YEAREND-Year of problems for the world game (1 Viewer)

ReBeL

The Jackal
Jan 14, 2005
LONDON, Dec 8 (Reuters) - The World Cup finals provided the perfect metaphor for the state of soccer in 2006.

The game remains the jewel in the world's sporting crown but its value is slowly being eroded because of deep and possibly irreparable flaws.

Even Italy's joy at becoming world champions had a sting in the tail for within days of their triumph on penalties over France in the Berlin final, the biggest soccer scandal in the country's history reached its climax.

Two of the biggest clubs in the world: Juventus and AC Milan, along with Fiorentina, Lazio and Reggina, were severely punished for their roles in a long-running match-fixing disgrace, with Juve stripped of their 2005 and 2006 titles and demoted, forcing them to play in Serie B for the first time in their 109-year history.

On-field problems blighted the World Cup and while some of the football played in Germany's month-long fiesta was magnificent, too much of it was merely adequate or forgettable and the negatives outweighed the positives.

Although there was less violent play than at previous tournaments, there was more diving, more cheating and more feigning injury and unless FIFA deal with those issues swiftly and harshly the sporting fabric of the game will become increasingly threadbare.

Before they exited after losing on penalties to Germany in the quarter-finals, Argentina provided many of the positive memories and their 24-pass move that lead to Esteban Cambiasso's goal in a 6-0 first-round demolition of Serbia & Montenegro was one of the best in the competition's history.

Maxi Rodriguez's unstoppable volley in their 2-1 second-round, extra-time victory over Mexico a few days later was a classic goal which settled a classic match.

Italy's 2-0 semi-final win over Germany was the best match of the tournament.

CAREER END

In stark contrast, the final between Italy and France was one of the most disappointing of all time for the neutral observer and will be forever remembered for Zinedine Zidane's head-butt on Marco Materazzi rather than for much of the football.

The irony was that the two had each scored in the 1-1 stalemate.

By the time Italy were crowned world champions following the penalty shootout, Zidane was back in the dressing room after being red-carded for the head-butt, his glittering career ending in a stunning anti-climax.

At least the organisation in Germany was world class, and Berlin's innovative Fan Mile where millions enjoyed themselves showed a new, young, smiling German face to the world.

In stark contrast to the fine impression Argentina made at the World Cup, the nation's domestic game was blighted by the violence of hard-core "barras bravas" hooligans. Games were abandoned, players threatened and the championship nearly suspended.

Diving was not confined to the World Cup and is becoming a huge problem throughout the game, with players ever more adept at conning referees.

FIFA President Sepp Blatter is aware of the problem but while FIFA continues to preach that "football must retain its human face" and not allow video technology to decide issues that could be settled by a television replay in seconds, the problem is unlikely to go away soon.

FIFA had plenty of other worries. The whole future of international soccer, and perhaps even of the World Cup itself, faces a possible threat over an issue that began in Belgium and could eventually affect all 207 FIFA members.

A test case will be heard by Europe's highest court in 2007 to decide whether a player's club or national association is responsible for picking up the bill if he is injured on national duty.

If the court decides it is the national association's responsibility, football will be in deep trouble as many smaller, poorer FAs will be unable to afford to finance their national teams. A similar case is pending in the French courts.

BARCA SHINE

FIFA are also becoming increasingly concerned by rich men buying up clubs abroad with the balance of power in domestic leagues becoming ever more restricted to the rich, powerful few.

While Manchester United, Chelsea and Liverpool have been bought, or could be bought, by foreign tycoons, Barcelona is one club unlikely ever to be poached by an overseas mogul.

They crowned a triumphant year by winning the Spanish League and European Cup and are looking to add to those titles by winning the FIFA Club World Championship in Tokyo this month.

Blatter declared himself happy with South Africa's 2010 World Cup preparations, scotching rumours that the tournament might have to be moved.

Kenya, where soccer descended into chaos with two rival groups trying to run parallel championships with the same teams, were barred from international competition indefinitely by FIFA in October.

Egypt became the first country to win the African Nations Cup five times, beating Ivory Coast 4-2 in a penalty shootout in February's final.

The year marked the passing, at the age of 79, of one of the game's greatest players, Ferenc Puskas of Hungary, who died in November after a long illness.

Tele Santana, 74, who coached Brazil in two World Cups, Italian defensive giant Giacinto Facchetti, 64, former England manager Ron Greenwood, 84, Chelsea great Peter Osgood, 59 and Jimmy Johnstone, 61, who won the European Cup with Celtic in 1967 and was voted the club's greatest player, also died.

By Mike Collett

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think 2006 will be always remembered by us as the worst year in Juve's history...

I hope we won't see another year as bad and bitter as 2006...

It's so clear that Mr. Collett is an Argentina fan, and he is alittle biased for them...

Anyway, can anybody post a link for that 24-pass Cambiasso's goal from its beginning to the end??

Buy on AliExpress.com

Jun-hide

Dec 16, 2002
Mark you know the funniest thing is?

If I didnt buy a packet of ciagrette and put 10dollar into the match,

I probably had $10,000 in my bank account right now. As they say hindsight is 20/20.:D

Oh, Cambiasso goal is the greatest goal to ever in a WC. Better than the Brazilian one against Italia in 1970.

But the writer raises a genuine point. There are too many players trying to cone the ref (I am not going to details on this again) these days. It seems to me players cant be trusted to value their moral principles and given the freedom. It doesnt even require the introduction of technology during the game. If a team brings a diving case into a technical panel of UEFA and respective referees for a review, then having gone through a process of deliberation, any results which have been determined by such cheating should be nullified, teams docked point, and a player goes through 3 game minimum suspension.

That will keep them pretty straight you know, with challenges coming from behind, though Mr Wenger might complain about this, not surprisingly, again.

AS a reference, one exception should be FIFA. God know's what Blatter will be up to with video technology as his toy. He might order the final to replayed until his team won the match, just like most of you guys probably do with FM.

Marc

Softcore Juventino
Jul 14, 2006
Jun-hide said:
Mark you know the funniest thing is?

If I didnt buy a packet of ciagrette and put 10dollar into the match,

I probably had $10,000 in my bank account right now. As they say hindsight is 20/20.:D

Oh, Cambiasso goal is the greatest goal to ever in a WC. Better than the Brazilian one against Italia in 1970.

But the writer raises a genuine point. There are too many players trying to cone the ref (I am not going to details on this again) these days. It seems to me players cant be trusted to value their moral principles and given the freedom. It doesnt even require the introduction of technology during the game. If a team brings a diving case into a technical panel of UEFA and respective referees for a review, then having gone through a process of deliberation, any results which have been determined by such cheating should be nullified, teams docked point, and a player goes through 3 game minimum suspension.

That will keep them pretty straight you know, with challenges coming from behind, though Mr Wenger might complain about this, not surprisingly, again.

AS a reference, one exception should be FIFA. God know's what Blatter will be up to with video technology as his toy. He might order the final to replayed until his team won the match, just like most of you guys probably do with FM.
:shifty:
I don´t cheat in FM. :angel: :D

Jun-hide

Dec 16, 2002
Don Bes said:
how much is a pack of cigarettes in japan?
Lucky Strike (My favorite) costs about 300 yen or so on a automatic selling machine (I don't know the English name for it:D ). But I was more or so thinking the price in Britain, which is about 5 sterling pounds. The price just shocked me, and I cant get it out of my head.

You know what though, it does make you smoke less with price that exorbiantly high. And plus a packet of Malborough instead of Lucky Strike also has such effect as well!

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
Jun-hide said:
You know what though, it does make you smoke less with price that exorbiantly high.
It's not supposed to. It's supposed to pay for all the insanely high hospital bills for smokers so that they pay their own cancer treatment bills rather than burden society with the costs.

Jan 7, 2004
Jun-hide said:
Lucky Strike (My favorite) costs about 300 yen or so on a automatic selling machine (I don't know the English name for it:D ). But I was more or so thinking the price in Britain, which is about 5 sterling pounds. The price just shocked me, and I cant get it out of my head.

You know what though, it does make you smoke less with price that exorbiantly high. And plus a packet of Malborough instead of Lucky Strike also has such effect as well!

5 punds = 11.26 Canadians (not very far from what i am paying here)

Marc

Softcore Juventino
Jul 14, 2006
Jun-hide said:
Sure you don't.:p

Not even when Inter beat Juve in CL-Semis?

BTW, I am not too big a fan of FM. Games are far better with console, especially Winning Eleven.
I like both games, I play FM when I want to be alone and Winning Eleven when I want some company...

Jun-hide

Dec 16, 2002
Erik-with-a-k said:
It's not supposed to. It's supposed to pay for all the insanely high hospital bills for smokers so that they pay for their own habits and consequences rather than saddle society with their burden.
Erik,

I know the "politically correct" term is not to smoke because of the passive smoking and burden on health bill all that,

but when you don't go without a nicotine in your blood for more than 4 hours or so, one ciagrette can look like a gold.

On a side note, in Japan we don't have free national health service as Europeans do, although our medical insurance bill is somewhat progressive and there is an element of subsidization, but nonetheless it is pretty much to say if a smoker suffers from lung cancer then he/she pretty much has to pay the bill for the consequences. So I will extricate myself from such moral obligations:p , although I do know that the bed used for lung cancers can still be used for other purposes - and I realize that my stance on this is truly indefensible.

But as they say, habit is truly hard to dispense especially blood urging for more nicotine.

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
Jun-hide said:
Erik,

I know the "politically correct" term is not to smoke because of the passive smoking and burden on health bill all that,

but when you don't go without a nicotine in your blood for more than 4 hours or so, one ciagrette can look like a gold.
Oh I wasn't judging. I'm absolutely hooked on coffee myself. I'm expecting an ulcer by the time I hit the age of 37.

On a side note, in Japan we don't have free national health service as Europeans do, although our medical insurance bill is somewhat progressive and there is an element of subsidization, but nonetheless it is pretty much to say if a smoker suffers from lung cancer then he/she pretty much has to pay the bill for the consequences. So I will extricate myself from such moral obligations:p , although I do know that the bed used for lung cancers can still be used for other purposes - and I realize that my stance on this is truly indefensible.

But as they say, habit is truly hard to dispense especially blood urging for more nicotine.
Was just explaining why we charge insane amounts for cigarettes in Europe. Scandinavia has taken that to alcohol as well. Holland won't get to that point since we revised our national health system somewhat in 2005 but there's something to be said for it I guess.

I should mention though, that I am one of those people who shove smokers to the side if they dare light a cigarette anywhere near me on a railway platform or any space of the sort. :eyebrows: At least my coffee habit doesn't hurt anyone. I think. Unless you count the outbursts of rage but coffee only fuels that so... :D

Jun-hide

Dec 16, 2002
Don Bes said:
5 punds = 11.26 Canadians (not very far from what i am paying here)
Wow, I pity for the smokers of Canada.

Mind you with altruistic purposes behind the price, your government is doing a good thing.

But where do you smoke in Canada in winter? I know a girl who lived in Toronto told me, her cigarette literally froze the moment she put a lighter to puff.:D. I smoke a bit, but there is nothing more I hate than my room filled with smell from smoke.

Jun-hide

Dec 16, 2002
Erik-with-a-k said:
Oh I wasn't judging. I'm absolutely hooked on coffee myself. I'm expecting an ulcer by the time I hit the age of 37.

Was just explaining why we charge insane amounts for cigarettes in Europe. Scandinavia has taken that to alcohol as well. Holland won't get to that point since we revised our national health system somewhat in 2005 but there's something to be said for it I guess.

I should mention though, that I am one of those people who shove smokers to the side if they dare light a cigarette anywhere near me on a railway platform or any space of the sort. :eyebrows: At least my coffee habit doesn't hurt anyone. I think. Unless you count the outbursts of rage but coffee only fuels that so... :D
If a guy pushes me at a station, I will keep a reminder to know that the person will be you then.:D .

But yeah I agree, I don't think it is right that smokers can cause lung cancers to those who hasnt even seen a ciagrette in their life. However, most people in Japan don't lit their cigarette in public places - there are social perceptions that prohibit such actions. On the contrary, I feel passive smoking is worse amongst smokers. You know, when I smoke with fellow smokers during the work break, etc, I would probably take in more bad nicotines from them than from my own puff. :pumpkin: .

As a side reference, I am pretty sure British pub won't be your favorite destination. Even I find the smell to be somewhat repulsive.

BTW, good thing I am not too much of a coffee drinker. I never knew coffee was so bad for your health.

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
Jun-hide said:
If a guy pushes me at a station, I will keep a reminder to know that the person will be you then.:D .

But yeah I agree, I don't think it is right that smokers can cause lung cancers to those who hasnt even seen a ciagrette in their life. However, most people in Japan don't lit their cigarette in public places - there are social perceptions that prohibit such actions. On the contrary, I feel passive smoking is worse amongst smokers. You know, when I smoke with fellow smokers during the work break, etc, I would probably take in more bad nicotines from them than from my own puff. :pumpkin: .
Good point.

As a side reference, I am pretty sure British pub won't be your favorite destination. Even I find the smell to be somewhat repulsive.
What I hate most about British pups is that, even when you finally found one where there is nobody smoking inside at that moment, when you sit down on a sofa too hard, clouds of smoke puf out of the thing. You can't get away from it:lazy:

BTW, good thing I am not too much of a coffee drinker. I never knew coffee was so bad for your health.
The cafeine is a killer

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)