You want to see biased news reporting? Come and look at this BS (39 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Sergio ] ++

I didn't say that this was my interpretation of the general viewpoint of Arabs. I would have felt the same way if it was the European or Asian media who said the same thing, just like my feeelings that the UN rep who said the US was being "stingy" pissed me off to no end.

Idiocy is Idiocy, no matter who says it.

If you took it that way, my bad.

That still doesn't change my opinion that it was a disgraceful thing to say.
Well, to be completely honest, the US gives the least of it's average GDP to foreign aid among all rich countries.

Buy on AliExpress.com

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Zlatan ] ++

Well, to be completely honest, the US gives the least of it's average GDP to foreign aid among all rich countries.
So lets see now:

350 million in cash

90 Military helicopters carrying in excess of 65 million dollars worth of medical supplies, tents, cots, blankets and food.

Thousands of troops to deliver said supplies to the affected countries to not only deliver food but to aid in repairing roads and other infrastructure

12 aircraft carriers docked in various ports around the affected countries to act as medical facilities to treat the injured victims.

I'm sure all that stuff comes for free, Zlatan.

Here we go again with you.

aressandro10

Jul 30, 2003
Its really dissapointing to see how lilttle Arab countries donate and help considering Indonesia is a Islamic country :(

EDIT:at the same time i appreciate America raise their aid to 350 M from the initial 35M... maybe the stingy remarks do made the difference although Jan Engerlund refer it to US's donation to other disasters/fund prior to ASian Tsunami...

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
++ [ originally posted by aressandro10 ] ++
Its really dissapointing to see how lilttle Arab countries donate and help considering Indonesia is a Islamic country :(
That's a very good point.

Pardon my lack of knowledge on this, but is Indonesia, despite being an Islamic country, far more secular than other Islamic countries, and could that be the deciding factor in how minimal the contributions have been?

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
Pardon my lack of knowledge on this, but is Indonesia, despite being an Islamic country, far more secular than other Islamic countries, and could that be the deciding factor in how minimal the contributions have been?
Well without making the immediate assumption that is the reason the Arab community offered relatively little help; it's quite easy to say that Indonesia is more secular yes.

It's not a western society though, but the leadership in indonesia (nowadays!) is a bit more open towards the rest of the world.

I once even read an article in which it was argued that the roots for this secular policy lie in the fact that the Dutch never tried to force Christianity upon the natives when Indonesia was part of the Dutch empire... Who knows, but it's a fact yes.

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003

So lets see now:

350 million in cash

90 Military helicopters carrying in excess of 65 million dollars worth of medical supplies, tents, cots, blankets and food.

Thousands of troops to deliver said supplies to the affected countries to not only deliver food but to aid in repairing roads and other infrastructure

12 aircraft carriers docked in various ports around the affected countries to act as medical facilities to treat the injured victims.

I'm sure all that stuff comes for free, Zlatan.

Here we go again with you.

I'm just stating the facts, I didnt make the list dude, no need to shoot the messenger ;)

OP
Bjerknes

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #92
    To any of smart the people who decided to say CNN and NBC made this stuff up, and shifted the blame back on everything that is US, well done. You just got slapped in the face.

Thank you, Sergio, for getting the video, as all the Muslim people here can take a look and read the headlines themselves. I will go and find the CNN video as well for your enjoyment.

Dan

Back & Quack
    Mar 9, 2004
    I never said the stuff was made up. But the very fact that the media told the public is anti saudi (ie it is intended to make people believe that the saudis are anti american nuts)

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001
    ++ [ originally posted by Bürke ] ++
    F uckin Islamics just hate us because we are trying to steal their oil, bastards. We should just create an army of Helghast and take over all of the Middle East.
    Even better: we finally switch to the watercell fuelled car and leave them be with their oil. Let China carry the madness with their increasing demand and inferior technology :D

Dan

Back & Quack
    Mar 9, 2004
    F uckin Islamics just hate us because we are trying to steal their oil, bastards. We should just create an army of Helghast and take over all of the Middle East.
    Yeah, and then those whining creeps would finally shut up ;)

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Zlatan ] ++

That's cheap Zlatan....

The US Gov. does give and does give a lot.

How the US have dealt with this Tsunami is one of the things that make me very proud to be an American.

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
    This just had to be quoted.

Burke. It's been tried before. Ever heard of the Crusades? They failed.

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
    But yet this is hardly different than the political and moralistic fallout of any major disaster regardless of its location. And people in America are just as guilty...

I remember following the 1989 quake that hit the SF Bay Area, and all these bible thumpers in the Deep South said God was enacting revenge against gays and their sinful ways. (Somehow overlooking the fact that the earthquake was not located under the Castro District in SF, but rather under deeply religious migrant farmworkers in Watsonville, CA.)

Humans throughout history have tried to attribute some higher moral meaning to major catastrophe, invoking religion, gods, and some personal perspective/sense of cosmic justice in order to explain it all. Major disasters bring out the conspiracy theory kooks in droves.

++ [ originally posted by Andy ] ++
    To any of smart the people who decided to say CNN and NBC made this stuff up, and shifted the blame back on everything that is US, well done. You just got slapped in the face.

Thank you, Sergio, for getting the video, as all the Muslim people here can take a look and read the headlines themselves. I will go and find the CNN video as well for your enjoyment.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 39)