Yahoo! Launch (1 Viewer)

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
Yahoo's Launchcast lets your customise your own station. Anyone have one?

LAUNCHcast is a streaming music service allowing you to create your own customized station tailored to your tastes. Rate artists and albums highly to hear them often and ban the ones you hate! You can also listen to our extensive collection of pre-made stations created by our editorial staff.
We can share. If this takes off, I'll post all of the links on this post and make it sticky.

Stations so far:

Mikhail
Dharurat
Edgar
Juve Bella
el_02

Buy on AliExpress.com
OP
mikhail

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
  • Thread Starter #4
    ++ [ originally posted by Erik ] ++
    That don't work for me... :undecide:
    Using Firefox? It's the only reason I still have IE installed. It doesn't work with anything else. :down:

++ [ originally posted by Elnur_E65 ] ++
    This is interesting. Is there any trance music there?
    Probably. It has just about everything.

OP
    mikhail

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
  • Thread Starter #6
    Unfortunately not...

That resource dominated by American music. And you have to pay for most of the stations...
    True, it's really an English-speaking site, which now that you mention it, does kind of limit the interest here. :groan:

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
    "Launchcast" pretty much describes what I did with the falafel sandwich I had for lunch after listening to some of its recommended music selections... :yuck:

OP
    mikhail

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
  • Thread Starter #8
    ++ [ originally posted by swag ] ++
    "Launchcast" pretty much describes what I did with the falafel sandwich I had for lunch after listening to some of its recommended music selections... :yuck:
    Which is why you make your own station. :p

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
    For internet Radio, I just use winamp's radio streams.

I play these stations the most:
    Mostly Classical
    Hitzradio
    Smooth Jazz
    Magnatune

I don't really like Launch... I like to use my own player. and the IE thing is annoying.

Majed

Jul 17, 2002

Ok, so you just choose songs out of the list of available ones? Or you have to upload stuff?
    IIRC, you make abstract selections of genres, then you fine tune the station as it plays by constantly rating the songs that come on. It adjusts by reducing the number of times that songs with lower ratings play (and songs similar to them).

OP
    mikhail

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
  • Thread Starter #12
    Yep, Majed has it. You can rate particular bands/artists on a sliding scale (from ***** to "never play again"), and individual songs too. It takes a while to get the whole thing tuned, but I've found a lot of nice songs on it. Ever hear Tori Amos sing "Smells Like Teen Spirit"? Bloomin' marvelous.

Dharurat

Oct 16, 2002
    in the beginning you do get a whole lot of crap bands, but if you rate bands/ genre that you like, Launch usually plays bands that is close to that genre.. Say, you rate bands like At The Drive In at 4 stars (maximum), so Launch will tend to gravitate towards bands such as those... The selection is quite good, they have even releases from a lot of indie labels, and i was surprised hpw big a selection they have... They have extensive collections (even singles and ep's) from big bands and even from bands that are not too big like Liars, Les Savy Fav, TV On The Radio, Midtown, Refused, Neutral Milk Hotel, Fugazi etc.. And of course they even have music videos...

OP
    mikhail

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
  • Thread Starter #19
    Excellent. I've added Dharurat's station to the first post. First song I heard on it was Hendrix's "Foxey Lady", which is quite funny, because I was sent this link only yesterday:
    http://www.iosart.com/foxytunes/firefox/
    for a plug-in for Firefox which lets you control your media player within the browser. I must get around to installing it.

Edgar

Feb 2, 2005
    This is interesting. Is there any trance music there?

OK, here is mine. Enjoy! Main artists: Delerium, David Guetta, The Chemical Brothers, Paul Van Dyk, Air, Paul Oakenfold, David Gray, Rob Dougan, Juno Reactor, The Prodigy, Underworld. It also features some trance artists.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)