. Zala then got several chances, mainly in Coppa Italia, and impressed. I know that will be difficult to repeat, now that we have Miccoli instead of Salas, but if that would be possible it will be very good for Zala. And I hope he will have a better season than the last one.

Jul 12, 2002
Come on mates! Professional talent evaluators have made the decision over and over that Zala is not top cut, and he's 25 now, he's quickly running out of time to get there. He doesn't deserve chances over any of our other strikers, and in fact, the only reason he plays at all is because he is big.

JUVESUPPORTER

Aug 25, 2003
I think Zala is a good BACKUP. he causes the defence alot of hassle owing to his strength,determinatation and work-rate however I think it would be better FOR HIM to maybe join a lower club as to get first team selection.

IceBlu

Aug 26, 2003
he may not be Great but he sure as hell is a handy player to have up your sleeve.

he can be the difference when a game is really tight and the other strikers are just not able to find their way through.

I have faith in him and i think he deserves to be at Juve. And we do need a player of his type - Tall, good in the air, awkward to defend ....to cause problems in the opposing teams penalty area.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)