Zalayeta is a very good player. (1 Viewer)

Square

Oct 6, 2002
every time a transfer rumour comes up you all jump to say zalayeta should be sold instead as he is so terrible. this is a fallacy!

i cant see where this criticism comes from. hes very determined; always works hard. he has a much higher work rate then trezeguet, and he always closes down defenders. his finished is just amazing. look at the last game of the season against chievo. his first goal showed good off the ball movement as he first passed the ball to pessoto, and then what a finish! 30 yards out! also in that game, the second goal; brilliant first touch to bring down the mid height and fast birindelli cross, and a tight finish in the top corner. it was done quickly as well.

we all know hes strong in the air; against como last season to equalise. plus he doesnt mind sitting on the bench. how old is he? 24! all he needs is a chance and im sure hell deliver. theres a reason why cosmi said if he got zalayeta on loan he would turn him into capocannieri within a year.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Trezeguet_FC

Mar 26, 2003
yes, i agree with you that zalayeta is a great player and has much skill on and off the ball. But frankly speaking, i dont see him becoming a big superstar striker... some might disagree with me, but thats my opinion. but dont get me wrong. he is an undoubted talent and can turn a game 180 degrees. great sub IMO, but if there was a player that juve had to have let go of, i think he wouldnt have been a bad choice... once again thats my opinion....

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
I tend to disagree that Zalayeta is a great player. He's only "good" at best of times. He has poor dribbling and ball control, and is not that good good at heading and finishing as you would have us think Square. He lacks the positioning and the "fox in the box" instinct of great strikers like Treze, RVN, because he can in no way be compared to any other type of player. He lacks the pace and technique to be anything than a striker that waits in the box for which he lacks positioning, altho he tries to compensate it with his high work rate and determination. I believe he would be an OK striker for a smaller team, like Piacenza or Siena, altho I doubt he'd score more than 10 goals a season at best. If he couldnt do it in Juve, with world class players behind him, I cant see him doing it anywhere else, no matter how much he plays. If he was in fact such a big potental, he would have never been released from Sevilla where he was on loan. He was without a club and training in Uruguay when the call from Juventus came, due to Salas' injury.

Zalayeta's stats (from Juventus.com)

• 1995/96 Danubio 32 games 12 goals
    1996/97 Danubio 32 games 13 goals
    1997/98 Juventus 5 games 1 goal
    1998/99 Juventus 1 game 0 goals
    1998/99 Empoli 17 games 2 goals
    1999/00 Sevilla 29 games 5 goals
    2000/01 Sevilla 21 games 5 goals
    2001/02 Juventus 23 games 6 goals
    2002/03 Juventus 36 games 8 goals

Total 196 games 52 goals
    Total for Juventus 65 games 15 goals

OP
Square

Square

Oct 6, 2002
  • Thread Starter #4
    if he has such poor finishing, control and heading ability, how did he manage to score those 3 goals i mentioned? the strikers you mentioned; trezeguet and nistelrooy, arent good at dribbling either! plus the 38 games you mentioned in bold, include his substitution appearances, so in reality the statistics would be much more favourable to zalayeta, especially considering he does not regularly play first team football.

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
    Well I dont think 3 goals prove anything, and those games are starters + substitutions, but the fact is he has had a lot of chance to prove himself. I have nothing against Zalayeta, in fact I like him for his determination, but I just dont think he's Juve material. :)

Nad Treze and RVN are not so good at dribbling, but they have what Zalayeta lacks: better heading and finishing, positioning and the "killer instinct" :)

sateeh

Day Walker
    Jul 28, 2003
    I think he is a good sub.I don't think he is great player, but he can improve if he got more time as a starting forward.

I think his problem is that he "doesn't mind sitting on the bench"
    I think a player should fight for his place in the team

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by Square ] ++
    every time a transfer rumour comes up you all jump to say zalayeta should be sold instead as he is so terrible. this is a fallacy!

i cant see where this criticism comes from. hes very determined; always works hard. he has a much higher work rate then trezeguet, and he always closes down defenders. his finished is just amazing. look at the last game of the season against chievo. his first goal showed good off the ball movement as he first passed the ball to pessoto, and then what a finish! 30 yards out! also in that game, the second goal; brilliant first touch to bring down the mid height and fast birindelli cross, and a tight finish in the top corner. it was done quickly as well.

we all know hes strong in the air; against como last season to equalise. plus he doesnt mind sitting on the bench. how old is he? 24! all he needs is a chance and im sure hell deliver. theres a reason why cosmi said if he got zalayeta on loan he would turn him into capocannieri within a year.

Actually, Zalayeta and Olivera had a one-two pass in the first goal (Olivera's assist) and it was Di Vaios cross for the second goal. :)

Jul 28, 2002
    hang about, did u guys jus say RVN cant dribble???

what:fero:

guess u dont watch utd often, but rvn has a FANTASTIC touch and has done more dribles than many forwards that play in his style

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Aragorn ] ++
    Zalayeta is Good as a reserve Fifth striker nothing more.....
    :thumb:

he's not complaining, and he delivers goals when he's needed.

replacing him with a player like Cavinaghi would be a bad idea because the bench would be unhappy and it would destroy him.

once apon a time, juve bought talented players like Esnaider, Amoruso, and Fonseca who had a lot of potential, but when they sat on the bench their careers were destroyed and they didn't score much because they didnt play regularly.
    Zalayetta on the other hand can still score even if he sits on the bench for weeks straight!

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
    Zalayeta is a good back-up man with some potential, nothing more. He'll never be a big superstar as PM said, and I think that it would be better for HIM if he left Juve, simple because he would get more playing time.

JuveCampione

Sep 21, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Square ] ++

I agree with you. and how about that cracking goal against Dynamo Kiev? :eek:
    I like Zalayeta very mcuh, especially the way he celebrates :D
    Zalayeta has already proved that he is a GREAT fifth striker. so many goals he scored for us in coppa italia :thumb:and when he get his chance he can take it, like in the two last games of the season, with 3 goals.

conclusion: keep him!

Adrian

Jan 31, 2003
    he has improved since he first joined juve. but i believe he can only become better if he plays for a team which allows him a starting position.

Sure, he doesnt complain and probably got more playing time last season than everyone expected him to.

but at the end of the day, he is slow and doesnt pose such a huge threat when coming off the bench like a player such as Kovacevic did for example.

I know that Zalayeta is 5th striker, but still, if juve could bring in a striker with similar characteristics to Trez as a direct replacement and that player has a better scoring rate, then i believe Zalayeta should leave.

del pozzo

Jul 22, 2003
    zalayeta is a good striker but i dont think juve need him that much in the team. they already have 4 more strikers ahead of zalayeta and i dont think lippi will use him more often.

my_hitzJUVE

Dec 14, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Juve_4ever ] ++
    he is a good striker, but he don't have the 'striker's instinct' that's all
    yeah he is good but not very good.....

i don't like to see him even after he score the goal .....
    "What happen....what i've done....I score the goal???" No ethusiasm at all..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)